Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Skype / MSN Messenger / Yahoo Messenger

Skype / MSN Messenger / Yahoo Messenger

Old Aug 10th 2008, 11:30 am
Forum Regular

Location: Canberra for 2 days......bored....now Narrabeen on Sydneys northern Beaches
mcstu1 has a spectacular aura aboutmcstu1 has a spectacular aura aboutmcstu1 has a spectacular aura about
Default Skype / MSN Messenger / Yahoo Messenger

Anyone having any luck with video calls to the uk using any of these. Had a frustrating few nights trying to get it working with my parents in the uk. we both have good broadband connections, skype headsets and labtec webcams. i even work in IT so should know what im doing! Skype just cuts out after 20 seconds every call and msn has poor quality sound and video that doesnt update!!!!help!
Old Aug 10th 2008, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

trevamather is a jewel in the roughtrevamather is a jewel in the roughtrevamather is a jewel in the roughtrevamather is a jewel in the roughtrevamather is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Skype / MSN Messenger / Yahoo Messenger

I would be interested in knowing anyting about these awell....trying to get skype set up before we are off
Old Aug 10th 2008, 1:38 pm
Just Joined

dvdkb is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by mcstu1
Anyone having any luck with video calls to the uk using any of these. Had a frustrating few nights trying to get it working with my parents in the uk. we both have good broadband connections, skype headsets and labtec webcams. i even work in IT so should know what im doing! Skype just cuts out after 20 seconds every call and msn has poor quality sound and video that doesnt update!!!!help!
We had 12 fantastic months of reliable Skype, but the past 3-4mths have been a nightmare. EVERY call to the in-laws (every Sunday night) drops. It could be after 1 minute or 30 minutes, theres no telling/warning, plus call quality has been dire too. Skype are not being very helpful with a resolution, but I think it is a minefield. It could be anything from a setting on either pc, to the wireless connection, to the modem, to the phone line, etc, etc.
Need to sort, but difficult to, when the 2 pcs concerned are at different ends of the world!
Good luck with finding a stable platform!
V
Old Aug 10th 2008, 2:01 pm
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by mcstu1
I set up Skype on my PC with webcam and my father and another friend have set ip up on their PCs in the UK and it works beatifully. Works every time. Never had a problem. Have you got fast enough broadband. I use BigPond ADSL Liberty* (12GB) 1500/256.
Old Aug 10th 2008, 2:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

edie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by dvdkb
We had 12 fantastic months of reliable Skype, but the past 3-4mths have been a nightmare. EVERY call to the in-laws (every Sunday night) drops. It could be after 1 minute or 30 minutes, theres no telling/warning, plus call quality has been dire too. Skype are not being very helpful with a resolution, but I think it is a minefield. It could be anything from a setting on either pc, to the wireless connection, to the modem, to the phone line, etc, etc.
Need to sort, but difficult to, when the 2 pcs concerned are at different ends of the world!
Good luck with finding a stable platform!
V
Would you be by any chance using version 4.0.59.150 as I have been trying this version and I am have the same problems as you (8 meg to 8meg in UK) although on my home LAN everthing is fine

When I was using an earlier version it was fine
Old Aug 10th 2008, 2:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

seat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to all

Using 3.8 on Skype and had no problems what so ever
Old Aug 10th 2008, 2:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

edie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by seat151
Using 3.8 on Skype and had no problems what so ever
There could be a problem then with version 4.0.59.150 it is Beta after all