Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Slip, Slop, Slap

Slip, Slop, Slap

Old Oct 28th 2002, 2:18 am
BE Enthusiast

suebo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Slip, Slop, Slap

I did a lot of sunbathing in Malaysia and a little in Singapore and found it very hard to get a tan. In Australia, if I walk down the street for 15 minutes I will come out red red red...ouch I generally keep out of the sun altogether, but it is too hot in Malaysia to do that unless you want to stay indoors with the aircon blowing 24 hours a day.
Old Oct 28th 2002, 3:17 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

you'll get a tan alright there... In the first month I landed there, I went swimming up the local pool, without the cream. I was out in it for two hours... I burnt my a** off! seriously, I had to sit in a bath of cold water for a couple of hours,burnt lobster.. I was in agony. Stupid really... never again. I then always used to wear cream if on the beach, or in the pool... and still managed to have an all year round dark tan in Singapore.

But I do think it is the difference between cultures.. Asians generally speaking, do not want to go darker/brown, it's quite the opposite really. Malaysians, especially the women don't go around in swimsuits, they tend to wear T-shirts over the top (Culture/religion). It seems only "whites" sunbathe, and as Australia is the only "white/western" country which I can think of which is hot... the cancer rate will be high, plus your getting a lot of cases now in Australia among the older people... who used to sunbathe hours on end before all the warnings.It's the difference between cultures.

cheers
Old Oct 28th 2002, 3:57 am
deteo

Originally posted by Ceri
The answer to this is no... humidity doesn't reduce the chance. Brisbane is also quite humid in the summer, although no where near the same amount as humidity levels as Singapore.
Australia has the highest amount of skin cancer cases in the world... for a reason.

In Singapore (and places like Malaysia) people do not tend to Sunbathe the same amount as Westerners (Australians). You do not see people (Asians) sunbathing the same amount over there in Singapore (I lived there in Singapore for 5 years). I also used sun block while swimming... there's no way I could have gone on a beach, or in a pool in Singapore after about half hour in the sun without burning (I'm fair skinned). Plus most Australians are westerners, fairer skinned... which will burn before Asian or African skin. Fair skin is thinner and will burn before a darker skinned race. I burn very easily being fair, my mother is worse she can't look at the sun without burning

Australia, even now... with all these warnings you see lots and lots of people lining the beaches sunbathing! Roasting their skin... trying to go brown, get a tan.

I think this is the answer.
Different cultures. Asians don't tend to sunbathe the same amount as Aussies. You being in Singapore must see people walking around with umbrellas, and walking under the shade of shops eh?.. it's too hot and humid to sit in the sun for hours on end there.
This is your answer... Australians do still sunbathe quite a lot (and expose their skin to the sun, even if not sunbathing, they are outdoors a lot under the sun... such as gardening) Despite the warnings of skin cancer, you only need to walk along the Gold coast beaches to still see lots of people baking in the sun trying to achieve a suntan

cheers
Yes, you had answered my questions. And I can add, people here are doing routine things everyday:
wake up -> take car/taxi/train (fully aircon) -> office door step (some train stops are just underground below the big offices, like Raffles place) -> fully aircon office -> go back home by car/taxi train -> home door step -> fully aircon room.

Some hardworking people might not ever see sunlight. Those who ever stayed here know what I am talking about.

Old Oct 28th 2002, 4:33 am
sydneyrose

Originally posted by suebo
Australia has the worst rate of skin cancer due to the hole in the Ozone Layer
It is the effect of harsh sunlight combined with genetic background that produces skin cancer. celtic background. irish. highland scot etc. oz has a loading of celtic genes from 19 th century migration. it is not just the fair skin but fair celtic skin.
but it is recommended that everyone irrespective of race cover exposed skin in sun cream and wear a hat. you get used to it.

Old Oct 28th 2002, 7:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Australias natural people the Aboriginies are Black skinned, which is the correct skin for this climate.

White Australians have skin like leather. My Australian Husband jokes he married a pom because he could not marry a leather faced woman! If I stand next to my sister in the UK tho , she has the most beautiful unlined skin, yet mine despite all the sun protection routine, is already beginning to damage and had one cancer already. It is even damaging you in the car and through big windows at home! Probably not a good place to come if you value your looks.
Old Oct 29th 2002, 1:49 am
Forum Regular

kaleb777 is an unknown quantity at this point

I was born in Aus, but have travelled extensively throughout Asia. The difference between Asia and Australia is that in Asia it is hot all the time but it is usually overcast (cloudy). In Australia you get most days (at least in Brisbane) with absolutely no clouds in the sky. The direct sun burn everything. You will soon find that people will kill for a carpark in the shade, and will drive around looking for one while there are plenty out in the sun. People drive in cars with the windows up, air con on and tinted windows to block sunlight. We grow veges under shade cloth because the sun is too strong for veges. People work inside as much as possible, stay inside or under shade during the heat of the day. It's just something you get used to. You don't need to try to get brown, it just happens walking to the letter box or to the train station. Kids should stay inside in the heat of the day. I mow the lawn on dusk. People around where I live have mown the lawn in the dark with there headlights on the ride-on mower. It's no big deal, you just learn that the sun is very, very strong and you must avoid it around midday. I have had a cassette sticking out of my car stereo melt. I've burnt my leg on a seat belt buckle. You have no idea until you are here, but it sure beats the cold. I'm sitting inside in the air conditioning now with my solar hot water system on the roof making water so hot that it vents out as steam. It's an adventure. :-)
Old Oct 29th 2002, 2:13 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

But I do think it is the difference between cultures.. Asians generally speaking, do not want to go darker/brown, it's quite the opposite really. Malaysians, especially the women don't go around in swimsuits, they tend to wear T-shirts over the top (Culture/religion).

