Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Snakes in Brissie

Snakes in Brissie

Old Apr 24th 2017, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

Pete39 has a reputation beyond reputePete39 has a reputation beyond reputePete39 has a reputation beyond reputePete39 has a reputation beyond reputePete39 has a reputation beyond reputePete39 has a reputation beyond reputePete39 has a reputation beyond reputePete39 has a reputation beyond reputePete39 has a reputation beyond reputePete39 has a reputation beyond reputePete39 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Snakes in Brissie

Hi there,

Can I get a idea from forum users about how common snakes are in the 'burbs of Brisbane. My daughter is most definitely not keen on the things and is pretty much every day telling me that snakes are her worst nightmare. I haven't said anything to her but I do worry that if it not so uncommon to find them in the home and we do have an encounter one day, it might send her over the edge! She has watched on telly over here Australia's worst Pests or something like that and saw a huge snake being removed from someone's wardrobe in Brissie. So, do you need to be on the edge of bush land to have this - or not?
Old Apr 24th 2017, 9:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Snakes in Brissie

In my 20 years in Brisbane I've never encountered a snake in my house. Have had a python in the garden, accidentally run one over in my street, seen green tree snakes in the trees next to my house and nearly walked into an angry big boy in the dark on a river walk. So even though they're not rare, it's uncommon to encounter one in your house.
Old Apr 24th 2017, 9:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

garyp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of light

Not to worry you won't see them in the house as they are sleeping in the attic space and only come out when you are sleeping for food
Old Apr 24th 2017, 9:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

SoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond repute

Been living in Brissy for four years and seen two big carpet snakes and maybe four green tree snakes in our yard. On all of our bush walks (lots) maybe seen half a dozen snakes. On the roads have seen maybe a dozen slithering across plus a few dead ones. Never had one in the house but then again we're careful to always close our screen doors. We did have to evict a gorgeous blue tounged lizard once though. We are in suburbia but close to a creek.

Not an epidemic but you do have to be wary because they are about.
Old Apr 25th 2017, 12:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Live 12kms in an outer suburb of Brissy and their was a White Crowned snake in my garden last night (first time I've every seen one but they are supposed to be common), it slithered away as soon as it saw me.
I regularly see Green Tree snakes in my garden during the day (once a month) but they are all harmless and I've never had one in my house.
Wildlife is far more abundant here than in the UK and I consider it one of the main attractions of Oz. As time goes by pets will gradually obliterate this profusion of wildlife, sadly.
My last 5 years in the UK was in a house next to green belt and during those 5 years I only once saw an animal (grey squirrel) in my very large garden.

Rather than be afraid of snakes (and other animals) try and encourage her to visit zoo's and other places where she can appreciate the profusion of wildlife around her instead of being afraid of it.
Old Apr 25th 2017, 11:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

10 yrs in south east of Brisbane had an 8ft carpet python in the garden for 2 days ( didn't like to interrupt it as it looked quite at peace with itself and i was still shit scared cos i didn't have a clue what kind it was at the time) a small snake that disappeared into the house weep hole (and was never seen again) and according to the pest man a snake skin had been left in the roof void when he was doin his business 1 year. Add a couple of grass snakes along the street in the bush with the roos and koalas and there you have it. Can't say i've ever knowingly seen any nasty spiders into the bargain but i'm sure they will be hanging around somewhere
Old Apr 26th 2017, 10:04 pm
Forum Regular

Pete39 has a reputation beyond reputePete39 has a reputation beyond reputePete39 has a reputation beyond reputePete39 has a reputation beyond reputePete39 has a reputation beyond reputePete39 has a reputation beyond reputePete39 has a reputation beyond reputePete39 has a reputation beyond reputePete39 has a reputation beyond reputePete39 has a reputation beyond reputePete39 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwipaul
Live 12kms in an outer suburb of Brissy and their was a White Crowned snake in my garden last night (first time I've every seen one but they are supposed to be common), it slithered away as soon as it saw me.
I regularly see Green Tree snakes in my garden during the day (once a month) but they are all harmless and I've never had one in my house.
Wildlife is far more abundant here than in the UK and I consider it one of the main attractions of Oz. As time goes by pets will gradually obliterate this profusion of wildlife, sadly.
My last 5 years in the UK was in a house next to green belt and during those 5 years I only once saw an animal (grey squirrel) in my very large garden.

