British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   sky cot for a 14 month old baby? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/sky-cot-14-month-old-baby-507292/)

norain Jan 18th 2008 7:55 pm

sky cot for a 14 month old baby?

Hello everyone,

We are planning to move to Perth mid April (if the visas are ready by then - fingers crossed) and our daughter will be 14 months by then...

We are just wondering what seats and which airlines are best??

Our options are:

1: book 2 economy seats and get a baby sky cot (if she still fits into one at 14 months???) - our lo is quite skinny but long

2: book 3 economy seats and take the Maxi Cosi car seat on board and she can sleep in that

3: book 2 business class seats (obviously the pricier option)

My husband is keen on business class seats and is happy to pay extra - but I just keep thinking if she sleeps she'll sleep in economy just fine, too. On the other hand - if she is a little terror - do business class seats really make everything so much better?

Thanks for any advice!

Geelong Gent Jan 18th 2008 8:26 pm

Re: sky cot for a 14 month old baby?

Originally Posted by norain (Post 5807116)
Hello everyone,

We are planning to move to Perth mid April (if the visas are ready by then - fingers crossed) and our daughter will be 14 months by then...

Our options are:

1: book 2 economy seats and get a baby sky cot (if she still fits into one at 14 months???) - our lo is quite skinny but long

2: book 3 economy seats and take the Maxi Cosi car seat on board and she can sleep in that

My husband is keen on business class seats and is happy to pay extra - but I just keep thinking if she sleeps she'll sleep in economy just fine, too. On the other hand - if she is a little terror - do business class seats really make everything so much better?

Thanks for any advice!

I think the sky cot option will not work - our daughter was too long at 6 months.

Business class is more conjucieve for sleeping - and more comfortable when travelling through the airport. But at the end of the day if she is a good traveller/sleeper she will do fine in either.

(A Comfortable mum = calm child:sneaky:)

GaryKristensen Jan 18th 2008 8:30 pm

Speak to the airlines to see what they do and what is acceptable to them. No point second guessing on here, you have to have it from the horses mouth, so to speak.

dave7370 Jan 18th 2008 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent (Post 5807243)
I think the sky cot option will not work - our daughter was too long at 6 months.

Which airline was that with?

alipally Jan 18th 2008 9:13 pm

Hmmmm...
Sky cots, it's been a while since our 15 yr old used one, but I doubt they've gotten any bigger... after around 4 months they're a waste of time effort and energy! They're only really suitable for baby babies!
Take the business class option, everyone will be happier and whilst we were on our way to Brissie, the air hostesses were happy to entertain fractious babies, walk them around the cabin and entertain them and get them off to sleep too... I witnessed many happy babies and relieved parents on the Emirates flight we took!

I hope that this helps a bit!

Ali x

dave7370 Jan 18th 2008 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by alipally (Post 5807474)
Hmmmm...
Sky cots, it's been a while since our 15 yr old used one, but I doubt they've gotten any bigger... after around 4 months they're a waste of time effort and energy! They're only really suitable for baby babies!
Take the business class option, everyone will be happier and whilst we were on our way to Brissie, the air hostesses were happy to entertain fractious babies, walk them around the cabin and entertain them and get them off to sleep too... I witnessed many happy babies and relieved parents on the Emirates flight we took!

I hope that this helps a bit!

Ali x

Oh dear!:(

The cot from Singapore Airlines is 75cm x 30cm x 30cm, not exactly massive and our lad is 77cm tall already!

It's a good job he's a heavy / dead to the world sleeper. I think we'll probably get him to nod off in our arms...... then wedge him the cot.:rofl:

At least he won't roll over and fall out!:D

norain Jan 18th 2008 9:46 pm

I thought that a sky cot might be a bit small at 14 months...

I think it will be business class for us.

We were thinking about Thai air - they do a really good offer for business at the moment.

My baby is usually a good sleeper, but she lover her cot and does not like to sleep on me. Business seats might just be big enough for her to sleep next to me...

paulhill Jan 18th 2008 9:48 pm

Hello everyone,

Our options are:

Thanks for any advice!

Just remember that if you book Business Class you will have to pay full price for your daughter as she will have to have her own seat. Im sure that you are not allowed to have children on your knee in Business and First Class.

I would try and book "bulk head" seats so that you can have the sky cot if there is one available.

northernbird Jan 18th 2008 10:20 pm

Hello everyone,

Our options are:

Thanks for any advice!

I think the only option open to you is 2. 14 months is too old for a sky cot. We booked an economy seat and took our car seat and it worked well.

snow-white Jan 18th 2008 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by northernbird (Post 5807844)
I think the only option open to you is 2. 14 months is too old for a sky cot. We booked an economy seat and took our car seat and it worked well.

we flew with singapore me hubby and 6 kids who had never been on plane before we went economy, we asked about taking car seat but we had to choose between that and the travel cot they wouldnt let us take two foldaway buggies,a car seat and the travel cot with our allowance plus we couldnt carry it all between the changeovers your basically left with it all well the prams if you want them off the plane and car seats and hand luggage to carry. anyway the 16 month old screamed his head off for 10 hours climbed out the seat constantly and i had to deal with him by myself. economy was fine but it would have been better to bring the car seat on the plane, that way at least he would have settled down knowing he couldnt get out lol. anyway thank god next plane for 10 hours he slept all the way obviously worn out from crying so much . we were also given advice that we woulnt be able to take a car seat onto the actual plane from our agents who booked as first flight was ba? this info was not correct. they said we could chance it and be left whith it at airport hmmmmm
good luck with whatever you choose we certainly couldnt afford business class! with 6 of them in to.

Geelong Gent Jan 18th 2008 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by dave7370 (Post 5807321)
Which airline was that with?

Singapore

Geelong Gent Jan 18th 2008 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by paulhill (Post 5807675)
Just remember that if you book Business Class you will have to pay full price for your daughter as she will have to have her own seat. Im sure that you are not allowed to have children on your knee in Business and First Class.

I would try and book "bulk head" seats so that you can have the sky cot if there is one available.

They can travel on your lap. The additional lap belts are supplied.

You get a small discount on the full price - however its on "the" price so if you have airmiles or are getting a special rate it is often the child who works out more expensive.

paulhill Jan 18th 2008 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent (Post 5808108)
They can travel on your lap. The additional lap belts are supplied.

You get a small discount on the full price - however its on "the" price so if you have airmiles or are getting a special rate it is often the child who works out more expensive.

Are you sure they can travel on your lap in Business Class?

Vim Fuego Jan 18th 2008 11:59 pm

Hello everyone,

Our options are:

Thanks for any advice!

We flew Singapore with our (quite tall, actually) 15 month old a couple of years ago ... we wanted bulkhead seats and a skycot for all legs but FlightCentre managed to balls-up the booking (wouldn't trust them to book a taxi now).

So, we ended up with a cot from BNE to Singapore and in two economy centre seats from Singapore to London.

The skycot was obviously better (and very comfortable/manageable for us) ... but better than Business Class? Can't comment.

Personally I wouldn't see that Business Class would make that much difference for the extra dosh but if you can afford it then why not?

I_Will_Freckle Jan 19th 2008 12:38 am

We travelled economy with Emirates when my son was 3 years old. When it was time for him to sleep he just curled up into a ball and fell asleep in his own seat and slept for about 9 hours.
Last year we flew across with Singapore and he was 4. By now too big to curl up in his own seat and his head was on my lap and his feet on DH's. Very uncomfortable for me and DH although the littley slept just fine.

My advice: Get 3 economy seats and use the cash you save to splurge on a lavish hotel for when you arrive so that you can recover in style. You'll still be quids in.