Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

sky, chippy, anyone, the building industry

sky, chippy, anyone, the building industry

Old Nov 28th 2003, 4:01 am
Forum Regular

DaisyNZ is on a distinguished road
Default sky, chippy, anyone, the building industry

After reading skys story re: hubby's job, I was wondering how bad the building industry is back there in the UK. When we go back there for a year in 2 years time my hubby will be looking for building work (he's a NZ carpenter, builds NZ style houses), is it not a good prospect? It doesn't have to be the perfect job, just to get us by while we visit people and places for a year. by the way, we are heading north.

Just wondering.....
Old Nov 28th 2003, 6:11 am
Have only gone and GOT IT

Bed Of Roses is a jewel in the roughBed Of Roses is a jewel in the roughBed Of Roses is a jewel in the roughBed Of Roses is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: sky, chippy, anyone, the building industry

Originally posted by DaisyNZ
After reading skys story re: hubby's job, I was wondering how bad the building industry is back there in the UK. When we go back there for a year in 2 years time my hubby will be looking for building work (he's a NZ carpenter, builds NZ style houses), is it not a good prospect? It doesn't have to be the perfect job, just to get us by while we visit people and places for a year. by the way, we are heading north.

Just wondering.....
Hi DaisyNZ,

Cant speek for sure about North of Watford, but down in Lundin a skilled Carpenter is like trying to find Hens teeth.

Good luck to you both by the time i get my PR visa we could wave at each other as our planes pass.
Old Nov 28th 2003, 8:03 am
troood1

Talking Re: sky, chippy, anyone, the building industry

Originally posted by DaisyNZ

Just wondering.....

Hi Daisy - my other half is a Carpenter and builds houses etc. We live in Nottingham and there is more work than he can cope with in the Midlands. Your hubby will have no trouble at all either working for other companies or going self employed. Just hope it's as good for us when we get to Oz - then I can be a beach bum!!

Old Nov 28th 2003, 8:24 am
Forum Regular

DaisyNZ is on a distinguished road

well, that sounds hopeful. Hey troood, it's exactly the same here in NZ, they can't find enough carpenters, so if you change your mind and choose to live in Paradise instead of Oz (ha ha).......... if I chose to spend my days on the beach with my boys, it's certainly one of the choices I have!!! good job being a beach bum is free though, building doesn't exactly make you rich, but who needs lots of money right? we have everything we need. praps we could do a house, car and job swap for a year !?!......
Old Nov 28th 2003, 12:40 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

You could have swapped with us wish you'd mentioned earlier . sorry only just seen your post, there is tons of work up here in the north for anyone in the construction industry who is on the tools, my hubby is a site manager and cant get (should say couldnt get seen as he's unemployed now ) a decent joiner for love or money. So I wouldnt worry about that just seems they dont need the managers thats all. Your hubby could go self employed and he would get lots of work which if we werent emmigrating at the end of Jan to NZ is exactly what my hubby would have done.
Xmas is always a dodgy time in the construction industry but after that I wouldnt worry
Old Nov 28th 2003, 5:57 pm
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light

Hiya,
Andrew my better half is a carpenter and joiner. He currently works 12 hour days 7 days a week. Work is pretty good around South Wales, so much so he can take the time off when I'm on school holidays and still walk straight back into a job. Money not so good in Wales though, plenty of jobs @ £10 an hour, £12 plus a bit harder to find.
Hope this helps
Sarah
Old Nov 28th 2003, 7:18 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by teach
Hiya,
Andrew my better half is a carpenter and joiner. He currently works 12 hour days 7 days a week. Work is pretty good around South Wales, so much so he can take the time off when I'm on school holidays and still walk straight back into a job. Money not so good in Wales though, plenty of jobs @ £10 an hour, £12 plus a bit harder to find.
Hope this helps
Sarah
Yep I can back that rate up, hubby had trouble enticing joiners to work for his company for £12 an hour, they usually ask for more now in Leeds