Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The smoking ban - My take

The smoking ban - My take

Old Nov 16th 2004, 11:58 am
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The smoking ban - My take

In my opinion smokers as a rule don't really give a shiny shite on how their habit affects others...

The amount of times that I've had a meal ruined in a restaurant or pub by someone on the next table hitching up when they've finished or even worse between courses has really turned be into a Pro-ban lobbyist.

Smokers now know the damage it's causing them and the surrounding *innocents*.

I had to *laugh* at the viewpoint expressed by some that banning smoking from pubs etc would force the smoker to light up more in their own homes hence inflicting more damage to their children's health.

We're talking here about the same people that drive around in their cars, fag between the fingers on a 45 degree angle, hands locked to the wheel...window down an inch thinking the kids in the back aren't sucking anything in...jesus wept that annoys me.

I work in a factory environment where smoking is still tolerated. My missus absolutely detests the smell on my clothes the minute I walk through the door at night...the kids aren't too thrilled either...nor I.

On a Sunday morning after being out with the lads the night before, my throat and lungs feel like I've done 60 Benson's...

The Ban...Can't wait...Long overdue.

Be prepared for the Bank huddles on the street to increase in numbers as the smoking employee's waste 2 hours of their company's time littering the streets with dimps...

Cynical view...?

Don't think so.

FACT.

Three Legs

Old Nov 16th 2004, 12:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The smoking ban - My take

Originally Posted by Three Legs
In my opinion smokers as a rule don't really give a shiny shite on how their habit affects others...

The amount of times that I've had a meal ruined in a restaurant or pub by someone on the next table hitching up when they've finished or even worse between courses has really turned be into a Pro-ban lobbyist.

Smokers now know the damage it's causing them and the surrounding *innocents*.

I had to *laugh* at the viewpoint expressed by some that banning smoking from pubs etc would force the smoker to light up more in their own homes hence inflicting more damage to their children's health.

We're talking here about the same people that drive around in their cars, fag between the fingers on a 45 degree angle, hands locked to the wheel...window down an inch thinking the kids in the back aren't sucking anything in...jesus wept that annoys me.

I work in a factory environment where smoking is still tolerated. My missus absolutely detests the smell on my clothes the minute I walk through the door at night...the kids aren't too thrilled either...nor I.

On a Sunday morning after being out with the lads the night before, my throat and lungs feel like I've done 60 Benson's...

The Ban...Can't wait...Long overdue.

Be prepared for the Bank huddles on the street to increase in numbers as the smoking employee's waste 2 hours of their company's time littering the streets with dimps...

Cynical view...?

Don't think so.

FACT.

Three Legs

So you'll be giving up your car then, to protect all the school kids from all the carbon monoxide your exhaust spews out?

Or is that different poison?

Don't think so,

Cheers,
JTL
Old Nov 16th 2004, 1:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Cynical view...?

Don't think so.

FACT.

Three Legs

Okay hows this. This is what your car is spewing out:

Exhaust chemicals offer a number of pathogenic possibilities.

Carbon Monoxide
Nitrogen dioxide
Sulphur dioxide
Suspended particles including PM-10, particles less than 10 microns in size.
Benzene
Formaldehyde
Polycyclic hydrocarbons

But of course thats not important, because we all drive cars. It doesn't matter that they kill us in so many different ways. What if I choose not to drive, do I get to give abuse to car drivers? Do I get to preach on websites about how your car driving is killing x thousands of people a year?

Anyway, here's the full report on the web.

Cars are worse than ciggies

So get off your high horse, and try walking

Cheers,
JTL
Old Nov 16th 2004, 1:24 pm
Account Closed

Could you please point me to the line in my post where I state I drive or even own a vehicle...

Case rested m'lud...

Have a word with yourself.

I presume you smoke and own a vehicle too...

You'll be putting your name forward as chair person for the next Kyoto conference then

I didn't bring vehicle owners or gas emissions into the post...The post was entitled "The smoking ban - My take".

Don't take this the wrong way but you sound like another disillusional / paranoid smoker.

No offence intended...honestly.

Three Legs

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Okay hows this. This is what your car is spewing out:

Exhaust chemicals offer a number of pathogenic possibilities.

Carbon Monoxide
Nitrogen dioxide
Sulphur dioxide
Suspended particles including PM-10, particles less than 10 microns in size.
Benzene
Formaldehyde
Polycyclic hydrocarbons

But of course thats not important, because we all drive cars. It doesn't matter that they kill us in so many different ways. What if I choose not to drive, do I get to give abuse to car drivers? Do I get to preach on websites about how your car driving is killing x thousands of people a year?

Anyway, here's the full report on the web.

Cars are worse than ciggies

So get off your high horse, and try walking

Cheers,
JTL
Old Nov 16th 2004, 1:28 pm
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

Could you please point me to the line in my post where I state I drive or even own a vehicle...

Case rested m'lud...

You'll be putting your name forward as chair person for the next Kyoto conference then

I didn't bring vehicle owners or gas emissions into the post...The post was entitled "The smoking ban - My take".

Don't take this the wrong way but you sound like another disillusional / paranoid smoker.

Three Legs

(apologies for editing-out your smilies)

And the man (or woman) who has to post a seperate thread all of their own to get his (or her!) point across sounds like an owner of an unusually tall horse.

