Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Skye Victoria what's it like

Skye Victoria what's it like

Old Feb 27th 2005, 4:01 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Skye Victoria what's it like

We've been looking on the net at real estate around Frankston and Skye seems to be quite cheap. Any reason?
Old Feb 27th 2005, 9:49 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Skye Victoria what's it like

Originally Posted by fraser
We've been looking on the net at real estate around Frankston and Skye seems to be quite cheap. Any reason?
Anyone?
Old Feb 27th 2005, 9:55 pm
Just Joined

waustralish is on a distinguished road

Anyone?
Hi Fraser i just PM you about Frankston
Old Feb 28th 2005, 1:59 pm
An Australian Citizen !!

Jimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to behold

Anyone?
Hello Fraser

........ just a piece of irrelevant info for you: our grand-daughter (born in Manly Vale) is called Skye Victoria !!

Skye was her mother's favourite place (before Australia) and Victoria was the name of the road they used to live in, so she would never get lost.

There - told you it was irrelevant.

Jim
Old Feb 28th 2005, 2:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

They are both 41 kms from the Melbourne GPO. An over-generalisation I know but lower income earners are often forced this far out to find affordable property. My brother and his family live in Frankston and it has a good side and a not so good side - they are in the former. They chose there because my brother's lecturing job involved working at Monash main campus and Frankston campus and his wife's family comes from Wonthaggi so it was central and handy for their needs, on the beach, has good schools and affordable property. He wouldn't have chosen Frankston otherwise I don't think.

OzTennis
Old Feb 28th 2005, 2:54 pm
wombat42

If l was going to live in outer Melbourne, theres fantastic scenic places in the Dangenong ranges on the eastern side of Melbourne, or Geelong on the West
side of Melbourne which is on the surf coast and some of the best beaches in OZ. l would'nt live in skye or frankston.

Old Feb 28th 2005, 3:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

sackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by wombat42
l would'nt live in skye or frankston.
Look, fraser, if wombat, who thinks Australian sewerage smells wonderful, thinks these places are beyond the pale then that's good enough for me. Forget any ideas of moving there.
Old Feb 28th 2005, 3:36 pm

Cheers for your replys. I've been to Melbourne 3 times but don't know it that well our freinds live in Elwood which is way beyond our means. We'll be coming out with about 250-300,000 dollars and don't want to much of a mortgage as we
have 2 children under 4. I'm a plumber and will have to get my license ect before I can start work so we don't want to bite of more than we can chew and are trying to be sensible and start of with hardly any mortgage. So we're looking at areas that are reasonably near to the beach and family orientated obviously we can't afford to be too picky but it's just to start with and we can always move to some where better in a couple of years when we know exactly what we can afford . We were also looking at Geelong as our freinds parents live in Leopold. I suppose it's all part of the adventure but it's a big place to pick from
Old Feb 28th 2005, 7:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Neil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really nice

An Englishwoman working in Mount Eliza and here for 12 years, recommended Chelsea as a good place to live to me yesterday.

Chelsea is nearer the CBD than Frankston and Skye and its also nearer the beach.
Old Feb 28th 2005, 7:55 pm
Love it here!

SalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Neil S
An Englishwoman working in Mount Eliza and here for 12 years, recommended Chelsea as a good place to live to me yesterday.

Chelsea is nearer the CBD than Frankston and Skye and its also nearer the beach.
Hi
What's Mornington like for schools, stuff for kids/teenagers, etc?
Old Feb 28th 2005, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by Neil S

That would be ironic I hate chelsea the team with a passion
Old Feb 28th 2005, 9:29 pm

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Hi Fraser

We live about 15 mins south of Frankston. As others have said it is a very mixed area, considered rough in parts though coming from London it seems reasonably OK to me. The centre is unattractive, but has a good variety of shops. There have been a lot of improvements recently, revamped pier and foreshore, new shopping complex and cinemas etc. South Frankston is generally considered the posh bit. Lots of newer housing out towards Karringal. Although the town itself is unattractive it is close to so many other places that you wouldn't be short of stuff to do.

SalSa

Not sure about the quality of education in Mornington, but it has at least one secondary college. I feel children/teenagers are better catered for in Oz and there are plenty of sporting activities, social clubs, skate parks, nature based activities etc available. Mornington has lovely beaches, and a lively cafe culture. There is a small cinema & fabulous library, and I think it would be a good spot for teenagers (I only have little kids though, so it might be worth asking others). You could try asking on Britvics as there are lots of people from the area. http://s7.invisionfree.com/BritVics/index.php?act=idx

Regards Kirsty

Last edited by kirsty&al; Feb 28th 2005 at 10:01 pm.
Old Feb 28th 2005, 9:41 pm

[QUOTE=kirsty&al]Hi Fraser

We live about 15 mins south of Frankston. As others have said it is a very mixed area, considered rough in parts though coming from London it seems reasonably OK to me. The centre is unattractive, but has a good variety of shops. There have been a lot of improvements recently, revamped peir and foreshore, new shopping complex and cinemas etc. South Frankston is generally considered the posh bit. Lots of newer housing out towards Karringal. Although the town itself is unattractive it is close to so many other places that you wouldn't be short of stuff to do.

Cheers Kirsty. We're also from london and I'm sure It can't be as bad as anything here. we're atracted to it because we can get a decent size house with our money and because of the location near to mornington.With 2 littleuns we just want a nice house and some nice outdoor space nearby
Old Feb 28th 2005, 10:11 pm

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Cheers Kirsty. We're also from london and I'm sure It can't be as bad as anything here. we're atracted to it because we can get a decent size house with our money and because of the location near to mornington.With 2 littleuns we just want a nice house and some nice outdoor space nearby
Hello,

If you don't need to work in the CBD then you could look further out from the centre of Frankston For example, Lang Warren and Somerville have large plots for smaller amounts and are only 15 mins by car from Frankston although they are about 15-30 minutes from the beaches (depending on which beaches you want to go to).

Regards
Alistair
Old Mar 1st 2005, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by kirsty&al
Hello,

If you don't need to work in the CBD then you could look further out from the centre of Frankston For example, Lang Warren and Somerville have large plots for smaller amounts and are only 15 mins by car from Frankston although they are about 15-30 minutes from the beaches (depending on which beaches you want to go to).

Regards
Alistair

Cheers Alistair, will take your advice on board so may decisions to make it's hard to know where to start. Guess we'll just have to get as much information as possible and spend a few weeks touring when we arrive.

Thanks again Fraser

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.