Snake ID?

Old Jan 25th 2013, 4:46 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Snake ID?

It wasn't me, but see this fella when I got out me car earlier in Byron.

Red Bellied Black?

Old Jan 25th 2013, 5:46 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it certainly is, that is how most Aussies see snakes unfortunately. Many are run over deliberately which is illegal but I doubt there has ever been a single prosecution.
Old Jan 25th 2013, 6:04 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by chris955
Yes it certainly is, that is how most Aussies see snakes unfortunately. Many are run over deliberately which is illegal but I doubt there has ever been a single prosecution.
Yeah and turtles ...

I remember a few years back down on the coast going down a dual carriageway and seeing a largish turtle crossing the road on the other side ... (looked about a third across) I took the first opportunity to do a u-turn, go back, and give it a helping hand across the road. Now when I turned, there was ONLY ONE car that had passed. NOTHING else had drove past going in the opposite direction but this car (ute).

Now when I got to the turtle (this was 500m back now) it had been splattered ... It was on the white line in the middle where your wheels wouldn't sit naturally, and It was soooo big (dinner plate size at least) I fail to see that it wasn't seen, and was done for fun I'm sure ...

I've seen similar with other creatures too ...

Oh I'm sure the same goes on in the UK before I get shot, but can't say *I* ever see anything like what I've seen here ... Roo's gone for, oh basically anything in that path is up for obliteration!

Old Jan 25th 2013, 6:24 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

It makes me so angry, it makes me laugh when I read how anti Australia I am or I hate Australia but I would never hurt native animals and never ever drop rubbish whereas other Aussies seem to do without thinking. I have friends who have no problem telling me about what they shot on their nights out spotlighting, it strains the friendship to breaking point.
Old Jan 25th 2013, 6:56 am
Account Closed

It makes me so angry, it makes me laugh when I read how anti Australia I am or I hate Australia but I would never hurt native animals and never ever drop rubbish whereas other Aussies seem to do without thinking. I have friends who have no problem telling me about what they shot on their nights out spotlighting, it strains the friendship to breaking point.
No 5 Iron (or to that effect, don't play golf) and the Cane toad! ...

Carp fish caught here (QLD) HAVE to be killed I'm led to believe. There's a creek in my street and my Pommy mate from Melbourne was staying over a few year ago and he LOVES his fishing! He was down there every morn and even attracted a few others from the street. I'll never forget his face when he caught the Carp he was after, and went to throw it back in. One of the guy's grabbed it out of his hand, and just smacked it's head against the tree ...

I dunno, I think I'm soft compared to the Aussie counterpart, but I fish and can find a bit more of a humane way to do things you know.

What I've seen Aussies do to fish when out on the water too! ...

I dunno you know, I love em for many ways, but not these I'm afraid.
Old Jan 25th 2013, 7:35 am
Banned

I am amazed and angered when I read about people killing Cane Toads by spraying them with Dettol or as you say wacking them with golf clubs, its as though because they are a pest animal it doesnt matter how you kill them. I used to regularly go on toad hunts and I would bring them home and freeze them so killing them isnt a problem.
Old Jan 25th 2013, 7:57 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

I am amazed and angered when I read about people killing Cane Toads by spraying them with Dettol or as you say wacking them with golf clubs, its as though because they are a pest animal it doesnt matter how you kill them. I used to regularly go on toad hunts and I would bring them home and freeze them so killing them isnt a problem.
Is freezing them more humane?
Old Jan 25th 2013, 8:06 am
Banned

Yes, they are poikilothermic, freezing is the 'least bad' alternative.
Old Jan 25th 2013, 8:17 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, they are poikilothermic, freezing is the 'least bad' alternative.
Okay, wasn't sure. I wouldn't want to kill anything, but if something has to be done then it should at least be humane. I don't understand people who are cruel to animals
Old Jan 25th 2013, 8:19 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Is freezing them more humane?
Yeah it's what the vet told me to do. Put them in an old Tupperware type of box and freeze. They go asleep and never wake. I can't honestly say I've done it, but I've never done the club trick either. I swerve for them on the road ...

Orrrrr!!!! ... you can always pour petrol over them, THEN hit them with rhe golf club! That way you see them in the air at night! ...
Old Jan 25th 2013, 8:31 am
Banned

I hate killing animals but have killed many 1000's of Cane Toads and it hasnt made the slightest difference to their population. It is very depressing going out at night looking for animals and seeing 100 Cane Toads for every native animal.
Old Jan 25th 2013, 8:35 am
Banned

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Okay, wasn't sure. I wouldn't want to kill anything, but if something has to be done then it should at least be humane. I don't understand people who are cruel to animals
With a cold blooded animal freezing is the most humane method, unfortunately I know people who breed rats for snake food and they use freezing to kill the rats. For warm blooded
mammals it is incredibly painful and can take hours but these people wont be told.