Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Smoking in Oz - Whats it like?

Smoking in Oz - Whats it like?

Old Oct 24th 2008, 1:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

AndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to behold
Default Smoking in Oz - Whats it like?

I don't smoke, can't stand the stuff but each to there own and all that.

Question is whats it like with people smoking in Oz? Over here at the moment everywhere I go I seem to be holding my breath because of all the smokers. Just been out on my lunch, walk out the building to a wall of fag smoke, stop at traffic lights with my window open and have to wind it up as the person next to me is chuffing away. Walking in, around, out of the shopping centre its smoke everywhere.

I've never been to Oz so don't know what its like so any comments.
Old Oct 24th 2008, 1:14 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Smoking in Oz - Whats it like?

Same here as everywhere.
Old Oct 24th 2008, 1:17 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Sorry, OZ isn't smoke free.
Old Oct 24th 2008, 1:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

AndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to behold

Its OK, wasn't expecting it to be smoke free

I meant is there as much of it outdoors as there is in the UK. Went for a walk with the misses at the weekend to a forest/wood. Walking round the paths we were basically dodging the smokers (don't they like fresh air!) and ended up giving up and coming home. Never encountered this as bad when I've been to the US, so wondered if it was like this in Oz?
Old Oct 24th 2008, 1:21 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by AndyR
Its OK, wasn't expecting it to be smoke free

I meant is there as much of it outdoors as there is in the UK. Went for a walk with the misses at the weekend to a forest/wood. Walking round the paths we were basically dodging the smokers (don't they like fresh air!) and ended up giving up and coming home. Never encountered this as bad when I've been to the US, so wondered if it was like this in Oz?
Well the pubs here are empty because everyone is outside smoking lol.

Even the kids. Same as UK. But with sunshine.
Old Oct 24th 2008, 1:37 pm
Account Closed

Funky Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Smoking is banned on some of the beaches here in Perth which would please you if you are coming here. I personally think that is going too far as outside on a beach e.t.c it is a different matter IMO and I do not want to start a debate. I am an ex smoker but not one of the anti smokers that most ex smokers seem to be.
Old Oct 24th 2008, 1:44 pm
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

The hotel here has a designated area for smokers and so did the pub I went to in Byron Bay NSW...

Its not horrendous... I was in Germany for a while.. now THERE they have plenty of smokers!

I think it is similar to England for smokers in MHO

Em x
Old Oct 24th 2008, 1:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

OK thx everyone. Don't want it to get bitter so thats cool. If it was worse it would worry me but as its the same, I can live with it
Old Oct 24th 2008, 2:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Surely smoking is banned in places like forests because of the risk of bushfires?
Old Oct 24th 2008, 3:56 pm
Account Closed

Hi there the poster was referring to the u.k
Old Oct 24th 2008, 3:57 pm
Account Closed

Hi there the poster was referring to the u.k regarding the forest
Old Oct 24th 2008, 4:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Funky Monkey
Hi there the poster was referring to the u.k regarding the forest
Yep I was but as its the UK it was pee'ing it down at the time so you could have been smoking a flamethrower and it wouldn't have made a jot of difference
Old Oct 24th 2008, 8:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Question is whats it like with people smoking in Oz? Over here at the moment everywhere I go I seem to be holding my breath because of all the smokers. Just been out on my lunch, walk out the building to a wall of fag smoke, stop at traffic lights with my window open and have to wind it up as the person next to me is chuffing away. Walking in, around, out of the shopping centre its smoke everywhere.

Chuffing away lol. Must mean something different where you live, if they did it round here they'd be arrested for indecent exposure and for performing sexual acts in public.
Can't smoke in enclosed shopping places in UK nor Aus so not sure where that comment came from!
Yes people smoke in Aus, get over it , bit cheaper there as well
Old Oct 24th 2008, 8:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Funky Monkey
Smoking is banned on some of the beaches here in Perth which would please you if you are coming here. I personally think that is going too far as outside on a beach e.t.c it is a different matter IMO and I do not want to start a debate. I am an ex smoker but not one of the anti smokers that most ex smokers seem to be.
I'd say someone complaining about person alongside him/her in a car smoking was a tad over sensitive on the smoking issue! I've never noticed, if someone had their window open in a car having a smoke alongside me, well not unless they have their kids in the car with them :curse:
Old Oct 24th 2008, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

bu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of light

I smoke when i make love......or is it steam?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.