Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

smilies causing problems with hotmail?

smilies causing problems with hotmail?

Old Nov 4th 2004, 10:51 am
Forum Regular

igual will become famous soon enoughigual will become famous soon enough
Default smilies causing problems with hotmail?

Hi all,
a couple of days ago i downloaded some smilies from msn, with this i got a load of junk search engines also downloaded. I got rid of these as they were really annoying, but since then have been unable to access hotmail, all I get is a blank screen . I did a search on google, and it appears that this has happened to other people, the same problem! Unfortunately I can not find a solution.I can log on via any other computer, but not mine
I know this has nothing to do with emmigrating to Australia, but I would really , really, appreciate any advice or suggestions
Thanks for any help

Old Nov 4th 2004, 11:26 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: smilies causing problems with hotmail?

Originally Posted by igual
Hi all,
a couple of days ago i downloaded some smilies from msn, with this i got a load of junk search engines also downloaded. I got rid of these as they were really annoying, but since then have been unable to access hotmail, all I get is a blank screen . I did a search on google, and it appears that this has happened to other people, the same problem! Unfortunately I can not find a solution.I can log on via any other computer, but not mine
I know this has nothing to do with emmigrating to Australia, but I would really , really, appreciate any advice or suggestions
Thanks for any help

delete msn from ur machine and then download it again, tis the only way to fix it...this happened to me too, or try doing an update if you dont want to do that.
Old Nov 4th 2004, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by biggy
delete msn from ur machine and then download it again, tis the only way to fix it...this happened to me too, or try doing an update if you dont want to do that.
Thanks for that biggy, will try that! Is it only msn that I have to delete?
Old Nov 4th 2004, 1:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nibbs is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by igual
Thanks for that biggy, will try that! Is it only msn that I have to delete?

Had the same problem myself shortly after downloading some service packs (not SP2 BTW!)

This is an XP problem (possibly with .NET accounts) not with hotmail. All goes back to Bill anyways .

Some people have downloaded Windows script 5.6 and it appears to have solved the issue. Others have found installing all critical updates fixes it.

Personally I had to reinstall IE6. Not simple as you cannot uninstall it in the first place. You need to update the registry to set IsInstalled to 0 under HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{89820200-ECBD-11cf-8B85-00AA005B4383. Check MS knowledge Base 318378. Obviously backup your registry first. Once that is done download ie6setup.exe from MS and it should install OK. BTW you'll need to re-install IE6 patches after this.

Best of luck
Old Nov 6th 2004, 12:51 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Nibbs!
seems to be working on its own again now, but if it goes back to the same problem, I will try that.
Thanks alot for your help!