Smacking kids

Old Jun 24th 2003, 10:12 am
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light
Default Smacking kids

Hi

In the UK news today there is a story about the government trying to ban parents from smacking their kids. Is there a law like this in Oz?

Mel
Old Jun 24th 2003, 10:24 am
The Tooth Fairy

Just a quick google search revealed:

Topsy-turvy debate on NSW corporal punishment Bill

Punishment that fits the Bill

Note: to make google searches specific to Aus web sites include the term "site:.au" along with other search terms.

Old Jun 24th 2003, 12:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

booboo1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I know a few parents that need a good smacking and a little bit of discipline.....

BooBoo
Old Jun 24th 2003, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

karlos is an unknown quantity at this point

More of the UK goverment going PC mad!!!!

Karl.
Old Jun 24th 2003, 9:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimEh? is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Smacking kids

Originally posted by mika24me
Hi

In the UK news today there is a story about the government trying to ban parents from smacking their kids. Is there a law like this in Oz?

Mel
Same push on in Canada. I think parent's should decide, but, having said that, there is way too much borderline abuse from parents who do hit their kids.

Often in homes where they don't smack at all there is a lot more yelling and screaming and put-downs. Smacking should be the very last resort and it should be age appropriate. You should not hit older kids as it is very counter-productive.

That's just my opinion.
Old Jun 24th 2003, 10:05 pm
over the cuckoo's nest

Slater will become famous soon enoughSlater will become famous soon enough

Hi

Mel

Nature has given us pain receptors, if you put your hand on a fire you know not to do it again. I haven't had to smack my children, but maybe that is because I treat them as equals, hopefully as they get older they will treat me the same.

Slater
Old Jun 24th 2003, 10:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

As a child protection social worker, I believe the debate needs to happen, it is against the laws in this country for one adult to hit another, so why should some of the most vulnerable members of our society not have the same basic human right?

Although there are many arguments and believe me this was discussed this morning in my office but basic human rights should be the same for everyone.

Donna
Old Jun 24th 2003, 10:14 pm
over the cuckoo's nest

Slater will become famous soon enoughSlater will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by karawara88
As a child protection social worker, I believe the debate needs to happen, it is against the laws in this country for one adult to hit another, so why should some of the most vulnerable members of our society not have the same basic human right?

Although there are many arguments and believe me this was discussed this morning in my office but basic human rights should be the same for everyone.

Donna
Society needs to learn a harch lesson, you can't blame the kid's, perhaps we should smack the parents!

Slater
Old Jun 24th 2003, 10:20 pm
Just Joined

Wilfsbane is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by karawara88

Donna
Too glib by far: "...basic human rights should be the same for everyone." We are talking about children for heaven's sake. Children and the parent's right to smack (smack, not beat) the child if it is warranted. Tim has the right idea (well almost). Parents should have the right to discipline as they see fit. There are already laws against abuse. You are muddying the waters by not discerning between discipline and abuse.
Old Jun 24th 2003, 10:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Wilfbain
Too glib by far: "...basic human rights should be the same for everyone." We are talking about children for heaven's sake. Children and the parent's right to smack (smack, not beat) the child if it is warranted. Tim has the right idea (well almost). Parents should have the right to discipline as they see fit. There are already laws against abuse. You are muddying the waters by not discerning between discipline and abuse.

On the contrary my friend you are missing the point by assuming that discipline equals physical chastisement.

Donna

Last edited by karawara88; Jun 24th 2003 at 10:34 pm.
Old Jun 24th 2003, 10:29 pm
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all

Hi

Mel
I was always smacked as a child and I can honestly say that it never done me any harm.

P.S...If anyone disagrees with this please forward your personal details and I will come round and punch your f***ing lights out you arrogant f***ing little s**t.
Old Jun 24th 2003, 10:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Wilfbain
Tim has the right idea (well almost). Parents should have the right to discipline as they see fit. There are already laws against abuse. You are muddying the waters by not discerning between discipline and abuse.
Thank you Wilf… I think (must tread softly). A compliment from you is a compliment indeed.

I believe parents should be more educated in the alternatives to snacking and should also use more wisdom as to when it is no longer appropriate. I still think it should not be legislated though; there are too many controls on us already.
Old Jun 24th 2003, 10:55 pm
Forum Regular

Stevandiane is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Devils Advocate?

When I was a kid and I done something really bad eg sticking a large pin in another kid, (I know I’m a psycho, fortunately I grew out of it) I was put over my dads knee and spanked. In my opinion it was deserved. Guess what, I never did it again! Somehow at such a young age I don’t think a few stern words and a reasoned discussion would have been quite so effective.

When I was at school they still had the cane, you did something wrong, you got the cane. I still remember how much it stung, but it didn’t have any lasting affects.
What else are teachers supposed to do, oh yer detention, expulsion. That’s a big deterrent to a teenager isn’t it (not).

Another point “basic human rights should be the same for everyone�.

Fair enough, but how is any child supposed to be punished for their actions?
Send them to their room?
Bed without supper?
Is not being locked in a room with or without food against basic human rights?
Deprive a child of a favourite toy? Isn’t this mental abuse?

Yes, I know this is being a bit silly but so is saying a parent is not allowed to smack their child, isn’t it. I don’t mean for any old reason or on a regular basis, or with enough force to cause injury but surely a smack on the backside so a child would think owww, I’d best not do that again, can’t really hurt?

I can honestly say that I could count on one hand the times I remember being smacked as a child, (maybe I’m just lucky?) and on each occasion I deserved it and it made me realise how stupid the things I done were. I didn’t turn out to be a mugger, serial killer or even a bad tempered driver. In moderation, how can it be wrong??

Stevan
Old Jun 24th 2003, 10:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Heard on the radio many, many moons ago:

I brought you [smack] on holiday [smack] to have a good time [smack] and by golly [smack] I'm gonna [smack] see to it [smack] that you DO [smack] have a good time - you ungrateful little sod [smack, smack, smack].

Best heard and not read but what can you do? Use your imagination.
Old Jun 24th 2003, 11:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Default Re: Devils Advocate?

Originally posted by Stevandiane
When I was at school they still had the cane, you did something wrong, you got the cane. I still remember how much it stung, but it didn’t have any lasting affects.

What else are teachers supposed to do, oh yer detention, expulsion. That’s a big deterrent to a teenager isn’t it (not).
Right on. Comparing being caned, strapped, slippered or smacked at school with the mental abuse some teachers handed out well I'll take the corporal punishent any day. Teachers nowdays spend half their time screaming and yelling at the kids. Strict teachers in the past hardly needed to raise their voice.

My Dad spanked me (very occasionally) until I was about nine then he had a stroke (3 of them all together). He then resorted to very cruel mental abuse. Which did I prefer? I look back on the spankings almost with nostalgia. It was done with love. Not so the later treatment...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.