Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Skype using wireless internet connection

Skype using wireless internet connection

Old Mar 13th 2008, 11:54 pm
Confused member

SunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud of
Question Skype using wireless internet connection

Is it possible to use Skype with a wireless internet connection? As it's wireless, there's no landline connection so don't know if it can be done?
Old Mar 13th 2008, 11:55 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Skype using wireless internet connection

Originally Posted by SunshineGirl
Is it possible to use Skype with a wireless internet connection? As it's wireless, there's no landline connection so don't know if it can be done?
yes it can be I do it all the time! as long as you have broadband you are laughing I have wireless on my lappy and so does my OH he in Oz and I in the UK
Old Mar 14th 2008, 12:02 am
Ber-kerk

Wheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by asher
yes it can be I do it all the time! as long as you have broadband you are laughing I have wireless on my lappy and so does my OH he in Oz and I in the UK
I concur! No problems for me on my laptop either.
Old Mar 14th 2008, 12:05 am
Confused member

SunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud of

Excellent! Thanks you for the replies, I'll give it a whirl!
Old Mar 14th 2008, 12:45 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent! Thanks you for the replies, I'll give it a whirl!
Probably best not to "whirl" - it can create interference with the wireless signal. Best just to have PC sat soemwhere nice and stable.
Old Mar 14th 2008, 12:57 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EvannTel
Probably best not to "whirl" - it can create interference with the wireless signal. Best just to have PC sat soemwhere nice and stable.
That's right. You can get in a real mess with the headset cord - unless that's wireless too anyway.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 10:36 am
alien

silentwalker is a name known to allsilentwalker is a name known to allsilentwalker is a name known to allsilentwalker is a name known to allsilentwalker is a name known to allsilentwalker is a name known to allsilentwalker is a name known to allsilentwalker is a name known to allsilentwalker is a name known to allsilentwalker is a name known to allsilentwalker is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Wheeler-Jones
I concur! No problems for me on my laptop either.
Has anyone tried the Skype enabled mobile phones that 3 mobile offers? For example this one - http://www.three.com.au/threestore/m...nt_offer.xhtml

Is it a good burgain or should we just stick to laptop+skype+internet ?

Your comments will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 10:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by silentwalker
Has anyone tried the Skype enabled mobile phones that 3 mobile offers? For example this one - http://www.three.com.au/threestore/m...nt_offer.xhtml

Well not exactly. I have a linksys wireless phone, which as the name suggests connects wirelessly to my laptop, which is connected wirelessly to my broadband connection, and it works fine.

I have a work laptop, which has a NextG mobile phone card, which uses the mobile phone network to connect me wirelessly to my work computer. I probably could connect my linksys phone to it, and set up Skype and make free phone calls. But I would also be sacked.

I'm sure it would work though, for the month before I got sacked

JTL
Old Mar 16th 2008, 10:55 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

OH bought a skype phone so that he can chat to mates in London using the telephone as this gives him a local London number and he only pays for a local call on a landline rate. It is very useful for calling the tax office or something like that as well, he also uses it to call family who don't have computers.

I am deaf so this is no good for us

we use a combination of skype and windows live messenger(msn) as sometimes skype wont work and msn will or vice versa.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 11:11 am
Forum Regular

Dazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud of

As far as I can tell, that phone is a mobile phone with Skype bolted on. As such, it has a monthly subscription. So if you already have a mobile phone contract you won't want the added expense. There are Skype phones that you would only pay a one-off payment for - that's the type I'll be getting.

Here's a selection I found when googling for voip phones:

http://www.i-voip.co.uk/catalog/cata...?CallCatalog=P

You'll notice they are all slightly different - if you're not sure what it all means give me a shout back and I'll help you pick one if you like. However, my personal recommendation would be the "Netgear-SPH200-Dualphone" which is a cordless Skype handset that doubles as a landline - although I'm not saying I would necessarily buy it from this site (I would personally try Amazon and/or DABS first).
Old Mar 16th 2008, 11:16 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dazster
As far as I can tell, that phone is a mobile phone with Skype bolted on. As such, it has a monthly subscription. So if you already have a mobile phone contract you won't want the added expense. There are Skype phones that you would only pay a one-off payment for - that's the type I'll be getting.
That's correct. Essentially what you save in phone calls, you spend in 3G data. Nice little scam by 3 really
Old Mar 16th 2008, 12:26 pm
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wmoore
That's correct. Essentially what you save in phone calls, you spend in 3G data. Nice little scam by 3 really
Hi there

You do not pay data charges for the Skype calls you make.
You automatically get 4000 mins free per month for you to make Skype calls and that can be to other Skype mobile (3 network) phones or Skype users in the other countries.

We have had a Skype mobile for a few month now and think it's great!
Old Mar 16th 2008, 8:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

simongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. I have wireless in my home and I use Skype all the time.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 10:03 pm
Confused member

I asked a friend in the UK who uses Skype and this is her reply:

"Skype is so easy.....you need to download the package onto your computer from skype.com, then you need to buy a little phone to plug into your computor. Then search and add your cointacts and it is so easy. I also have a camera plugged in so I can see my mates."

I don't have a phone connection as I use wireless internet - can I still use Skype?
Old Mar 16th 2008, 10:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

I have skype installed on my xda and use it over my wireless connection

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.