Skin Cancer

Old Nov 18th 2007, 8:02 pm
jan
classy clipper

jan will become famous soon enoughjan will become famous soon enough
Default Skin Cancer

I was recently asked by a friend back in blighty which state had the highest incidence of skin cancer Does anyone know?
Old Nov 18th 2007, 8:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Skin Cancer

Originally Posted by jan
I was recently asked by a friend back in blighty which state had the highest incidence of skin cancer Does anyone know?
Qld has the highest prevalence, probably incidence too.

Think that Glasgow comes next!
Old Nov 18th 2007, 9:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Qld has the highest prevalence, probably incidence too.

Think that Glasgow comes next!
Don't know if this is true, but I heard that the death rate from skin cancer is now higher in the UK than in Oz due to ignorance and brits roasting abroad in the sun 2 weeks a year. (Binge tanning??) I presume folks in Oz take more safety measures and are more aware of the early signs. Anyone know if this is true??
Old Nov 18th 2007, 9:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

NikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond repute

When I was over the early 90's the slip slop slap (think it was that way around) was in full swing, and doctors surgeries were full of photos of what happends if it got ignored, so yeah, probably far more aware. Things like the lifeguards with sunscreen probably helps as well.

Brits tend more to binge as you say and avoid the sunscreen because they want the tan NOW!
Old Nov 18th 2007, 9:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

LauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really nice

Originally Posted by Fly Away
Don't know if this is true, but I heard that the death rate from skin cancer is now higher in the UK than in Oz due to ignorance and brits roasting abroad in the sun 2 weeks a year. (Binge tanning??) I presume folks in Oz take more safety measures and are more aware of the early signs. Anyone know if this is true??
I've heard the same thing.
Old Nov 18th 2007, 9:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Correct. This is what we have been taught. Cant be bothered to find the source though LOL.
Old Nov 18th 2007, 10:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Correct. This is what we have been taught. Cant be bothered to find the source though LOL.
Thanks Ozziedoc. I thought it was true, but if you can't remember where you heard something you do wonder if it's correct.

The amount of ignorance in the UK about skin cancer is frightening. I have a friend who is a Consultant Dr here in the UK and STILL doesn't put sunscreen on her kids.
Old Nov 18th 2007, 10:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

annkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud ofannkc has much to be proud of

Britain has the highest amount of skin cancer cases in the world due to sun binging. Oz is second. 10yrs ago in britain it was 1 in every 75 persons now its 1 in 10 will have some form of skin cancer. its scary best thing to do is fake it with fake Bake if you want a tan!!! stay out of the sun and off of the sun beds, slip slap slop and be safe !!
Old Nov 18th 2007, 10:26 pm
Forum Regular

Arizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond repute

I think this is true as well. Arizona used to be second in the world for skin cancer,OZ being in first place.I have had four friends from UK that had skin cancer,three are now gone and the other one came here to AZ eleven years ago and he had a spot on his nose that kept bleeding,i told him to see a doctor and sure enough it was skin cancer.He had these spots all over his body,which have since been burned off but they had to operate on his nose as it had gone too far.The cancer was like a spider type of thingy and had gone to within one inch of his brain,they said if he had not come in to see them he would have been dead within eighteen months.He had this before he came to USA and had been sunburnt in Portigual and Spain a few years back.So all you sunlovers be aware,its a killer.
Old Nov 19th 2007, 12:35 am
Edi-Tsv-Bne-Edi-Bne-?

Fejaouk will become famous soon enoughFejaouk will become famous soon enough

Queensland Australia actually has the highest incidence of skin cancer in the world. However I would look more into the subject of skin cancer and sun exposure as its not that black and white. I would recommend looking at some articles by a Dr. Mercola who is considered "alternative" but being a plastic surgery nurse, I dont buy the sun exposure=skin cancer as its too simple and from my experience, speaking to patients and my own personal study I believe a more alternative view point.

http://www.mercola.com/2003/aug/2/sunscreen_cancer.htm

http://www.newstarget.com/021903.html

Scottie x
Old Nov 19th 2007, 9:46 pm
jan
classy clipper

jan will become famous soon enoughjan will become famous soon enough

Thank you guys for the info