Wikiposts

Sky TV and BBC

Old Sep 5th 2007, 9:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sky TV and BBC

Howdy, anyone know of a way to get sky tv in australia? or bbc radio for that matter.

I have had a look at foxtel but it seems expensive and the channel choices are poor, I miss my Sky TV ! anyone got know a way to get it?

I have listened to BBC radio on the net but would like it out and about, I heard in the USA they are reboradcast by sirrus radio (not sure on spelling) anyone know of something similer in aus?
Old Sep 5th 2007, 10:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

lolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Sky TV and BBC

hi,
saw a web link once saying about getting satellite tv on your pc?
so just did another search on google [satellite pc tv] and it came up will quite alot of links.
the one i'd seen before was secretsatellite.com (cant vouch for it though!)

think you have to pay to register & can then watch what u want?

not sure if its any good - would be interested to know if any one else has looked into it.

keep us updated
lisa

ps, i know you can watch channel 4 from your computer as i have (presume it would work in oz too). Go to www.channel4.com/4od - (can vouch for this) alot of programmes are free, some you pay a small price. (watched a big brother i missed - how sad )

Last edited by lolylew; Sep 5th 2007 at 11:06 pm.
Old Sep 5th 2007, 10:32 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave99
Howdy, anyone know of a way to get sky tv in australia? or bbc radio for that matter.
You can listen to BBC Radio through your computer (but not the football matches on Five Live - there's been a thread on this).

As for Sky TV, only way is with a slingbox (google for it).

Gina
Old Sep 5th 2007, 11:09 pm
HCJ
Forum Regular

HCJ is a jewel in the roughHCJ is a jewel in the roughHCJ is a jewel in the roughHCJ is a jewel in the rough

I have a Slingbox and Sky decoder stashed in my cousin's loft in the UK and connected to one of the spare outputs on his dish. I then access it over the Internet from our apartment on the Gold Coast. It works fine most of the time but we have 8Mb ADSL on both ends, I'm not sure how good it would be on narrower bandwidths. I've also got the Slingmedia software for Windows Mobile so I can watch Sky Sports on my phone if I can be bothered.

It's OK for occasional use but placeshifting technology is not quite there to make it your main and only source of TV in my opinion.
Old Sep 6th 2007, 11:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replys, unfortunately for channel 4 you have to be in the UK to access it.
I have noticed a lot of USA channels also offering free content.....but you need to be in the USA. They lock it down based on IP address.

The slingbox idea is good but a bit of a pain, going to need a great connection at both ends, plus its going to eat up the UK persons bandwidth when in use.

So the questions still open really, anyone know of a company that provides sky, english tv and possibly radio services to australia?

cheers
Old Sep 7th 2007, 12:50 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replys, unfortunately for channel 4 you have to be in the UK to access it.
I have noticed a lot of USA channels also offering free content.....but you need to be in the USA. They lock it down based on IP address.

The slingbox idea is good but a bit of a pain, going to need a great connection at both ends, plus its going to eat up the UK persons bandwidth when in use.

So the questions still open really, anyone know of a company that provides sky, english tv and possibly radio services to australia?

cheers
just make sure you get a great ISP, good download limits - I have 60GB monthly and download from uknova and thebox. I get all the UKTV I can muster.
Old Sep 7th 2007, 12:56 am
BE Enthusiast

scotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to all

For the radio, I'm pretty sure the only place you can get BBC radio is on the interweb.

For the TV, I would second dowloading it and getting a DVD rewriter, so you can put it onto disk, and then watch on your regular TV. Unless you don't mind watching it on your PC?

Also I think for the slingbox, you would probably have to fork out for a seperate connection to the person whose house it's in. Wouldn't really be fair to use theirs really.

