Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Snake question???

Snake question???

Old Sep 28th 2004, 1:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Snake question???

Kids just went down for a swim and they saw a small brown snake in a fish tail fern tree thats only about 4/5 foot tall.

So tree snakes come in green usually but also brown? but do brown snakes - the deadly ones I mean climb?

The browns I have seen have always been on the ground, but its getting warm now breeding season has started so pretty worried it could have been a baby brown not a tree snake and of course one baby always means more. The damn thing moved before I got to it and only saw part of the body.

Plenty of snake websites but buggared if I can find one that says if they climb or not. Second snake sighting in 3 days, we saw a large red belly black run over on Sunday.
Old Sep 28th 2004, 2:17 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Re: Snake question???

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Kids just went down for a swim and they saw a small brown snake in a fish tail fern tree thats only about 4/5 foot tall.

So tree snakes come in green usually but also brown? but do brown snakes - the deadly ones I mean climb?

The browns I have seen have always been on the ground, but its getting warm now breeding season has started so pretty worried it could have been a baby brown not a tree snake and of course one baby always means more. The damn thing moved before I got to it and only saw part of the body.

Plenty of snake websites but buggared if I can find one that says if they climb or not. Second snake sighting in 3 days, we saw a large red belly black run over on Sunday.
I think most snakes can "climb", I know pythons can - and grass snakes can ( used to keep wild grass snakes as pets). Brown colour.. It could be anything, there are lots of snakes here which are brown, most of them are not taipans etc . I've only seen a few tree snakes myself ( they are usually hard to spot) , and like you say most of them tend to be green - BUT.. there is a snake which is called a house snake, I don't know if we have them here, I haven't got my books on me. When I was in Sing, my cat brought in this little brown snake, around too foot long. It was called a house snake.. they tend to climb up houses in-between the bricks etc. We may have them here, I don't know, or it goes by a different name here

http://www.epa.qld.gov.au/nature_con...wn_tree_snake/
a brown tree snake

cheers

P.s taipans must be able to "climb" - thinking about it, one of my neighbours has lost a few of her birds ( budgies) to brown snakes over the years which she keeps in a cage outside her house. and they sit on a perch, so to get to them they must climb. The ones I've seen are on the ground

Last edited by Ceri; Sep 28th 2004 at 2:25 am.
Old Sep 28th 2004, 3:18 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Ceri
When I was in Sing, my cat brought in this little brown snake, around too foot long.
What happened to the cat? Did it use one of it's 9 lives?
Old Sep 28th 2004, 3:24 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally Posted by JulesandChris
What happened to the cat? Did it use one of it's 9 lives?
It wasn't venomous. what happened to him, he's locked up in the house now here in Aus.
He has a habit of bringing things in.. one time he brought a rat in , and it was still alive..I was walking around a corner into the kitcher, my cat was coming the other way with this bl**dy big dirty rat in his mouth that he caught in a storm drain, I screamed , he shot up in the air. dropped the rat, which lay on it's back kicking it's legs, don't know who was the most shocked - me, my cat from me screaming at him, or the dying rat..lol

Last edited by Ceri; Sep 28th 2004 at 3:27 am.
Old Sep 28th 2004, 7:37 am
Down Under and Lovin It

Jacko1 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by jad n rich

Most snakes do climb trees, my uncle (in Eight mile plains) had fifteen snakes in one of his smallish garden trees, one morning, it looked like the tree was alive. :scared:

PJ

Last edited by Jacko1; Sep 28th 2004 at 7:51 am.
Old Sep 28th 2004, 7:44 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Jacko1
Most snakes do climb my uncle
Does he charge people to watch?

lol sos, I couldnt' help myself when I read that.
Old Sep 28th 2004, 7:52 am
Down Under and Lovin It

Jacko1 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by JulesandChris
Does he charge people to watch?

lol sos, I couldnt' help myself when I read that.
Yup to quick on the keyboard!!

Edited now

PJ
Old Sep 28th 2004, 7:52 am
Forum Regular

Tooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud of

Come to Noo Zelund-the only snakes here live in the Beehive(Paliament).