Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Slip, Slop, Slap

Slip, Slop, Slap

Old Oct 30th 2002, 2:47 am
BE Enthusiast

suebo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Melanotan

This debate can go for EVVVEEERRRRRRR. So thank you Snowbird for your comment, there are parts of the US that are just as hot or hotter than OZ and the cancer rate is not as high!!!!! Is that because us silly aussies just want to stay in the sun? I don't think so... But yes, all our our cities are based at the ocean, doesn't mean that we all flock to the ocean. With the population of the USA (200+ mill) to OZ (18+ mill), you think the rate would be higher in USA. But it is not.
Old Oct 30th 2002, 3:19 am
Just Joined

Snowbird is an unknown quantity at this point

Suebo wrote;
'This debate can go for EVVVEEERRRRRRR. So thank you Snowbird for your comment, there are parts of the US that are just as hot or hotter than OZ and
the cancer rate is not as high!!!!!

Its possible that the skin cancer rate in AZ, TX, etc is just as high as in OZ. (Anybody know where to find the statistics?) Arizona was having 120 F
days in July, thats 50 C.
http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0001731.html
I just really look forward to melanotan going on the market. Bruce Sterling wrote an S.F. novel that referenced a pill that turned you black with your own increased melanin. I thought it was fantasy till I heard about melanotan.

"Is that because us silly aussies just want to
stay in the sun? I don't think so... But yes, all our our cities are based at the ocean, doesn't mean that we all flock to the ocean. With the population of the USA (200+ mill) to OZ (18+ mill), you think the rate would be higher in USA. But it is not."

You dont get as much sun all over the US so that skews the results for the whole population. Maybe the sun off the OZ ocean is harsher too.
But do you think that if caucasians get their hands on a melanin pill that turns them very dark it will affect race relations in any way?
Old Oct 30th 2002, 4:23 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by suebo
Okay I stand corrected. Australia has been effected by the hole in the Ozone that is in the Antartic. The hole there occurs every spring and is 3 times the size of Australia. Therefore I still say that is the reason OZ has the worst skin cancer, because of the thinning ozone layer there.
How can you say the reason for cancer is the hole in the Ozone... come on! Even scientists will not say this. Next you'll be saying global warming.. . considering official weather records are new (what 100 years maybe?..official documentation). The earth has gone through heat and ice.. man has only kept records of weather for a very short period of time. Man have only been on this planet for a blink of an eye. I say to you name one scientist who has said "that cancer is due to the hole in the ozone"

As for Asia being cooler than Brisbane in relation to the other post (not yours suebo) ... Singapore is 34c all year round (12 months of the year) Brisbane is what.. only warm for a couple of months, and in those months we may see 40 during two weeks at the most. .Thailand reaches way into the 40's during April (Bangkok is the worlds official hottest city in the world... this is over a period of a year... yearly temps taken into account), unlike Brisbane. It's summer now... what's the temp? my thermometer is reading 28c at the moment. 40 in Brisbane is hot... it's not considered normal (that's a heatwave)... Ipswich is one of the hottest places in Brisbane, coldest in winter, hot in summer (inland). So you're quoting the hot place of Brisbane... most people live around the Bay suburbs, or closer to the sea anyway.

The fact of the matter... most Australians are white... we burn more easily than a very dark skinned person , like an aborigine who has adapted through centuries (not to say dark skinned people won't get cancer either though). We sunbathe, we do stupid things... you don't see a native mowing his grass do you? Or sunbathing to get a tan?
Until recently most white people wanted a tan, "we" sunbathed, we did not cover up..
cancer rates are dropping in Australia because people are becoming more aware.

cheers

P.s... I don't know if there are any figures for this, but my betting would be Brisbane would be one of the highest in Australia for skin cancer, or Sydney (Sydney because of population).. Brisbane because of heat and we are third populous city in oz. Both cities are known for their Beach life style.

The point is white people have been stupid in the sun, and are still stupid to a point.... I'm allowed to say this 'cause I'm white
Old Oct 30th 2002, 4:30 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by Perth Helena
To keep things from biting, the only repellent to use is "Bushman" and "Bushman Plus". Forget the Aeroguard and other stuff. Useless compared to Bushman. Not sure how easy it is to find, but camping stores will have it.
You'll also find it in any tackle shop (fishing shop), or most chemists... it's all that I use. It is the best repellent... very strong.I do a lot of fishing/bush walking and the supermarket brands don't do the job. Only prob with Bushman's keep it away from anything plastic.. like a watch strap, or the face of your watch.. it melts certain plastics, as I've found out

cheers

Last edited by Ceri; Oct 30th 2002 at 4:34 am.
Old Oct 30th 2002, 4:42 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Originally posted by Snowbird
Suebo wrote;
'This debate can go for EVVVEEERRRRRRR. So thank you Snowbird for your comment, there are parts of the US that are just as hot or hotter than OZ and
the cancer rate is not as high!!!!!

Its possible that the skin cancer rate in AZ, TX, etc is just as high as in OZ. (Anybody know where to find the statistics?) Arizona was having 120 F
days in July, thats 50 C.
http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0001731.html
I just really look forward to melanotan going on the market. Bruce Sterling wrote an S.F. novel that referenced a pill that turned you black with your own increased melanin. I thought it was fantasy till I heard about melanotan.

"Is that because us silly aussies just want to
stay in the sun? I don't think so... But yes, all our our cities are based at the ocean, doesn't mean that we all flock to the ocean. With the population of the USA (200+ mill) to OZ (18+ mill), you think the rate would be higher in USA. But it is not."

You dont get as much sun all over the US so that skews the results for the whole population. Maybe the sun off the OZ ocean is harsher too.
But do you think that if caucasians get their hands on a melanin pill that turns them very dark it will affect race relations in any way?
Just a quick comment... cancer rates are based on population ratio...

cheers
Old Oct 30th 2002, 6:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

suebo is on a distinguished road

whatever