Rather than be afraid of snakes (and other animals) try and encourage her to visit zoo's and other places where she can appreciate the profusion of wildlife around her instead of being afraid of it.
Thanks for this Kiwipaul, yes I like your thinking. Took her to Pets at Home this evening and showed her how cute the little 6 inch long snakes are! Small steps.
Can I ask, are snakes something you think about going about your daily business - if say you are in the garden do you have to think about making sure the door and windows are shut or are they not that much of an issue?
Old Apr 26th 2017, 11:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pete39
Thanks for this Kiwipaul, yes I like your thinking. Took her to Pets at Home this evening and showed her how cute the little 6 inch long snakes are! Small steps.
Can I ask, are snakes something you think about going about your daily business - if say you are in the garden do you have to think about making sure the door and windows are shut or are they not that much of an issue?
You would certainly think about snakes while doing the gardening during summer. Don't worry too much about them inside the house, worry about stepping on a deadly one in long grass or under garden debris. There are very dangerous snakes that have venom that kills humans but just be vigilant in situations where you may encounter them, usually that's not inside your house.
Old Apr 27th 2017, 6:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

No. If I find a snake (or any animal) whilst gardening I consider it a bonus.
Yes I do make sure all my doors and windows are closed but that is because I HATE spiders.
When I first arrived when I'd go bush walking I'd wear heavy boots long jeans and socks with the jeans tucked into them.
Now I go bush walking in flip flops no socks and shorts and don't think twice about it. Wildlife here is far more prolific than in the UK which is one of the joys of living here.
Old Apr 27th 2017, 8:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Kiwipaul
No. If I find a snake (or any animal) whilst gardening I consider it a bonus.
Yes I do make sure all my doors and windows are closed but that is because I HATE spiders.
When I first arrived when I'd go bush walking I'd wear heavy boots long jeans and socks with the jeans tucked into them.
Now I go bush walking in flip flops no socks and shorts and don't think twice about it. Wildlife here is far more prolific than in the UK which is one of the joys of living here.
King brown in the garden is not a bonus!😉
Old Apr 27th 2017, 11:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute

On the plus side very few people die from snake bites. Get treatment promptly and, yes it is unpleasant and painful but usually rarely fatal.

A gardener died in SA a few years back after being bitten by a brown snake, he ignored the bite and didn't seek treatment until it was too late. We get less snakes here in SA but they are all venomous ones. I love the pythons!

More recently we have been invaded by Portuguese millipedes and I have evicted a few small lizards , no idea how they keep getting in I block as much as I can!
Old Apr 29th 2017, 12:02 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks to all that replied to my question. I shall work on my daughter a little more to try and reduce the snake fear factor!
Old May 10th 2017, 3:14 am
Coventry to Caloundra....

joeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,

Can I get a idea from forum users about how common snakes are in the 'burbs of Brisbane. My daughter is most definitely not keen on the things and is pretty much every day telling me that snakes are her worst nightmare. I haven't said anything to her but I do worry that if it not so uncommon to find them in the home and we do have an encounter one day, it might send her over the edge! She has watched on telly over here Australia's worst Pests or something like that and saw a huge snake being removed from someone's wardrobe in Brissie. So, do you need to be on the edge of bush land to have this - or not?
not sure if this helping or scaring - but if you want to know about snakes in the brisbane region check out the snakecatcher page
https://www.facebook.com/www.snakecatchers.com.au/
Old May 14th 2017, 4:38 pm
Forum Regular

Yeah. Probably has not helped but thank you anyway!
Old May 16th 2017, 9:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

I live in a rural area and I have only seen one snake. They are out there but they don't want any piece of you. Though, Queensland does have that snake (species is escaping my memory this morning) that lunges down at people from trees as they walk under.

If you get bitten by a venomous snake the important thing is DON'T MOVE. Moving causes the venom to circulate through the body faster. Most people ignore that, panic, run etc and that makes things x times worse. One of the Aboriginal traditional customs was if bitten by a venomous snake, lay down in place (immediately) for 3 days both as it stopped the venom circulating but also gave your body enough time to break it down.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.