Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Smokers in Australia!

Smokers in Australia!

Old Jul 19th 2006, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

noonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to all
Default Smokers in Australia!

An odd subject perhaps, but I thought I'd get other people's opinions on this!

Being a smoker, whenever I have been in Australia I have found the attitude towards it rather different than in the UK. I don't mean the fact that you can't smoke in any restaurants or in a lot of pubs - actually I think that's probably a good thing - but the social stigma attached to being a smoker seems to be much worse than in the UK.

I found that sometimes when you're chatting away to someone and getting on like old friends, then the subject comes up, it's almost like admitting "yeah, I've been in prison..." ! An exaggeration perhaps, but the atmosphere certainly tends to get colder! Certainly a lot of my fiance's family just cannot get their heads around the fact that I smoke, and some seem to find it really hard to accept.

In the UK you just don't get that, or if you do it's nothing like as bad. Everybody knows that smoking is not the best idea you could have, but so long as you're not bothering others the attitude tends to be much more relaxed - "It's your choice".

Part of me sees it as the perfect excuse to give up, but being the bolshy git that I am another part of me thinks of it as a chance to protest for my right to choose!

Either way, I was just wondering if anyone else had noticed a difference in attitude or if it's just me!
Old Jul 19th 2006, 9:31 am
ljj
BE Enthusiast

ljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Smokers in Australia!

Originally Posted by noonard
Part of me sees it as the perfect excuse to give up, but being the bolshy git that I am another part of me thinks of it as a chance to protest for my right to choose!

Either way, I was just wondering if anyone else had noticed a difference in attitude or if it's just me!
Give up the awful weed now - disgusting habit

Not noticed a difference but .... Nobody actually seems to smoke here! That is until at a party someone gets a pack out and all these 'secret social smokers' follow them outside. I know this because after giving up smoking 7 years ago I still manage to find a smoker at any party after a few drinks ...I'm normally joinned by a few other non-smoking friends!

Seriously though, think of all that money and extra time you will get in Oz by giving up!

Good Luck - your choice, what you do just try not to inflict it on others.

LJJ
Old Jul 19th 2006, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

Lee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud of
Cool Re: Smokers in Australia!

Hi there,
I stopped smoking in Jan this year and while I was a smoker I thought along the lines of you, where if I want to smoke its ok as I'm only killing myself. But on the other hand once you stop you realize that a smoker is very selfish because everyone around you is breathing in your smoke! if you walk past someone in the street you smell it, if your in a pub you smell it, and the worst thing is when they go out the room for a cig and come back in, they absolutely STINK. So if the attitude against smokers is bad in Auz that’s a good thing as it might stop people starting in the first place.
Lee
Old Jul 19th 2006, 9:39 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Smokers have had that stigma attached downhere for over 20 years.
Old Jul 19th 2006, 9:45 am
BE Forum Addict

TeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud of

I never really noticed it much when I was there but then I don't smoke.

If people want to smoke then thats up to them but I do find some a bit selfish and if it affects me then I get a bit bothered by it. Perhaps we need that stigma a bit more over here to get people to give up.
Old Jul 19th 2006, 9:46 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

You have the right to kill yourself any way you please As long as its in your own home, I dont have to breath it in, smell of it or have to stand in piles of cigarette butts.

I think the smoking stigma is a good thing. It might of discouraged me from starting years ago. Having given up for many years now I only regret having ever picked up a cigarette.

Its a mugs game and every smoker knows it. Maybe its part of the Australian brash culture of simply saying the obvious rather than being "nice" or polite about something which is pretty stupid.

Recent legislation being introduced worldwide is stopping smoking in public places, Queensland most recently. The writings on the wall.
Old Jul 19th 2006, 10:26 am
BE Enthusiast

jon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Centurion
You have the right to kill yourself any way you please As long as its in your own home, I dont have to breath it in, smell of it or have to stand in piles of cigarette butts.

I think the smoking stigma is a good thing. It might of discouraged me from starting years ago. Having given up for many years now I only regret having ever picked up a cigarette.

Its a mugs game and every smoker knows it. Maybe its part of the Australian brash culture of simply saying the obvious rather than being "nice" or polite about something which is pretty stupid.

Recent legislation being introduced worldwide is stopping smoking in public places, Queensland most recently. The writings on the wall.
Damn right! My biggest hates are smoking in restaurants and, even worse, beaches covered in cigarette butts. I have been on so many beautiful beaches that have been ruined by smokers ditching their fag ends on the sand. It really annoys me.
I really love the fact that in Queensland you can actually go to a pub and not be forced to breathe in second hand smoke. Its great.
Old Jul 19th 2006, 10:32 am
BE Enthusiast

maggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond repute

Im a smoker have tried to give up a few times but if im honest I really enjoy a ciggie therefor will continue to smoke until I am ready to give up.

Not when someone tells me I should.

What I really do object to is when I am in a smoking part of a pub and a non smoker is standing next to me and gives me that repulsive look.

FFS go stand in the no smoking area and leave me alone.

The majority of pubs are no smoking and we have a tiny area and yet the buggers still want to stand there and have the nerve to whinge.

BOG OFF PLEASE AND GIVE ME A BREAK.

Go join Greenpeace.

Mags

A Happy Smoker
Old Jul 19th 2006, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

noonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to all

Oooookay...

I guess it all depends which side of the fence (or air-tight glass smoking cubicle) you're on!

It's an interesting thing. Ex-smokers are always the most evangelical and vocal against smoking, so to be fair some of the responses don't surprise me. A lot of smokers are just as bad in the other direction. Non-smokers tend to go either way in my experience, either not bothered or extremely anti.

