Reload this Page >

Smuggle Radio Phone through customs

Smuggle Radio Phone through customs

Old Apr 21st 2003, 9:40 am
Just Joined

j_a_watson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Smuggle Radio Phone through customs

Hi,

I am trying to decide whether or not to try and take my DECT cordless phones through customs.

I know you are not supposed to.....as they will not be australian approved. However, their actual use will be undetected as the frequency and standards used by the DECT system is worldwide.

My question is....if they find the phones in my luggage how big is the fine and how serious will they take it. I don't mind if the confiscate the phones but would not like to risk being refused entry or getting a huge fine or any kind of criminal record.

Anybody know what the customs policy is on this?

Jay
Old Apr 21st 2003, 10:07 am
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Smuggle Radio Phone through customs

Originally posted by j_a_watson
Hi,

I am trying to decide whether or not to try and take my DECT cordless phones through customs.

I know you are not supposed to.....as they will not be australian approved. However, their actual use will be undetected as the frequency and standards used by the DECT system is worldwide.

My question is....if they find the phones in my luggage how big is the fine and how serious will they take it. I don't mind if the confiscate the phones but would not like to risk being refused entry or getting a huge fine or any kind of criminal record.

Anybody know what the customs policy is on this?

Jay
I see no problems with customs...declare the goods and it is up to you what you do with them. The approval is only an issue when you decide to (or not to) plug them into the oz telecoms network...

from the ACA pages...

A variety of cordless telecommunications systems (CTS)— more commonly known as cordless phones—are available worldwide. Many systems suitable for use in other countries cannot be used in Australia because they use radiofrequencies that are not available for such use in Australia, and they are not tested to Australian standards for telecommunications equipment. CTS owners should not attempt to operate their overseas equipment in Australia.

CTS base stations must be compliant with Australian technical standards and labelled with the A-Tick mark (see under Telephones, modems, answering and facsimile machines above) before they may be connected to the Australian network.

CTS handsets and base stations incorporate radio transmitters and must therefore also comply with Australian standards for radiocommunications equipment.

The ACA recommends that you do not import a cordless phone into Australia. If the equipment does not carry the A-Tick compliance mark, you cannot safely and legally connect it to an Australian telecommunications network and penalties may be imposed for illegal connection. The process of having a single cordless phone tested to prove compliance for connection in Australia is expensive and impractical.
Old Apr 21st 2003, 8:44 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Just make sure you don,t live near any quarries using your frequencies on their blasting equipment...........MM:scared: