Wikiposts

Snakes Alive

Old Dec 6th 2006, 12:44 pm
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Snakes Alive

Originally Posted by renth
With respect Pookster you obviously don't know how much damage cats do to native wildlife.

I love cats but strongly belive they should be banned in Australia.
OMG can't believe a cat did that!! I have a cat but she is a house cat. She will step into the garden on occasions but thats about it. I won't let her roam about for hours unattended outside. Never would i have imagined a cat would do things like that on the picture..what is it??
Old Dec 6th 2006, 1:25 pm
Absinthe Minded

Del Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by nickyc
Yes, but there are suburbs and suburbs.....

If you live in a brand-new newly-built suburb that happens to be on top of (or next to) an area where snakes live, then obviously you're going to get snakes coming round to have a look.

If you live in an older suburb, completely surrounded by other suburbs and miles from any snake habitat, then you're not going to see any.

The suburb where I live is built on sand dunes, and when it was first developed (80 years ago) there were snakes in abundance. They're long gone now, though - last snake seen around here was about 50 years ago.
Interesting article in the weekend courier mail a couple of weeks ago about the Brisbane snake catcher and the number of snakes he catches each year in the city itself, including several caught IN high rises.
Old Dec 6th 2006, 1:28 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Snake Removal from Private Property in the Perth Metropolitan area of Western Australia:

http://members.iinet.net.au/~bush/busters.html

Old Dec 6th 2006, 1:51 pm
sel
~~~

sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute

With respect Pookster you obviously don't know how much damage cats do to native wildlife.

And with respect ... the main word to go with that is FERAL

http://www.deh.gov.au/biodiversity/i...cat/index.html

The feral cat population is usually added to by the Aussies themselves for not bothering to get their male cats neutered and when they run off they just let them get on with it (as said by our local ranger).

I have had recent experience of having to trap a feral cat and when I asked the ranger where I should take it , I was told to either find someone with a gun or get the vet to put it to sleep.
Old Dec 6th 2006, 2:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

My mum lives in a retirement complex and they have their own in house snake catcher. He died a couple of months ago. died from a snake bite. true story.
Old Dec 6th 2006, 3:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

My BIL lives in Canberra, has a large block of land there. One of his jack russell dogs was bitten & killed by a brown snake last year Then last week another of his dogs was bitten by a red bellied black snake, the dog survived thank god, but the snake didnt !!!

Nicky
Old Dec 6th 2006, 4:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

kellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond repute

Can't agree more. I made the decision to leave my 3 cats in the UK as I knew it was the right thing to do, for them and the local wildlife, cried myself silly over this decision but you can't let your heart rule your head

Old Dec 6th 2006, 4:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

kellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond repute

House cats also kill, and not because they are hungry but usually to bring you home a present or out of boredom

Originally Posted by sel
And with respect ... the main word to go with that is FERAL

http://www.deh.gov.au/biodiversity/i...cat/index.html

The feral cat population is usually added to by the Aussies themselves for not bothering to get their male cats neutered and when they run off they just let them get on with it (as said by our local ranger).

I have had recent experience of having to trap a feral cat and when I asked the ranger where I should take it , I was told to either find someone with a gun or get the vet to put it to sleep.
Old Dec 6th 2006, 7:25 pm
sel
~~~

sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute

I was just offering a little perspective
Old Dec 6th 2006, 7:30 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.liberators.com.au/
Old Dec 6th 2006, 8:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iPom
That's the wife's Christmas present sorted, thanks
Old Dec 6th 2006, 8:31 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ian & Sharon
That's the wife's Christmas present sorted, thanks

Pleasure. I hope it gives you both many happy hours together.
Old Dec 6th 2006, 8:47 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kellyjs
Can't agree more. I made the decision to leave my 3 cats in the UK as I knew it was the right thing to do, for them and the local wildlife, cried myself silly over this decision but you can't let your heart rule your head
I left my baby behind for the same reason, miss her heaps but she is still in her own home spoilt rotten and roaming her natural habitat. Each to his own though.
Old Dec 6th 2006, 9:01 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Apropos of nothing in particular IIRC I saw a year or two back that UK domestic cats are thought to kill 80m birds a year. No idea if that's even ballpark though!
Old Dec 6th 2006, 9:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Louise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kellyjs

Me too. I left my 2 cats behind but brought the dog. I really didnt want the cats slaughtering everything. They both had 2 bells each on their collars but still managed to kill birds and mice.

Re the snakes: if you put chicken wire flat on the ground they may not cross it as they dont like the feel of it. Also a couple of well placed tin cans with the lids pushed inside is a fairly good trap as they push their heads inside to look for prey and then cant get their heads out. However what you do with them when you find a stuck snake is your problem

Louise

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.