Snake ID?

Old Jan 19th 2013, 11:24 pm
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Snake ID?

I was just about to dip in the pool when I see this fella at the side of the pool. Looked dead and wasn't moving at all, BUT it's head was out of the water ...

Poked with a pole and off it went, but now have it in a Tupperware type box.

It's brown, but I don't think it's a 'brown' snake. Could be a 'garden' snake as have a few of them, but dunno for sure.

Am on Google now, but in case anyone knows what it is ?!? ... or what to do with it ?!?

Do I toss it over the fence to the bush it came from, or do I stick a shovel through it's head ?!? ...

Old Jan 19th 2013, 11:55 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Snake ID?

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
I was just about to dip in the pool when I see this fella at the side of the pool. Looked dead and wasn't moving at all, BUT it's head was out of the water ...

It's brown, but I don't think it's a 'brown' snake. Could be a 'garden' snake as have a few of them, but dunno for sure.

Am on Google now, but in case anyone knows what it is ?!? ... or what to do with it ?!?

Do I toss it over the fence to the bush it came from, or do I stick a shovel through it's head ?!? ...

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u...ps043114d7.jpg

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u...ps0e79b8c6.jpg
no, you let it go

to be honest paul it looks like a skink more than a snake, just digging out my brisbane wildlife book

could be one of these
http://www.wildlifeqld.com.au/Burtons.html

Last edited by steve`o; Jan 20th 2013 at 12:03 am.
Old Jan 20th 2013, 12:33 am
Account Closed

It's all good, literally just come across this...

http://www.snakecatchers.com.au/Marsh_Snake.php

Def the fella, and I hope he can take to flying lessons!

Either way it's about 20m behind my boundary now.
Old Jan 20th 2013, 1:29 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve`o
Certainly looks like one of those as it looks like it has ear openings on that second photo. The head shape is pretty unique too.
Old Jan 20th 2013, 1:39 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by sr71
Certainly looks like one of those as it looks like it has ear openings on that second photo. The head shape is pretty unique too.
Yeah head size / type made me think it wasn't a 'Brown'.

Crafty thing tho as it was just floating on the top of the pool water, doing nothing and even when close it didn't move, but a lil tap with the pool pole and off it went. I put the end of the pole under it and lifted and it just curled round.

As I say I threw it over the fence like I've done with all others. Would've got a soft landing, but might be a bit dizzy for a bit ...
Old Jan 20th 2013, 6:33 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Its a Burtons Legless Lizard, obviously being a lizard it is totally harmless and they arent seen that often really. You are lucky to have had one in the garden. Can I ask what a garden snake is ?
Old Jan 20th 2013, 6:44 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by chris955
Its a Burtons Legless Lizard, obviously being a lizard it is totally harmless and they arent seen that often really. You are lucky to have had one in the garden. Can I ask what a garden snake is ?
I still think it looks like a Marsh snake, but looks like that lizard too, I dunno.

A Garden snake is what I was told these are, I get them all the time...

Old Jan 20th 2013, 8:06 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Seriously it is a Burtons, absolutely zero doubt Having close to 40 years in the reptile game has me at a slight advantage
Can I ask who referred to those snakes as 'garden' snakes ?
Old Jan 20th 2013, 10:05 am
Account Closed

Seriously it is a Burtons, absolutely zero doubt Having close to 40 years in the reptile game has me at a slight advantage
Can I ask who referred to those snakes as 'garden' snakes ?
I bow to your better judgement then ...

Neighbour calls em garden snakes. I call em brown snakes and he laughs and gives it the ole 'you'd run if it was one of them!'

Another that frequents these parts quite a bit, and one of my fav cos of the colour ...

Old Jan 24th 2013, 11:22 am
Banned

The snake in the photo looks suspiciously like a Brown Snake to me
That last one the Red Bellied Black is very dangerous of course but way less aggressive than a Brown, they rarely bite.
Old Jan 24th 2013, 12:32 pm
Account Closed

The snake in the photo looks suspiciously like a Brown Snake to me
That last one the Red Bellied Black is very dangerous of course but way less aggressive than a Brown, they rarely bite.
Yeah was only messing ...

Altho have had a brown, but only a baby ( ... no diff in venom I'm told) once before.
Old Jan 24th 2013, 1:34 pm
Banned

Yeah was only messing ...

Altho have had a brown, but only a baby ( ... no diff in venom I'm told) once before.
I thought you might have been.

Yes a juvenile Brown will certainly kill you just as dead as an adult.
Old Jan 24th 2013, 2:51 pm
Forum Regular

fitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to all

burtons legless lizard,,,i used to get them in my garden in the vines in perth.
Attached Thumbnails Snake ID?-april2007-276.jpg   Snake ID?-april2007-271.jpg  
Old Jan 24th 2013, 8:26 pm
Account Closed

I thought you might have been.

Yes a juvenile Brown will certainly kill you just as dead as an adult.
Altho a few people said if it was a baby, mummy and daddy won't be too far away! ...

Dunn how true tho.

Originally Posted by fitz
burtons legless lizard,,,i used to get them in my garden in the vines in perth.
Yeah will always be (look like) a snake to me! ...
Old Jan 25th 2013, 1:22 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u...ps043114d7.jpg

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u...ps0e79b8c6.jpg
legless lizard

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.