Not all Malaysian girls are like that, thankfully It does depend on their family upbringing, religion and culture, yes.

Singaporean girls OTOH....

But your observation about Asian women wanting to avoid being dark/brown is generally true.

Peter
Old Oct 29th 2002, 2:35 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Keleb,
Come on it's not that hot in Brisbane ... you make it sound like the Sahara desert
I've lived in Singapore with my job for a good few years before coming to Australia, also travelling on site throughout Asia, Thailand (which reaches the 40's around April), Indonesia, also Labuan (40's) and of course Malaysia which I used to pop over to most weekends... and Brisbane is no where near as hot as places in Asia, like Singapore . I find Brisbane cool compared to S.E.A, except for the odd heatwave.
Singapore is not mostly cloudy, of course they do get cloudy days, but it's sunny most days... it will rain each day ... a downpour of rain for about half hour during the summer (if you call it summer... no seasons). And the sun shines mostly... The difference is, most people do not sit in the sun there,unlike Brisbane.. the beaches are packed with people here mid day on a hot summers day sunbathing and surfing. Also most people in Singapore anyway, do not have gardens to mow, and everything is air conditioned, transport, buses, MRT's, etc, etc... shops are in huge covered centres, a lot of people walk with umbrellas shading themselves.

I'm in Brisbane and I've yet to turn my aircon on yet... the weather is lovely at the moment.
The only time I found it a bit hot was with the heat wave last year when it reached into the 40's... but that's because the house I'm in at the moment is not very good... cold in winter, warm in summer.. no insulation. Most people where I live in Brisbane mow their lawn in the day (silly b*ggers), not in the night, or they mow early morning... Sunday bl**dy morning!! .. argg, I can't have a late lay in ... don't you just hate that??

Anyone who comes from S.E.A to live in Brisbane will find it a nice change.. a lot cooler.
I'm originally from wales.. which of course is a lot colder than Brisbane, I'm fair skinned, everything which should make me hate the heat.. but I don't find Brisbane overbearingly hot, it's hell of a lot cooler than S.E.A. It's just that I see huge differences here in Australia to Asia, some people in Australia still do not respect the sun even though "they" warn people about the dangers of cancer.. I still see people here sunbathing, browning themselves.

I also do a lot of fishing in the Bay (boat) in the summer months.. I'm always suprised how many other people on boats out there, are sitting out there without T-shirts on, brown as hell.. almost black, instead of shading themselves. If you've ever been out on the bay in a boat during the summer heat, you'll know how hot it gets out there on the water, you burn like hell on the water.Then you'll see one small tinny (boat) with people sitting there with umbrellas up... you can guess what race they are (Asians)... still today a lot of white Aussies want a tan. And I do honestly believe the cancer rate is high in Australia because of White people... if this was an Asian country, or African country.. I rekon there would be less cancer cases.

cheers

Last edited by Ceri; Oct 29th 2002 at 3:00 am.
Old Oct 29th 2002, 3:08 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Originally posted by ptlabs
Not all Malaysian girls are like that, thankfully It does depend on their family upbringing, religion and culture, yes.

Singaporean girls OTOH....

But your observation about Asian women wanting to avoid being dark/brown is generally true.

Peter
yes, it's quite the opposite isn't it. They prefer to be pale/white... while "whites/caucasions" want to be brown. Nobody's happy with what they've got are they? funny really. It's the same as some people they've got straight hair so they curl it, curly haired people try to straighten it..

I used to go swimming in Kota Tinggi some weekends.. and all the Malaysian girls used to wear t-shirts over their swim wear.. so I felt a bit self conscious, and used to do the same. "When in Rome..."

cheers

Last edited by Ceri; Oct 29th 2002 at 3:18 am.
Old Oct 29th 2002, 3:16 am
BE Enthusiast

yes, it's quite the opposite isn't it. They prefer to be pale/white... while "whites/caucasions" want to be brown. Nobody's happy with what they've got are they? funny really. It's the same as some people they've got straight hair so they curl it, curly haired people try to straighten it..

I used to go swimming in Kota Tinnggi some weekends.. and all the Malaysian girls used to wear t-shirts over their swim wear.. so I felt a bit self conscious, and used to do the same. "When in Rome..."

cheers
Are you sure that is not because of their religion....and not the sun?? They are not really allowed to bare themselves over there.
Old Oct 29th 2002, 3:17 am
BE Enthusiast

I used to go swimming in Kota Tinnggi some weekends.. and all the Malaysian girls used to wear t-shirts over their swim wear.. so I felt a bit self conscious, and used to do the same. "When in Rome..."

cheers
Are you sure that is not because of their religion....and not the sun?? They are not really allowed to bare themselves over there. Whether they are Muslim or not.
Old Oct 29th 2002, 3:21 am
Y Ddraig Goch

suebo, if you read my earlier posting.. I did say malaysia was because of religion

Singaporeans, who are mostly chinese (yes there are Indians and Malays too), but mostly chinese, is because they do not want to go brown

cheers
Old Oct 29th 2002, 3:53 am
BE Enthusiast

suebo, if you read my earlier posting.. I did say malaysia was because of religion

Singaporeans, who are mostly chinese (yes there are Indians and Malays too), but mostly chinese, is because they do not want to go brown

cheers
Sorry missed that, too many posts to read
Old Oct 29th 2002, 3:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Too many post to read through
Old Oct 29th 2002, 3:56 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by suebo
Are you sure that is not because of their religion....and not the sun?? They are not really allowed to bare themselves over there.
Not all Malaysians are Muslims. However, Kota Tinggi is a relatively Muslim area.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.