No offence intended.
Old Nov 16th 2004, 1:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Hmmm..

i am a smoker..i NEVER have kids in MY car, never smoke anywhere that i am not legally allowed or invited to do so, and wouldnt ever contemplate smoking in someones home..... BUT..and this is a big but..

i would love it if the government would ban smoking full stop!!..that way i would have no choice but to stop doing it.Sadly, i am a mere mortal hooked on the evil stuff, and and its one of my biggest failings.. banning it will never happen though as they make too much money from it. This must be the case as i cannot see any other reason for them to keep it legal...can you?
Old Nov 16th 2004, 1:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Case rested m'lud...

Three Legs

Yes I do occasionally smoke, not in restaurants
, bars, or in fact indoors. I don't even smoke in my house.

I like the bit you say:

I didn't bring vehicle owners or gas emissions into the post
So banning smoking is a completely standalone argument. So by all means kill us with car emissions, power station emissions, etc, but at least we won't have to deal with smokers.

If you want my take on it. Smoking should be banned from restaurants
completely. I hate it when people light up just as we are about to start a meal. There should be smoking and non smoking areas in pubs, those who don't like smokers can go to the non smoking area. (this won't work of course, because the people who smoke go to the smoking area, then their friends follow, and before you know it the non-smoking area is empty, I speak from experience).

But, fine have your anti smoking rant. I was just pointing out, you are not holier than thou, you are spewing out more toxic chemicals in a day from your car than a smoker produces in a month, but obviously the governemt will never take on the car industry

G'night,
JTL
Old Nov 16th 2004, 1:56 pm
heehaugh

Granger will become famous soon enoughGranger will become famous soon enough

You could go on and on about lots more toxins and gases in the air, for example; only this year they are starting to limit levels of gases that companies can expel into the air. But that is not the point, the point is that smoking is a filthy habit and best for the individual and everyone around them if they could try an stop.
Old Nov 16th 2004, 1:57 pm
Gee of the Bee Member

Beegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really nice

but you sound like another disillusional / paranoid smoker.
Whoa did I miss a meeting...I didn't know that smoking made you disillusional / paranoid......or have I been deluding myself all this time ......Hmmm......oh bugga now you have made me paranoid.....right I 'm off outside for a fag
Old Nov 16th 2004, 1:59 pm
Account Closed

Smokers don't like to hear what non-smokers think...as a rule

I feel sorry for you Podgy Possum...my mother has tried to quit unsuccessfully for over 30 years...We both know it'll never happen. It's all about will power. PS - I'm sure many mothers wouldn't dream of smoking in their car whilst the kids are on board...many do tho', I've seen it daily, that and mobile phones.....Ooooooogh don't get me going !

JTL, if you feel strongly enough about car exhaust gases then bang up a thread. I only raised the smoking ban thread as it's topical here in the UK at the moment...maybe you weren't aware of that, I don't know.

My points made...

Three Legs

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Yes I do occasionally smoke, not in restaurants
, bars, or in fact indoors. I don't even smoke in my house.

I like the bit you say:

So banning smoking is a completely standalone argument. So by all means kill us with car emissions, power station emissions, etc, but at least we won't have to deal with smokers.

If you want my take on it. Smoking should be banned from restaurants
completely. I hate it when people light up just as we are about to start a meal. There should be smoking and non smoking areas in pubs, those who don't like smokers can go to the non smoking area. (this won't work of course, because the people who smoke go to the smoking area, then their friends follow, and before you know it the non-smoking area is empty, I speak from experience).

But, fine have your anti smoking rant. I was just pointing out, you are not holier than thou, you are spewing out more toxic chemicals in a day from your car than a smoker produces in a month, but obviously the governemt will never take on the car industry

G'night,
JTL
Old Nov 16th 2004, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

but why wont they ban SELLING it?
Old Nov 16th 2004, 2:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JTL, if you feel strongly enough about car exhaust gases then bang up a thread. I only raised the smoking ban thread as it's topical here in the UK at the moment...maybe you weren't aware of that, I don't know.

My points made...

Three Legs

Try the lounge then. This is the Oz/NZ forum,

Cheers,
JTL
Old Nov 16th 2004, 2:04 pm
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Granger
You could go on and on about lots more toxins and gases in the air, for example; only this year they are starting to limit levels of gases that companies can expel into the air. But that is not the point, the point is that smoking is a filthy habit and best for the individual and everyone around them if they could try an stop.
As long as the smoker is responsible and does not cause undue discomfort to others then it's up to the individual what they do. It's a personal choice.

The smoker has the choice of going outside or to a "smoker's area" to smoke, the car driver pollutes without discrimination.
Old Nov 16th 2004, 2:06 pm
Account Closed

The Moolah !!!

It's all coin for the Treasury.

I'm sure they've got their whizz kid experts balancing the Taxes income / Health Service smoking related expense.

Prohibition didn't work with the grog, it sure as hell won't work with the demon weed.

Never mind, eh.

Three Legs

Originally Posted by podgypossum
but why wont they ban SELLING it?
Old Nov 16th 2004, 2:14 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I rarely get involved in the anti-smoking debates, and I am a great believer in people having the freedom to choose.
But I have two good friends who lost their parents to lung cancer as a direct result of smoking for many years. Both parents were in their early 40s, died with 3 years of each other, leaving my friends aged 25 and 15. The older friend, when we go out now, insists we go to non-smoking places, as the smoke brings back to many painful memories.

If you can't give up for yourself, think what it would be like for your family watching you suffer.

(lecture over, just a point I wanted to make)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.