Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Smoking in Oz - Whats it like?

Smoking in Oz - Whats it like?

Old Oct 24th 2008, 9:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

POW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nice
Default Re: Smoking in Oz - Whats it like?

Originally Posted by sr71
Surely smoking is banned in places like forests because of the risk of bushfires?
No it isnt but there is always the risk of bush fires. There is no way anyone could enforce a ban in forests, the vast majority of people who venture out into the bush respect the enviroment and take precations with fire and the likes. You always get the idiots who just throw cigarette buts out of their car windows.

Barney
Old Oct 24th 2008, 11:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
I'd say someone complaining about person alongside him/her in a car smoking was a tad over sensitive on the smoking issue! I've never noticed, if someone had their window open in a car having a smoke alongside me, well not unless they have their kids in the car with them :curse:

In South Australia it's illegal to smoke in the car if you have anyone under 18 in there with you. Not sure about the other states though.
Old Oct 25th 2008, 12:00 am
Forum Regular

dalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to all
Smile Re: Smoking in Oz - Whats it like?

Originally Posted by AndyR
I don't smoke, can't stand the stuff but each to there own and all that.

Question is whats it like with people smoking in Oz? Over here at the moment everywhere I go I seem to be holding my breath because of all the smokers. Just been out on my lunch, walk out the building to a wall of fag smoke, stop at traffic lights with my window open and have to wind it up as the person next to me is chuffing away. Walking in, around, out of the shopping centre its smoke everywhere.

I've never been to Oz so don't know what its like so any comments.

I think a couple of factors may need to be considered here. 25% of the people smoke in the UK, 23% of the people smoke in Australia roughly the same.

However the population of the UK is 60 million approx. The population of Australia is 23 million approx. So officially there would be fewer numbers of smokers in Australia. So if my calculations are correct that is 15 million in the UK compared to 530.000 in Australia.

The whole of Britain with its 60 odd million is the size of Victoria (population 5.5 million) Australia has a larger land mass than the USA. So I personally would imagine the concentration of smokers in one area would be considerably less.

dalhousie
Old Oct 25th 2008, 12:04 am
BE Enthusiast

calNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to all

After reading this post i would advise against the ninbin tour from gold coast as smoking seemed to me accepted everywere, Gary
Old Oct 25th 2008, 12:11 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by dalhousie
So I personally would imagine the concentration of smokers in one area would be considerably less.

dalhousie
I was going to say the same.

Going for a walk around our local bayside walk way, we rarely see anyone smoking. But then again, we see very few people, full stop.

27 May 2008
The Queensland government has announced it will follow the lead set by South Australia and Tasmania and introduce a new ban on smoking in cars where children are present. New South Wales and Western Australia are considering passing the new law as well and Victorian Premier John Brumby has also announced that his government will investigate the introduction of similar rules.
Queensland Premier Anna Bligh announced yesterday that her cabinet had agreed on changes to the existing anti-smoking laws after 89% of respondents to a Queensland Health discussion paper supported such a ban.

From next month onwards anyone smoking in a vehicle in Queensland where one of the passengers is under the age of 16 will be issued with a $150 on-the-spot fine if caught by police.

Old Oct 25th 2008, 1:17 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bu1lder
I smoke when i make love......or is it steam?
Some cream from the pharamcist should sort that out !
Old Oct 25th 2008, 2:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

No smoking on trains, buses or public transport.
No smoking in pubs except in outside designated area
No smoking in restaurants, cafes.
No smoking in shopping centres
No smoking in work place
Basically no smoking in public places apart from outside in the air.
Old Oct 25th 2008, 5:58 am
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of

I gave up 3 weeks ago. I believe if you want a fag then you should have a designated place to do iti.e. in bars there should be both smoking and non smoking areas.
However this morning I saw a young woman puffing frantically in her car with the window down about 2 inches- to my absolute horror I saw a baby in the back seat! that is f***ing appalling behaviour and the sooner that is made illegal the better. :curse:
Old Oct 25th 2008, 6:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

I seem to remember reading that they were thinking of banning smoking in cars if there were children on board.

I do feel for smokers though as its a real monkey on some peoples back my oh took 15years to give it up it was very very hard for him to do it but he did succeed.