Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Skin cancer checks

Skin cancer checks

Old Aug 22nd 2008, 4:32 am
k76
Forum Regular

k76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nice
Default Skin cancer checks

I wasn't aware of this at first, but you can actually get free screenings for skin cancer here in Australia. Definitely worth doing for piece of mind. They actually removed one of my moles and had it tested, very professional. Not the most fun waiting for the result, but thankfully no drama.

I will definitely go once a year for a checkup in the future, and I think everyone with half a brain should do the same!
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 4:47 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Skin cancer checks

Originally Posted by k76
I wasn't aware of this at first, but you can actually get free screenings for skin cancer here in Australia. Definitely worth doing for piece of mind. They actually removed one of my moles and had it tested, very professional. Not the most fun waiting for the result, but thankfully no drama.

I will definitely go once a year for a checkup in the future, and I think everyone with half a brain should do the same!
Completely agree - it's absolutely essential, even if you're not particularly fair skinned.

I lost someone very close to melanoma and it is a very, very unpleasant way to go, and yet so easily cured if detected early.
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 5:25 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by k76

so its a special service just for australians then

steve`o last seen running a way laughin
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 5:29 am
k76
Forum Regular

k76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nice

Wonder why they let me in???
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 6:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by k76

I wonder if us 457's can get it in on our reciprical agreement? Did the clinic bulk bill or did you have to claim it back through Medicare?
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 6:11 am
k76
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger
I wonder if us 457's can get it in on our reciprical agreement? Did the clinic bulk bill or did you have to claim it back through Medicare?
They bulk billed. I just showed my medicare card and filled out a form, and that was it. I have no idea about if it works with 457, sorry. In any case it probably won't cost much as it was very quick. If they decide to send something away to the lab for analysis it probably gets more expensive.
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 9:03 am
Forum Regular

Daka is an unknown quantity at this point

I've had a check done for free at a bulk billing clinic and we are on a 457.
Need to get the other half to go too now.
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 12:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by k76

That sounds like a good idea.

I am very fair along with my kids. Hubby has been out in the son way too much over the years without sun protection but don't slip slop slap now.

Do you know anywhere around Mandurah / Rockingham Wa that offers these sort of clinics.

Thanks

Poppet
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 2:01 pm
Just Joined

wooley is an unknown quantity at this point

i just had a check done and have to have the mole removed which is scary,so weird to think that if we never came to oz i never would have known until whenever???!!!!!!
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

ShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really nice

This is really good news. I know the Australians are more sun aware than we are here in blighty, probably because there's a lot more of it. Both my boys are fair haired and fair skinned. I'm very concious of it, but you can never be too sure. My grandfather died of melanoma and my sister has just been diagnosed with basal cell carcianoma (luckily she has a fab GP and the prognosis is good) so I think I'll be taking regular check-ups. Am pleased it's available.
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 4:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute

Someone once pointed out to me that in many ways, tanning-easily type skin is actually worse than fair skinned for skin cancer. The reason being that fair skinned people tend to cover up/stay out of the sun as they know they have a good chance of getting burnt, whereas me and my family have in the past just stayed out in it. Always wise to take advantage of any free screening in my opinion.
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 4:13 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Not all clinics bulk bill and many have a waiting list.

I have found a clinic in Hamilton Hill near Freo that charges about $65 for a check up and you get half back from Medicare. They have that computerised scanning equipment.

Mr PP and I have our first skin cancer checks on 1st Sept and then we are off to buy the T shirts that you can swim in that protect you from the sun - cant remember what they are called.

We put suncream on even in the winter, as someone said to me that the ozone layer doesnt grow back in the winter and that you shouldnt assume you are safe because the sky is cloudy.

Im covered in moles and really want to protect myself.
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 8:25 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Not all clinics bulk bill and many have a waiting list.

I have found a clinic in Hamilton Hill near Freo that charges about $65 for a check up and you get half back from Medicare. They have that computerised scanning equipment.

Mr PP and I have our first skin cancer checks on 1st Sept and then we are off to buy the T shirts that you can swim in that protect you from the sun - cant remember what they are called.

We put suncream on even in the winter, as someone said to me that the ozone layer doesnt grow back in the winter and that you shouldnt assume you are safe because the sky is cloudy.

Im covered in moles and really want to protect myself.
T shirts are rashes ( 50+ protection )

example
http://www.shopsafe.com.au/merchants...ash_shirts.htm

cheaper in your local shops say kmart or similar or dearer in say ripcurl ( trendy sporty shop )

Last edited by steve`o; Aug 23rd 2008 at 8:27 pm.
Old Aug 24th 2008, 4:55 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve`o
T shirts are rashes ( 50+ protection )

example
http://www.shopsafe.com.au/merchants...ash_shirts.htm

cheaper in your local shops say kmart or similar or dearer in say ripcurl ( trendy sporty shop )
Ive seen some in Ripcurl - I am going to get a couple. I shall wear board shorts and swim in those.

Dont fancy a tan so will do what I have to do to protect myself.
Old Aug 24th 2008, 5:07 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Had my 6 monthly check last week, all clear! ...

I've had sunbed treatment in the UK called PUVA and my dermo here REALLY frowns upon it, and said the treatment will make me more susceptible to skin cancer in the future! ...

Handy, what with me now living in the 'sunshine state'

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.