Skycots

Old Jul 14th 2006, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

Location: UK to Crete, Back to UK and moved to Perth in March 2006 - yippee! Loving it!!!
adenray has much to be proud ofadenray has much to be proud ofadenray has much to be proud ofadenray has much to be proud ofadenray has much to be proud ofadenray has much to be proud ofadenray has much to be proud ofadenray has much to be proud ofadenray has much to be proud ofadenray has much to be proud ofadenray has much to be proud of
Default Skycots

Can anyone help with this one please.

My son. daughter-in-law and grandson will be coming over to visit from the UK either in Oct, Nov or Dec this year. Our grandson will be one tomorrow and we really need to know what the age/weight restrictions are regarding skycots. He will be either 15, 16 or 17 months old, is this too big/too old. We realise that if he is not allocated a skycot then he will have to sit on their laps for the duration of the flight and they will not be guaranteed seating with extra leg room.

Thanks in anticipation.

Lorraine
Old Jul 14th 2006, 11:22 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Skycots

Originally Posted by adenray

My son. daughter-in-law and grandson will be coming over to visit from the UK either in Oct, Nov or Dec this year. Our grandson will be one tomorrow and we really need to know what the age/weight restrictions are regarding skycots. He will be either 15, 16 or 17 months old, is this too big/too old. We realise that if he is not allocated a skycot then he will have to sit on their laps for the duration of the flight and they will not be guaranteed seating with extra leg room.

Thanks in anticipation.

Lorraine
Our daughter was to big at 7 months so think 15 is going to be also too big.
Old Jul 14th 2006, 11:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Iwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by thebears
Our daughter was to big at 7 months so think 15 is going to be also too big.
Same here at 9 months. I think weight limit was 15kg but my little one was 9.5kg and too long.

However, it is still worth booking a sky cot as:
a. Seats have more legroom so OK if child sits on lap;
b. Really useful to have somewhere child can sit to eat/play without needing to be on lap.
c. Can be used for quick nappy/clothes change as really awkward in the loos.

It's worth booking it really early as there are only about 6 per flight!

Just my two-penneth!
Old Jul 14th 2006, 11:28 am
tin
Brisbane bound

tin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of light

Hi there
It depends on the airline - on Malaysian they're allowed a sky cot until they're 15kg (my 1 year old daughter is 9kg) - but only practical if they're short! However, you can always ask for a skycot and bulkhead seats, then simply enjoy the extra legroom if the baby doesn't fit! Some airlines will only skycots up to 6 months, so worth checking before you book.
Old Jul 14th 2006, 11:31 am
Forum Regular

Location: UK to Crete, Back to UK and moved to Perth in March 2006 - yippee! Loving it!!!
adenray has much to be proud ofadenray has much to be proud ofadenray has much to be proud ofadenray has much to be proud ofadenray has much to be proud ofadenray has much to be proud ofadenray has much to be proud ofadenray has much to be proud ofadenray has much to be proud ofadenray has much to be proud ofadenray has much to be proud of

Many thanks to all.

Originally Posted by tin
Hi there
It depends on the airline - on Malaysian they're allowed a sky cot until they're 15kg (my 1 year old daughter is 9kg) - but only practical if they're short! However, you can always ask for a skycot and bulkhead seats, then simply enjoy the extra legroom if the baby doesn't fit! Some airlines will only skycots up to 6 months, so worth checking before you book.
Old Jul 14th 2006, 11:33 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

my daughter was 18 months old when we returned from Canada to England. The prospect of 9 hours on a flight with her on my lap let alone 17 was enough to make me pay for a seat for her, call the airline, Air Canada gave me a vastly reduced fare for her. I took her car seat on board and strapped that in and then strapped her in to the car seat. I had no problems at all and it was stress free for all of us.
Old Jul 14th 2006, 2:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Paul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to all

Our daughter was too big at 17 months but we still booked the bulkhead seats, this backfired on us as our older daughter who was 3 at the time could not put the arm rest up and stretch out so ended up sleeping badly too which just made it all that more stressful!

Originally Posted by Iwannabethere
Same here at 9 months. I think weight limit was 15kg but my little one was 9.5kg and too long.

b. Really useful to have somewhere child can sit to eat/play without needing to be on lap.

Just my two-penneth!
Old Jul 14th 2006, 6:06 pm
Emily, Luke and Libby

lewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud of

it hard with a sky cot as our 18 month old was to big and the airline would not let her sleep on the floor for safty .
as the arm rests do not lift up coz tv and table are in them she could not lay across us so i was up all the time walking around and git not get any sleep.

so get other seats then the kids can sleep across you.
Old Jul 14th 2006, 9:34 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Iwannabethere

Just my two-penneth!
Good points
Old Jul 14th 2006, 9:35 pm
Melbourne Australia

Originally Posted by lewandkate
it hard with a sky cot as our 18 month old was to big and the airline would not let her sleep on the floor for safty .
as the arm rests do not lift up coz tv and table are in them she could not lay across us so i was up all the time walking around and git not get any sleep.

