Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Smelly clothes queensland

Smelly clothes queensland

Old Feb 2nd 2008, 11:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

tillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to behold
Default Smelly clothes queensland

I am sure I have read something ages ago about this and seem to remember its to do with the humidity but our clothes are starting to smell really really musty. We bought a new washer over here use powder and conditioner but as the weeks go on the clothes smell more and more. Anyone got any solutions will a dryer help most of the clothes are put outside to dry at the moment. Ta
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 12:01 am
Wishing on a star...

cherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Smelly clothes queensland

Originally Posted by tillysmum
I am sure I have read something ages ago about this and seem to remember its to do with the humidity but our clothes are starting to smell really really musty. We bought a new washer over here use powder and conditioner but as the weeks go on the clothes smell more and more. Anyone got any solutions will a dryer help most of the clothes are put outside to dry at the moment. Ta
I live in WA but we have that problem in winter. I dry indoors on an airer then. Im glad im not the only one who experiences it. I hate the musty smell! Dont know what causes it, and we dont have a tumble dryer to know if it helps, so am interested to see what replies you get!
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 12:26 am
Just Joined

finona is an unknown quantity at this point

We have the same problem. Have to rewash clothes!! Our bedcovers are a bit stinky too and think it may be the duvet (I hope). Hope there is a solution as I don't think I'm doing much for the water restrictions by washing all our clothes etc again.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 12:29 am
Wishing on a star...

cherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud of

I miss the airing cupboards!
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 12:54 am
Just enjoying being here

rebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cherry6
I miss the airing cupboards!
I do too!

I've noticed recently a musty smell in our WIR - I partly got rid of it by removing OH's raincoat which got really wet while he was experimenting with pipes for our raintank - but I had problems while my mum was visiting getting her to wait until clothes were 100 percent dry before bringing them in and then not ironing them so much that they got damp again!! I saw some kind of damp remover thing in Bunnings yesterday so might investigate further.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 12:57 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

We don't have a problem so long as the clothes are taken out of the washer as soon as it finishes and hung up. We hang ours in the laundry, which always has all windows and door open (with locked fly screens natch ). The clothes smell if you leave them in the washer for any length of time after the cycle finishes.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 1:05 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wmoore
We don't have a problem so long as the clothes are taken out of the washer as soon as it finishes and hung up. We hang ours in the laundry, which always has all windows and door open (with locked fly screens natch ). The clothes smell if you leave them in the washer for any length of time after the cycle finishes.
I agree with that, also if you just leave them in the basket for a while before pegging out.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 1:38 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

It's incredibly humid where I am and people complain of the same problem. I've read recommendations NOT to use fabric softener - don't know if it works as I never used it anyway.

Locals recommend airing everything (clothes, rugs, mattresses, whatever) in the blazing sun, sort of sterilises them, but IME it also fades them.

I have a problem with the cothes in my wardrobes, so use a lot of Thirsty Hippos (can you get them in Oz?) and leave the doors open a lot.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 1:45 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe you should all start a nudist commune,prob solved
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 1:50 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, something like 'Damp Rid' or 'Closet Camel' in the wardrobe will absorb any excess moisture and fix up damp smells. You can get them in the supermarket.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 1:55 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Bernie, I'd be only too happy to - if I'm home I'm rarely seen in more than a sarong - but I'm not sure the world's ready for me in all my nekkid glory.

Thanks, Nicky. "Closet Camel"
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 1:57 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seasider
Bernie, I'd be only too happy to - if I'm home I'm rarely seen in more than a sarong - but I'm not sure the world's ready for me in all my nekkid glory.

Thanks, Nicky. "Closet Camel"
Can you get those moisture thingies for down the underpants,perhaps 'closet snake'
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 2:05 am
why
BE Forum Addict

why has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond repute

it's important to hang your clothes out soon after they have finished washing.i hang mine outside in the shade. it's only a problem in the winter for me so i pop them in dryer to finish them off or air by the fire. i think it's the humidity..but i remember clothes being smellier and much harder to dry in the UK. ie hard with frost on the line. hanging outside for a week...airing cupboards are handy...i suppose it was never seen as an important bit of the house here.as clothes dry so quickly outside...
good luck with your washing
oh a little sachet of bicarbonate of soda does the same trick to absorb moisture/smells in the wardrobe, cupboards and also in the fridge for smells
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 2:08 am
Auntie Fa

Yep, the humidity here means it can take 3 days to dry something, by which time it smells. I hate to use the dryer so much for the sake of my clothes and the environment, but most things get bunged in it.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 5:32 am
BE Enthusiast

tillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the replies , washing is rarely left in washer usually put out as soon as done and then brought in as soon as is bone dry. Will have a look along the soap powder section in supermarket see if there is anything there have noticed lots of large bottles of vanish type liquids perhaps that might help once in a while. Also we usually wash on very low temp so will try hotter cycle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.