Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Slacks Creek or Redlands Bay?

Slacks Creek or Redlands Bay?

Old Jul 28th 2011, 6:05 pm
Forum Regular

swallowbride is a name known to allswallowbride is a name known to allswallowbride is a name known to allswallowbride is a name known to allswallowbride is a name known to allswallowbride is a name known to allswallowbride is a name known to allswallowbride is a name known to allswallowbride is a name known to allswallowbride is a name known to allswallowbride is a name known to all
Default Slacks Creek or Redlands Bay?

Hi,
We (family of 5) are moving out soon OH is a painter and decorator we would like to know if anybody knows if there is much work in either of these 2 places for this trade?
Or any where nearish to coast (30-40 min drive) where there could be work, we have looked for jobs online but can't seem to find much info. Hope to hear from some useful advice soon, x
Old Jul 29th 2011, 5:21 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Slacks Creek or Redlands Bay?

What's the attraction of Slacks Creek?
Old Jul 29th 2011, 5:38 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by swallowbride
Hi,
We (family of 5) are moving out soon OH is a painter and decorator we would like to know if anybody knows if there is much work in either of these 2 places for this trade?
Or any where nearish to coast (30-40 min drive) where there could be work, we have looked for jobs online but can't seem to find much info. Hope to hear from some useful advice soon, x
Originally Posted by bcworld
What's the attraction of Slacks Creek?
Not a great deal as far as I can tell, I am guessing Redland Bay is a preferable place to live purely on what I have seen of Slacks Creek.
Old Jul 29th 2011, 5:46 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Not a great deal as far as I can tell, I am guessing Redland Bay is a preferable place to live purely on what I have seen of Slacks Creek.
Unless you value being in close proximity to Swedish meatballs I'd have thought it was distinctly 'wrong side of the tracks'?
Old Jul 29th 2011, 5:52 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you value being in close proximity to Swedish meatballs I'd have thought it was distinctly 'wrong side of the tracks'?
I seem to remember an article in the local paper about a couple who went on holiday to QLD and based themselves in Slacks Creek by mistake.

It was quite funny and indicative of the desirability of the area.

I'm sure there are people there living quite happily and all that but if you are going to traverse the planet and settle somewhere I'd be giving it a miss.

I guess if you worked at Ikea then it would be handy.
Old Jul 29th 2011, 5:55 am
Mostly Harmless

Hi,
And I have to ask, how did you pick your username?
Old Jul 29th 2011, 6:00 am
Frequent Flyer Member

Did you see the new 'Skittles ad'?
Old Jul 29th 2011, 6:02 am
Mostly Harmless

Did you see the new 'Skittles ad'?
No ...
Old Jul 29th 2011, 6:03 am
Frequent Flyer Member

No ...
Youtube it...Skittles Newlyweds
Old Jul 29th 2011, 6:06 am
Mostly Harmless

Youtube it...Skittles Newlyweds
My life ... that is not right and may put me off my stroke ...
Old Jul 30th 2011, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

swallowbride is a name known to allswallowbride is a name known to allswallowbride is a name known to allswallowbride is a name known to allswallowbride is a name known to allswallowbride is a name known to allswallowbride is a name known to allswallowbride is a name known to allswallowbride is a name known to allswallowbride is a name known to allswallowbride is a name known to all

Hhmmmmm, I was awarded it!!!! Lol x
Old Jul 31st 2011, 12:30 am
Mostly Harmless

Hhmmmmm, I was awarded it!!!! Lol x
Well one does make a summer so there are worse things to be called.

It's better than being an expired cleaning agent I guess.
Old Jul 31st 2011, 5:50 am
BE Enthusiast

bananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud of

We are moving from Sydney to Brisbane and I spent hours poring through rental websites and online suburb reviews.

Personally, I dont think either of those areas looks particularly nice. Yes some of the houses are big and cheap but ya know....

IMO, most of Brisbane is about a 40 minutes drive from the beach so where you live wont matter in that respect

Does hubby have to work in the area you live in, or can he commute a little bit?
Old Jul 31st 2011, 7:12 am
Just Joined

slinkymalinky has a brilliant futureslinkymalinky has a brilliant futureslinkymalinky has a brilliant futureslinkymalinky has a brilliant futureslinkymalinky has a brilliant futureslinkymalinky has a brilliant futureslinkymalinky has a brilliant future

Hi,
Redland Bay is preferable if you want coastal breezes. Slacks Creek is very industrial and your choice of decent property to rent might be limited, unless you move a little more east, somewhere like Daisy Hill which is ok. The whole of the Redlands is a great family location with more choice on rentals as there is so much in the way of new builds. If your hubby finds work in Brisbane you are looking at an hours commute by van and then you have the cost of parking etc. He probably wouln't go by public transport as a traddie, but if he did, there is a commuter bus from Victoria Point, near Redland Bay. As there is now a full dual carriage way to Brisbane that area has become more popular to live over the last few years. It is very expat however, not just brits but lots of interstate Australian movers, south africans, Kiwis etc. Reasonable school choice in that area and of course good access to the Bay Islands. Hope this helps good luck.
Old Jul 31st 2011, 7:42 am
Forum Regular

Hi All,
Thanks for all your replies, No OH hasn't got work, or house or school for kids--- NOTHING!!! This is why we are asking so many questions on here! Our priority is to find OH work then settle near to there, so sounding out areas.

Thanks again, x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.