so get other seats then the kids can sleep across you.
Its just the seats at the bulk head that dont fold down. The seats behind do.
Old Jul 14th 2006, 10:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

thomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to behold

the last time we flew to aus - singapore airlines at the time, my daughter was 14 months at the time. she was average size, of normal length and weight. we had a sky cot and she fitted into from head to toe, just and no more. I took a grobag with me and put her in it and zipped it up, then popped her inside sky cot, very secure, but not much room to move, the longest she slept was about 4 -5 hours and a seperate wee sleep of about an hour and another of about 45 mins ,not much but enough time for my hubby to get shut eye, as she was glued to his shoulder the rest of the 25 or so hours.

thanks sj
Old Jul 15th 2006, 12:57 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

when I was looking into this last year and this was some of the info from websites I found:

Virgin
We're happy to have infants fly with us and can provide:
• Skycots for babies aged up to 12 months.
• Infant Care Chair for infants aged between 6 and 36 months.
• Passengers who require use of an Infant Care Chair will have to purchase a seat at the applicable child fare
• Some of our toilets are fitted with changing facilities, and although we do carry limited spare baby items such as bottles, we would advise you to bring your own.
• Babies are not allowed to travel on the upper deck unless by prior arrangement.

Emirates
• So that your little ones can also enjoy a superb level of comfort, we provide baby bassinets and the toilets are fitted with changing tables.
For infants, we have bassinets on board all our aircraft. The dimensions of the bassinet in inches are, length 29.52, width 13.3, depth 6.5. The length and width can be reduced by 1.5 inches. There is a weight limit of 11kgs and the bassinet is for infants up to two years old only.
Any purpose built infant car seat can be carried in board and secured to a passenger seat throughout the flight. The infant must be held during take off and landing, and may only occupy the car seat during the normal cruise stage of the flight. This is applicable to infants between 6 and 36 months.

Malaysian
give 10kg for an infant ticket. 20kg for a child seat (same as adult).

Singapore Airlines
Child Car Seat
You may use approved car seats onboard for your child. The seat must be able to be secured onto the aircraft passenger seat by means of the aircraft safety belt and must conform to all applicable safety standards certified for use in aircraft. Your child should be seated in the car seat during takeoff, landing, turbulence, or anytime the fasten seat belt sign is illuminated.
Bassinets
While a limited number of bassinets are available onboard on a first-come, first-served basis, we recommend you request a bassinet upon booking to assure easy travel with your infants.
The dimensions of the bassinets are 768 L x 298 W x 158 H (mm). Bassinets can support a maximum weight of 14kg.
Meals/Amenities
Children's meals are available on all flights except those between Singapore and Kuala Lumpur. Requests for these meals should be made at the time of booking. Diapers, disposable bibs, feeding bottles, and baby wipes are also available on board

20 kg * Baggage exceeding the 20 kg limit will be assessed an additional charge. 10 kg
In addition a fully collapsible stroller or carry cot may be checked in without charge.

Infants are entitled to 10 kg (22 lb) of checked baggage. In addition, a fully collapsible stroller or pushchair, carrycot, and infant food may be checked without charge

Economy Class (Y)
• One piece of in-cabin baggage
• Total weight not to exceed 7 kg (15 lb) per piece
• Maximum size not to exceed 115 cm (45 in) - sum of the height, width, and depth of the bag

In addition to the free baggage allowance, the following items may be carried in the aircraft cabin, free of charge:
1. A lady's handbag, pocketbook, or purse
2. An overcoat, wrap, or blanket
3. A fully collapsible wheelchair and/or a pair of crutches, provided that the passenger is dependent upon them
4. A reasonable amount of reading material
5. Infant food for consumption in flight and an infant carrying basket*, when the infant is travelling
6. An umbrella or walking stick
7. A small camera and/or a pair of binoculars

*When possible, infant carrying baskets should be carried in the aircraft's cargo compartment.
There is a weight restriction on the carriage of infant supplies, as follows:
• When a carrycot is used, the total weight of napkins, feeding bottles, food, and the carrycot should not exceed 12 kg (26 lb).
• When a carrycot is not used, the total weight of napkins, feeding bottles, and food should not exceed 6 kg (13 lb).
Two pieces, of baggage are allowed. The total dimension (length + width + height) of both pieces must not exceed 273 cm (107 in) and the outside linear dimensions of each bag must not exceed 158 cm (62 in.) The weight of each piece is limited to 32 kg. Infants are entitled to one piece. In addition a fully collapsible stroller or carry cot may be checked in without charge.
Old Jul 15th 2006, 1:04 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

We went with Singapore airline as this gave one of the biggest skycots (Length & weight).
We had quiet flight on the 1st leg having all 4 seats in the middle, plus I got 3 more seats to lie fully down.
2nd leg was packed and we were put in the 3 seats at side with stranger in isle seat - this was a pain as it was impossible for me to get from window seat out without OH & stranger getting out of their seat or takings bubs out of skycot & taking it off the bulkhead.

Thus I would suggest to try for the middle seats
Old Jul 15th 2006, 2:07 am
Forum Regular

What a blast of information - once again thank you so much for all your help. I'll now have to pin my son to a date so that we can get on with booking the flights.

Thank you.

Lorraine
Old Jul 15th 2006, 4:35 am
Love Tiffany's

Welshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by adenray

Thanks in anticipation.

Lorraine
we flew to oz with ours when he was 11 months and he was way too big for those skycots. We ended up with him on our laps in the middle row, with no extra leg room either. Luckily for us he slept 15 of the 22 hours!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.