But really, how much TV are you going to watch?
Old Sep 7th 2007, 3:01 am
BE Enthusiast

rocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to behold

Try this tvstreaming site. http://www.sopcast.com/
Old Sep 7th 2007, 3:29 am
Forum Regular

TELLYADDICT1 is a jewel in the roughTELLYADDICT1 is a jewel in the roughTELLYADDICT1 is a jewel in the roughTELLYADDICT1 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by HCJ
I have a Slingbox and Sky decoder stashed in my cousin's loft in the UK and connected to one of the spare outputs on his dish. I then access it over the Internet from our apartment on the Gold Coast. It works fine most of the time but we have 8Mb ADSL on both ends, I'm not sure how good it would be on narrower bandwidths. I've also got the Slingmedia software for Windows Mobile so I can watch Sky Sports on my phone if I can be bothered.
I have to say that I am incredibly impressed!
TA
Old Sep 7th 2007, 5:04 am
HCJ
Forum Regular

HCJ is a jewel in the roughHCJ is a jewel in the roughHCJ is a jewel in the roughHCJ is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by scotlandtooz
Also I think for the slingbox, you would probably have to fork out for a seperate connection to the person whose house it's in. Wouldn't really be fair to use theirs really.
Yes, you do need another Sky box and subscription otherwise my cousin's choice of viewing would be dictated by me over the Internet from Australia. I just kept my UK Sky subscription going and moved the box into my cousin's loft.
Old Sep 7th 2007, 5:35 pm
Now a Mummy!

SonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud of

cheers
Don't take this the wrong way but Why???
Old Sep 7th 2007, 7:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SonicBird
Don't take this the wrong way but Why???

The reason why is because australian TV is crap, the adverts are long and placed in strange spots. For instance you are nearing the end of a progam lets say theres 8minutes left, rather than letting you watch it to the end they will show you 6-7 minutes then go to adverts, you then come back from adverts for a minute of program and then credits. What the hell is that all about !!. That gets so annoying and spoils the end and wrap up of most programs.

Or even more annoying, your getting into a program it then goes to adverts and they put in a news update. I dont want a news update or to know the weather I want to carry on watching the freaking program I was just getting into !

As for foxtel the channels are pretty limited and dont seem to have as good programming as sky and the uk terrestrial channels.

There must be a way of buying the satellite equipment and tracking the sky satellites.

I am hoping someone out there knows a way,

Thanks for the http://www.sopcast.com/ suggestion but it seems only to have some weird arabic and odd channels.
Old Sep 7th 2007, 9:39 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

There must be a way of buying the satellite equipment and tracking the sky satellites.

I am hoping someone out there knows a way,
Trust me, if there was a way it would be on the forum in many places, and you'd have found it by now - its one of the most-asked questions, and you're not the only one who'd love an answer
Old Sep 7th 2007, 10:14 pm
Forum Regular

Halo has a spectacular aura aboutHalo has a spectacular aura aboutHalo has a spectacular aura about

The satellites are in geo-stationary orbit - ie always over the UK - so thats a no go from Australia. You could do it from say Spain, but not from the Southern Hemisphere.

I'm still in the UK. The terrestial channels all have programme downloads from their websites now (bbc i-player, 4 on demand etc.). To get these in Oz you would only need (I believe, I'm not a techy so someone could fill in the details) to mask your ip address or to use a proxy server to fool the site that you are still in the UK, or in the US if you are looking to download US programmes. Sky Anytime is available too, but requires a Sky subscription.

Good luck.

Last edited by Halo; Sep 7th 2007 at 11:13 pm.
Old Sep 7th 2007, 10:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond repute

Have you been to www.uknova.com??

I know there have been several forums on here about that. I use it all the time to download the shows I miss. We can then watch them whenever we want. They also record some radio broadcasts (my dad loved that i could get the archers for him when he came for a visit)

Check it out and see if it does the trick
You do have to sign up - It'sfree but they have a limited number of memberships so sometime you have to wait to get a log on.

Here's the schedule ( again you might have to ave a log on for it)
http://www.uknova.com/wsgi/schedule

Oh and there are never any adds! People record these shows on their sky and the ads are edited out! heaven!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.