But to be honest that's not what I was talking about - I was interested in the difference between the views on smoking in the UK and Australia, but I guess I uncovered a touchy subject!

For the record, I agree wholeheartedly on the litter issue - it's disgusting. No more disgusting than any other type of litter mind you, but disgusting none the less.

Anyway - never mind - probably a bad idea for a thread.
Old Jul 19th 2006, 10:40 am
BE Enthusiast

maggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond repute

Oooookay...

I guess it all depends which side of the fence (or air-tight glass smoking cubicle) you're on!

It's an interesting thing. Ex-smokers are always the most evangelical and vocal against smoking, so to be fair some of the responses don't surprise me. A lot of smokers are just as bad in the other direction. Non-smokers tend to go either way in my experience, either not bothered or extremely anti.

But to be honest that's not what I was talking about - I was interested in the difference between the views on smoking in the UK and Australia, but I guess I uncovered a touchy subject!

For the record, I agree wholeheartedly on the litter issue - it's disgusting. No more disgusting than any other type of litter mind you, but disgusting none the less.

Anyway - never mind - probably a bad idea for a thread.
Its actually a good idea for a thread lets people air their opinions good and bad.

We are all entiltled to an opinion and it is a good subject.

Mags
Old Jul 19th 2006, 11:04 am
Banned

sassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to behold

An odd subject perhaps, but I thought I'd get other people's opinions on this!

Being a smoker, whenever I have been in Australia I have found the attitude towards it rather different than in the UK. I don't mean the fact that you can't smoke in any restaurants or in a lot of pubs - actually I think that's probably a good thing - but the social stigma attached to being a smoker seems to be much worse than in the UK.

I found that sometimes when you're chatting away to someone and getting on like old friends, then the subject comes up, it's almost like admitting "yeah, I've been in prison..." ! An exaggeration perhaps, but the atmosphere certainly tends to get colder! Certainly a lot of my fiance's family just cannot get their heads around the fact that I smoke, and some seem to find it really hard to accept.

In the UK you just don't get that, or if you do it's nothing like as bad. Everybody knows that smoking is not the best idea you could have, but so long as you're not bothering others the attitude tends to be much more relaxed - "It's your choice".

What it really is they cant understand you smoking those poxy whimpy smokes when you can smoke the dope they got growing out the back . ,to all those that are sanctimonious and worry about what they breath should all help the planet and all our breathing by ceasing to drive their cars .
There are advantages to smoking , 1) you dont live to long so you wont end up with relatives putting you in nursing home and some grotty little sheila wipeing your arse once a week ,2)the government loves you because you pay a lot more tax, 3)smokers get more time off work out side having a gossip and its so much more pleasurable because the non smokers hate you for it ,and you just know in your own mind they want to start smoking so they can find out whos doing who in the office ,4)smokers seem more socialble a bit like dog owners .

Last edited by sassenach; Jul 19th 2006 at 11:17 am.
Old Jul 19th 2006, 11:04 am
BE Enthusiast

stacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by maggy
Its actually a good idea for a thread lets people air their opinions good and bad.

We are all entiltled to an opinion and it is a good subject.

Mags
It makes me mad when i see people smoking in cars when there are young children sat in the back inhaling all there smoke. At our last school a news letter had to go around asking parents not to smoke on the playground as children were playing with the but ends.

Many of my friends are smokers as i once was, i just wish some smokers would be abit more considerate.

Stacey xx
Old Jul 19th 2006, 11:07 am
Account Closed

Deer Hunter is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by maggy
Im a smoker have tried to give up a few times but if im honest I really enjoy a ciggie therefor will continue to smoke until I am ready to give up.

Not when someone tells me I should.

What I really do object to is when I am in a smoking part of a pub and a non smoker is standing next to me and gives me that repulsive look.

FFS go stand in the no smoking area and leave me alone.

The majority of pubs are no smoking and we have a tiny area and yet the buggers still want to stand there and have the nerve to whinge.

BOG OFF PLEASE AND GIVE ME A BREAK.

Go join Greenpeace.

Mags

A Happy Smoker
You go girl! As a patron of a pub you know whether or not it's an establishment that allows smoking, it will say so on the door. Therefore you should accept that people are going to be smoking if it's a smoking venue! Keep your dirty/judgemental looks to yourself! There are plenty of other places you can go.

That being said I haven't noticed any difference in the way people react to my smoking here.
Old Jul 19th 2006, 11:24 am
BE Enthusiast

jon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of light

From my experience there are fewer smokers in Oz so perhaps this makes smokers stand out that much more. This probably causes the smoker to notice their "status" as a smoker more and they are therefore more sensitive to people's condemnation and also the non-smokers have a more obvious and isolated "polluter" to be judgemental about.
In the UK there are so many smokers and I think the strength in numbers idea helps the smokers ignore the non-smokers' distaste and the numbers of smokers makes it harder to apportion blame to the smokers.
Just a guess.
Old Jul 19th 2006, 11:26 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jon and alex
From my experience there are fewer smokers in Oz so perhaps this makes smokers stand out that much more. This probably causes the smoker to notice their "status" as a smoker more and they are therefore more sensitive to people's condemnation and also the non-smokers have a more obvious and isolated "polluter" to be judgemental about.
In the UK there are so many smokers and I think the strength in numbers idea helps the smokers ignore the non-smokers' distaste and the numbers of smokers makes it harder to apportion blame to the smokers.
Just a guess.
Yeah - it's probably exactly that. Still, if it stops kids starting I'm not one to complain.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.