Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Skype - couple of questions....

Skype - couple of questions....

Old Nov 16th 2005, 5:47 am
Forum Regular

Judes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really nice
Default Skype - couple of questions....

We've recently set up Skype but when I used it with my Dad back in the UK we got a lot of feedback this end. We're just using the laptop's internal speakers and microphone and I read on an earlier post that this might cause feedback. But I don't really want to get a headset as we both want to speak/hear when using Skype. Does anyone use just a microphone and does this work ok? We're getting our webcam shipped over and this has a built in mic but we're not planning on using webcams all the time.

Also, why do people use SKype for voice and MSN for video? Can you not use MSN for both? Sorry, but I'm clueless on these kind of things.

Oh and last thing, I've noticed that our mic volume keeps getting muted even when we untick the mute box, so other end can't hear us. I had a look at the Skype setting and there's something that says 'allow Skype to adjust settings'.....would this be muting the mic? Do most people turn this off?

Any help appreciated !!

Judy
Old Nov 16th 2005, 6:25 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Re: Skype - couple of questions....

Have always found Skype to give the best sound transfer so far.

We use a Logitech USB Mic free standing, used same in UK but left it to go on container but have managed to find in Aus.

The USB one has straight USB plug in and thicker wire than what you find in Harvey Norman and the like so less likely to snap.

We bought it online no hassle from:

http://www.streetwise.com.au/product...oducts_id=1668

Logitech USB Desktop Microphone costs $39.95 + postage.

If you use chosen mic plus web cam tend to get best of both worlds..just watch for having mic clicked on more than one program like skype and aol or get mega echo.

Lastly in your computer equaliser/sound manager there should be option to click echo/background noise supression somewhere depending on what is sound manager.

Hope that helps.

Judy [/QUOTE]
Old Nov 16th 2005, 6:44 am
BE Forum Addict

SuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really nice
Default Re: Skype - couple of questions....

I have also founf that Skype gives better sound, plus it allows for multi-person conversations. And then I use my websam on MSN.

SS
Old Nov 16th 2005, 7:20 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

You will get feedback if your microphone is too close to your speakers. And since you've mentioned you're using the laptop's built-in ones I'd say that they probably were. A free-standing microphone as mentioned above will certainly help, or you could just use a pair of headphones for the audio and continue using the laptop's built-in mic.

With regard to the video/audio. People use both because Skype is the best voice-over-ip program - near CD quality even on low bandwidth connections. However they've only recently started tinkering with video, whereas Microsoft have included webcam facilities in Messenger for some time and is appreciably better. Hopefully Skype will catch-up to Messenger in terms of video and we can all use just the one program, until then it's a fairly simple task to run both at the same time.
Old Nov 16th 2005, 7:38 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Also hate the thought of sitting with microphone hanging on head and headphones on much prefer seperate freestanding mic... .
Old Nov 17th 2005, 6:10 am
Forum Regular

Judes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really nice

Thanks for your replies, think we'll invest in a free-standing mic. I'll let you know if I have anymore questions !!

Judy