Reload this Page >

Snake Phobia!!!!

Snake Phobia!!!!

Old Jan 29th 2006, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

Gold Coasters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Snake Phobia!!!!

Originally Posted by chrissie181
Is there any one else out there that has a snake phobia!
I dont mean I dont like the creatures. I'm absolutely petrified of them.

I just need some practical advice as Iv heard they do slither into suburbia.

What can I do to help prevent a snake getting onto my property is there any kind of deterrent?
Also if I am faced with one what the hell do I do. Is there a pest control or somebody I can ring to come and get rid of it?

We are planning to move to the sunshine coast some time this year.

Chrissie

We actually went up to Montville today, just north of Brisbane about an hours drive, we went to the Kondalilla Falls National Park, we walked throught the rainforest to a lookout, we were looking at the lovely scenery and we were about to move on when something caught my eye, i looked down and about 3 feet in front of us in the tree was this green snake with a yellow belly it was about 2 foot long just moving through the branches, and it did not seem to mind us been there, though i hear they have poor eye sight.

P.S. it was a common tree snake and harmless, though we did not know this at the time.

Mark.
Old Jan 29th 2006, 11:21 am
Just Joined

paygee is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=chrissie181]Thanks so much for your reply.
Your right I will probably never see one unless I go to the Zoo.
Chrissie

Oh i dont know , i`ve seen about 5 in the last year and i live in a suburb, although 3 of them were in 1/2 hour when i was fixing my fence and i back onto fields ,one was a brown snake and just sort of stayed there till i moved so need to watch them , of the other 2 , one was a green tree snake and fell out of the bark of a cocus palm when i was cleaning it the other i must add was a BIG carpet python and it was in the street and it climbed into the engine of a neighbours car , none of them have bothered me though they are much more scared of us . dont worry about it though you`ll adjust to the fact that they are around and you`ll be aware and take care ,.
Old Jan 29th 2006, 12:04 pm
vivi

vivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nice

[QUOTE=paygee]
Thanks so much for your reply.
Your right I will probably never see one unless I go to the Zoo.
Chrissie

Oh i dont know , i`ve seen about 5 in the last year and i live in a suburb, although 3 of them were in 1/2 hour when i was fixing my fence and i back onto fields ,one was a brown snake and just sort of stayed there till i moved so need to watch them , of the other 2 , one was a green tree snake and fell out of the bark of a cocus palm when i was cleaning it the other i must add was a BIG carpet python and it was in the street and it climbed into the engine of a neighbours car , none of them have bothered me though they are much more scared of us . dont worry about it though you`ll adjust to the fact that they are around and you`ll be aware and take care ,.
Coincidence or what! This morning whilst out in the yard painting, saw a 2 foot tree snake! Prior to coming here thought I would freak out.......wrong, Miss calm and collected just watched in wonder and had a laugh on the phone to Mum this evening! Walk round the verandah to put the phone back, just about to put my hand on the reil post.....whoooo crickey, now a small black coloured one. First thought daughter has played a trick....second thought it moves! Hubby poked it off the post, yes they can fly!!! Then Steve Irwin here sees it slithering back under the house so I grabbed it with the rake, and second flying lesson out into the bush!! No worries all the joys of living in the bush! Also today saw a 3 foot lace monitor climbing up the outside wall, and yesterday a wallaby munching grass by the washing line. Fantastic! And to think I got a kick out of seeing deer inthe garden in Somerset. Don't worry they are more scared of you!!!
ViVi
Old Jan 30th 2006, 7:36 am
Forum Regular

ianp will become famous soon enoughianp will become famous soon enough

I too have a phobia of snakes, to the point that I have nightmares about them and seeing them makes me feel physicaly sick, I also had concerns about ever seeing them and what I would do, but I don't know whether I'm just unlucky but I seem to see quite a few, my partner reckons I look out for them where ever I go and I think I probably do and I imagine all sorts of senarios then he tells me I have an over active imagination, I even dont like walking beneath trees incase a tree snake were to drop out of the tree, he said this could never happen, but one day we were parked under a beautiful Poinsietta, I happened to look up and there was a Cuckaburra above on a branch with a snake hanging from its mouth alive, this freaked me out and I no longer walk under trees, I've also seen two big ones in our street and this is never far from my mind too, but people do say its just unfortunate and they've lived here all their lives and never seen one, but I reckon if you don't look out for them you could quite easily go through life never encountering one but if like me your always thinking what if I see one you may just do that cos your more aware. The good thing is I'm still alive and have survived seeing them, I will never like them but I have become more rational with time and accept they are about, having said that I dont know whether I'd be saying that if one were to find its way in my house, but I always shut the screens with that in mind and never leave doors open. So don't let it put you off, snakes and all I still love living here.

What can I do to help prevent a snake getting onto my property is there any kind of deterrent?
Also if I am faced with one what the hell do I do. Is there a pest control or somebody I can ring to come and get rid of it?

Chrissie
Old Jan 30th 2006, 1:40 pm
Sharks out of the Pool

mick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Snake Phobia!!!!

Chrissie
From Queensland to NSW
Nothing to worry about - I've never seen one on my travels.

