Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Slightly off but help desperately required

Slightly off but help desperately required

Old May 19th 2002, 1:20 am
Jaj

Default Re: Slightly off but help desperately required

Should you be like Columbus and burn your boats on arrival (according to the legend
anyhow), or is keeping a bolthole in the UK attractive?

There's no easy answer to this, just a number of issues to consider:

1. I've known people who did sell up to migrate and returned after a year, at great
personal cost. On the other hand I've come across people who did sell up,
couldn't return when they wanted to for this reason, and years later are very
glad they stayed in Australia.

Whether you sell in the UK or not, you should plan to stay for at least three years
no matter what. That's the minimum you need to give Australia a chance to work out,
plus it also gives you the time to organise Australian citizenship (if NZ, you need
to add a year to this). If after the three years you *still* don't like it, then
think about coming back, not before.

2. Keeping a property in the UK could be a good long term hedge against anything
going wrong with Australia's economy versus the UK. The point is even more valid
if you are going to New Zealand.

3. Clearly there are other issues with keeping a property in the UK, including plans
to purchase in Australia, finding a good letting agent, plus tax considerations.
If you have a relative or friend nearby to keep an eye on the property, it may
make the renting option more feasible.

Jeremy

>On 18 May 2002 23:20:09 GMT, shaun/lor <[email protected]> wrote: look guys
    >you cant have it all ways, just sell the lot and go. pay everyone you need to and
    >dont come back. if you go holding on to things then i dont think it helps you to
    >think negitive. youll have all your money to start your new life with. perhaps thats
    >why alot of people come back because they didnt GO to begin with. good luck all lor
    >
    >
    >
    >--
    >Ian....
    >
    >Posted via http://britishexpats.com

>On 18 May 2002 23:20:09 GMT, Gerard <[email protected]> wrote: You're not the
    >first to tell us we are being negative by keeping the house in UK. I'll end up
    >clouting my Dad if he mentions it again.
    >
    >
    >
    >--
    >Ian....
    >
    >Posted via http://britishexpats.com