Skin Cancer

Old Mar 4th 2010, 9:01 pm
Just Joined

Tricky Nicky is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Skin Cancer

Been doing lots of research and there is so much differing opinion on this.

Basically though, the distinct impression I'm getting is that the issue of skin cancer for many ironically seems to take the edge off the enjoyment of the 'outdoors lifestyle' which is IMO the biggest selling point of OZ and the reason many emigrate there!

I don't want to move to the other side of the world for a healthier outdoors life only to discover that the sun and it's effects are actually more restrictive than the good old UK cold and rain.

Homest opinions and experiences welcomed . . . . .
Old Mar 4th 2010, 9:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Skin Cancer

Hi I spent 30 years in Oz all up and now live in the UK.It can not be stressed enough,you need to be very careful when out in the sun.You need to wear high factor sunblock at all times,close knit type clothing,a hat,sunglasses ect.Most people tend to head for the shade when outside.I moved to Australia in 1970 as a child.Back then there was no real awareness of skin cancer as such.No one took any precautions,we did'nt even wear hats and yes we were burnt to a scrazzle quite regularly which was extremely painful!I have a sister and brother(still in Oz)and both have had skin cancer(Brother once and sister twice).As long as you take the right precautions and look after yourself you should be ok.You'll soon get into the habit of slip slop slapping!
Old Mar 4th 2010, 9:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tricky Nicky

Basically though, the distinct impression I'm getting is that the issue of skin cancer for many ironically seems to take the edge off the enjoyment of the 'outdoors lifestyle' which is IMO the biggest selling point of OZ and the reason many emigrate there!

I don't want to move to the other side of the world for a healthier outdoors life only to discover that the sun and it's effects are actually more restrictive than the good old UK cold and rain.

My best defence is being realistic about the times of day the sun is dangerous.

When we first came here we went with the 10 - 2 hype All the sunsmart but were not aware of how early/late you needed protection.

Myself and kids have since had moles removed.

The reality is in websites like www.arpansa.gov.au

For eg, UV in summer is often at dangerous levels and extreme levels from as early as 7.30 am till about 5 pm in summer!!!! On rainy days when you think its probably not dangerous at all it can still be extreme.

I now follow the sites daily and give myself a reality check of when to avoid. And yes unfortunately its a lot of the day.
Old Mar 4th 2010, 9:36 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

If you're interested in some stats there was another thread on this subject started a couple of days ago:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=657346

I don't think you'll find any mainland Australian location that doesn't record very high to extreme UV levels for much of the day over summer. I'm sure Tasmania is probably similar.

For most British skin types I think it's something you have to be vigilant about. In Brisbane for example, I could get a bit suburnt in the time it took me to hang the washing out - but then I'm very fair skinned.

People can be quite dismissive of this subject...and say well I never do x,y or z and I'm OK. The problem with that is the damage can be done years in advance of the cancer appearing. When being assessed for risk at the skin cancer screening clinic they will ask you about levels of sun damage experienced in childhood.
Old Mar 4th 2010, 9:51 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

hmm, I think your impression is incorrect.

I can only speak from my own experiences - I enjoy being outside whenever possible, and I see many other families doing the same thing.

People in Australia, particularly Qld, are more careful when out in the sun. You will see families outside, all wearing hats, sunglasses, sunscreen. You won't see that in the UK.

In the UK on a hot sunny day, people don't sit outside in direct sunlight all day long... But Brits still manage to enjoy the great outdoors on such days.

Over here, it is no different....people don't tend to sit out in direct sunlight all day long, but they still get out and about.

In Qld in particular, it gets dark quite early in the evening (light early in the morning too). People often enjoy the outdoors early in the morning and in the late afternoon.

I think you will find that it is the insects (mossies, ants) that are more restrictive than the sunshine !

cheers
Old Mar 4th 2010, 9:57 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asprilla
In the UK on a hot sunny day, people don't sit outside in direct sunlight all day long... But Brits still manage to enjoy the great outdoors on such days.

Over here, it is no different....people don't tend to sit out in direct sunlight all day long, but they still get out and about.
...and this is also a very fair point.

I reckon, after a hot, sunny July day in the UK...and a hot, sunny January day here...you'd see more lobsters in the UK! People do generally understand better how to look after themselves.

That being said, the rate of developing skin cancers is still many times higher here.
Old Mar 4th 2010, 10:02 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
In Brisbane for example, I could get a bit suburnt in the time it took me to hang the washing out.
same here... now I wear a ridiculous looking wide brimmed hat when I'm hanging out the washing....

won't be worrying about it too much today though, its been pssing it down for nearly a week here..
Old Mar 5th 2010, 12:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

I'd had three BCCs (skin cancers) removed previous to arriving in oz . . . and those were a consequence of being brought up in the NE of England . . . never been a sun worshipper (far too pale and interesting) docs put it down to childhood exposure. You need to be sensible in the sun at sensible times . . . mid-day barbeques on the beach Xmas day ain't sensible.

Last edited by spartacus; Mar 5th 2010 at 1:44 am.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 1:20 am
Jan4kids

Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute

You can actually feel the sun 'drilling' into your skin here, where as in England is was more 'dapply' (it that actually a word? lol!)

Jan