Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Skype, free chats!

Skype, free chats!

Old Nov 4th 2005, 3:50 pm
Adelaide Bound

Seacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of light
Default Skype, free chats!

Hi all,

Some of you may find this useful, we have just been introduced to it ourselves! You can talk for free through your pc/mac with microphones to any other users who are subscribed to Skype, and its free! Haven't tried it to Oz yet, but works fine to Ireland!!!

www.skype.com

Cappie
Old Nov 4th 2005, 5:52 pm
Just Joined

chrisvan is a jewel in the roughchrisvan is a jewel in the roughchrisvan is a jewel in the roughchrisvan is a jewel in the roughchrisvan is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Skype, free chats!

Hi Seacaptain

Can confirm have used skype from Uk to Perth!!

Chris
Old Nov 4th 2005, 5:59 pm
Live it not dream it!!

happy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Seacaptain
Hi all,

Some of you may find this useful, we have just been introduced to it ourselves! You can talk for free through your pc/mac with microphones to any other users who are subscribed to Skype, and its free! Haven't tried it to Oz yet, but works fine to Ireland!!!

www.skype.com

Cappie
You can even get a proper phone which plugs into your usb socket so it's just like a normal phone. You can use it on the skype service or switch to your normal landline.
Old Nov 4th 2005, 7:05 pm
Living the dream downunde

Location: MeadowBank, Sydney, Aussie Land of Sea,Sun and Seashells
rapitts is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm a big user of Skype, we have purchased the SKype In service which gives you a London number, when people ring the London number it rings our house phone (using a USB phone adaptor) here in Sydney, great for family and friends as they are only paying for a London call.
Old Nov 4th 2005, 8:41 pm
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by rapitts
I'm a big user of Skype, we have purchased the SKype In service which gives you a London number, when people ring the London number it rings our house phone (using a USB phone adaptor) here in Sydney, great for family and friends as they are only paying for a London call.
Might as well use MSN with a web cam speaker phone and for calling landlines there are loads of deals here for calling overseas. We pay 8c per minute to call the UK..thus Skype isn't really worth while - in my humble opinion

r
Old Nov 4th 2005, 8:43 pm
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by samnrob2
Might as well use MSN with a web cam speaker phone and for calling landlines there are loads of deals here for calling overseas. We pay 8c per minute to call the UK..thus Skype isn't really worth while - in my humble opinion

r
Skype's voice thingy is much clearer than MSN's tho, although I use MSN
Old Nov 4th 2005, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

rangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by samnrob2

r
HI have they not got phone cards in sydney for 2.5c a min just a thought
Old Nov 4th 2005, 9:16 pm
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by rangersman
HI have they not got phone cards in sydney for 2.5c a min just a thought
no idea...we only phone my mum and dad on the landline, everyone else we use msn

R
Old Nov 4th 2005, 9:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

eintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to all

This is absolutely amazing. I've never heard of this before.
Old Nov 5th 2005, 4:33 am
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

I use skype and have a phone plugged into my usb port. It is as clear as any phone call I ever made in England and as we have broadband is free as we have unlimited access so are already paying for it anyway.
Old Nov 5th 2005, 8:03 am
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seacaptain
Hi all,

www.skype.com

Cappie
Hi

I posted this the other day.... with Voip Cheap and a £5.00 credit, all calls to the UK a free and your £5.00 remains as long as you keep calling the free UK numbers.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ght=free+calls
Old Nov 5th 2005, 8:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Sue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond repute

We use Skype its great Although my dad called and told me that they were saying on the news in the UK that there has been computer hackers when using Skype to Skype, they are recommending to update your Skype on there web page to stop any chance of this happening.

Calls from Skype to a land line is cheap too

Sue
Old Nov 5th 2005, 8:25 am
Forum Regular

Ozceltic is a jewel in the roughOzceltic is a jewel in the roughOzceltic is a jewel in the roughOzceltic is a jewel in the rough

Are you regular users on broadband or dial up? Would this service work ok between two users a world apart and both on dial up?
Old Nov 5th 2005, 8:52 am
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Ozceltic
Are you regular users on broadband or dial up? Would this service work ok between two users a world apart and both on dial up?
If you look on www.Skype.com it gives you the system requirements, I think you can only not use it on GPRS
Old Nov 5th 2005, 1:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold

found the link with the info

http://www.voipvoice.com/_PDF/Cyberp...rt%20Guide.pdf