However if your brave enough - here are some things you can do if you come across a snake

http://www.waterfowlcanada.com/man-eating-snake.htm
Old Jan 31st 2006, 8:08 am
Forum Regular

chrissie181 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mick_newcastle
From Queensland to NSW
Nothing to worry about - I've never seen one on my travels.

However if your brave enough - here are some things you can do if you come across a snake

http://www.waterfowlcanada.com/man-eating-snake.htm

Cheers!
And No I'm not brave enough. I just know there will be a picture of a bloody big snake eating someone. :scared:

Chrissie
Old Jan 31st 2006, 8:37 am
Sharks out of the Pool

mick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers!
And No I'm not brave enough. I just know there will be a picture of a bloody big snake eating someone. :scared:

Chrissie
Aye the links a dead giveaway anyway it's in Brazil and its a picture of one of these huge Boa's that ate a young brazilian kid.
Im scared myself of snakes - my way of dealing with phobias is by finding out as much about them as possible. Scaring myself with pictures - then if I ever see one the shock won't kill me
Old Jan 31st 2006, 9:12 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by paygee
Oh i dont know , i`ve seen about 5 in the last year and i live in a suburb, although 3 of them were in 1/2 hour when i was fixing my fence and i back onto fields ,
If your house backs onto open space, fields etc., then there is a greater chance of seeing snakes. I have friends who live in places like that, and they do see them at times.

Having said that, the open space behind us was supposed to have had houses built a couple of years ago, but is still empty !!!

Maybe they can't climb the fence

Old Jan 31st 2006, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

Gill C has a brilliant futureGill C has a brilliant futureGill C has a brilliant futureGill C has a brilliant futureGill C has a brilliant futureGill C has a brilliant futureGill C has a brilliant futureGill C has a brilliant future

Chrissie
I don't like them either, on all my trips to oz i had never seen one even in the bush. I know live on acreage, and have seen a tree snake which is harmless and we know there is a carpet snake in the roof which we have never seen the plus side of this is that we don't have mice or rats around the property. I hate these just as much as snakes.
Old Jan 31st 2006, 9:22 pm
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

Its uncommon to come across a snake if you live in a city unless you live in an outer suburb near bushland perhaps. They usually only come out during the summer months. Snakes are just affraid of us as we are of them and will usually quicky slide away when they see you, they almost always only attack humans in self defence when people pick them up, step on them or try to kill them. Most people bitten by venomous snakes in OZ survive, either the bite does'nt have enough venom in it to kill or they get to hospital in time for a shot of anti-venom.

Last edited by Lord Pom Percy; Jan 31st 2006 at 9:30 pm.
Old Feb 1st 2006, 8:06 am
Forum Regular

Aye the links a dead giveaway anyway it's in Brazil and its a picture of one of these huge Boa's that ate a young brazilian kid.
Im scared myself of snakes - my way of dealing with phobias is by finding out as much about them as possible. Scaring myself with pictures - then if I ever see one the shock won't kill me

Yeah I started looking at stuff, like in the rain forrest information centre up in the Daintry. I watched a video on Ozy snake. I came out traumatized :scared:
In stead of thinking "Oh what a lovely forrest Im so at one with nature" I thought "bloody hell Im in the land that time forgot"
And set off to find the coffee shop sharpish.

Chrissie
Old Feb 1st 2006, 8:07 am
Forum Regular

Yeah I started looking at stuff, like in the rain forrest information centre up in the Daintry. I watched a video on Ozy snake. I came out traumatized :scared:
In stead of thinking "Oh what a lovely forrest Im so at one with nature" I thought "bloody hell Im in the land that time forgot"
And set off to find the coffee shop sharpish.

Chrissie

P.S!
Sorry I forgot to spell check.... I'm so lazy when I write
Old Feb 1st 2006, 8:11 am
Sharks out of the Pool

P.S!
I dont think theres much to worry about, Im considering taking my cats over and apparently theres one or 2 snakes that can make a meal of them.
Then again the cats have been brought up on Tyneside and have on occasions been known to attack rottweilers and come off best. Don't think a snake would pose much of a problem
Old Feb 1st 2006, 8:16 am
Sharks out of the Pool

P.S!
Think I'll keep a shovel handy (with a long handle obviously) at all times and when the mood takes me give it a bit of a swing in attempts to behead all snakes - that should keep the population down. Wouldn't imagine a snake could pursuit you with it's head missing. Although I wouldn't be picking the head up to inspect it as in America Rattle snakes heads can still bite.

Bring it on
Old Feb 1st 2006, 8:41 am
Forum Regular

Think I'll keep a shovel handy (with a long handle obviously) at all times and when the mood takes me give it a bit of a swing in attempts to behead all snakes - that should keep the population down. Wouldn't imagine a snake could pursuit you with it's head missing. Although I wouldn't be picking the head up to inspect it as in America Rattle snakes heads can still bite.

Bring it on

Shovel! I'm going to learn to shoot a 12 bore. I figure If I have a big gun but with a long barrel I cant miss and dont have to get too close. I wonder can you still get Elephant guns. Thats bound not to miss!
We are taking our cat too. I won't tell him about the Cat eating snake, don't want too worry him.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.