Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

IT Skills, Which Visa and location

IT Skills, Which Visa and location

Old Nov 4th 2004, 8:23 am
Where's the bbq?

wandrews will become famous soon enoughwandrews will become famous soon enough
Default IT Skills, Which Visa and location

I have had a positive skills assessment from ACS, however due to the points change earlier this year, I find myself in the position of assessing various visa options, which could result in specifying where we live.

My main issues are

Skilled Visa:
about having to post the bond for the extra 5 points, when I would ideally would like to have the money when I move to OZ.

SIR:
The locations, and job availability.

Is there anyone else in the same position who wishes to share their thoughts and experiences or ideas.
Old Nov 4th 2004, 8:27 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IT Skills, Which Visa and location

If you think about the pros and cons, the additional flexibility and security you will have on a PR visa from the start is well worth posting the bond.

For example, with a SIR visa you are restricted in where you can live, and may have to turn down jobs for this reason. You may also find Australian employers less keen to hire you as you won't have PR.

There are other issues with SIR too (eg lack of certainty about PR, FIRB restrictions, delay in eligibility for citizenship, overseas uni fees etc).

Jeremy

Originally Posted by wandrews
I have had a positive skills assessment from ACS, however due to the points change earlier this year, I find myself in the position of assessing various visa options, which could result in specifying where we live.

My main issues are

Skilled Visa:
about having to post the bond for the extra 5 points, when I would ideally would like to have the money when I move to OZ.

SIR:

Is there anyone else in the same position who wishes to share their thoughts and experiences or ideas.
Old Nov 4th 2004, 8:46 am
Where's the bbq?

What about employer sponsorship, as according to the market leader requirement for the type of IT skills I have has gone up 300% year on year for the past 3 years (Fortunately OZ, is about 2 years behind UK)
Old Nov 4th 2004, 9:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

What about employer sponsorship, as according to the market leader requirement for the type of IT skills I have has gone up 300% year on year for the past 3 years (Fortunately OZ, is about 2 years behind UK)
oh go on then, tell us , what IT skill has gone up 300% 3 years running?

Oz isn't necessarily 2 years behind in IT. Its internet and CRM, ERM stuff is fairly up to date, depends on the company I suppose.

Cheers,
JTL
Old Nov 4th 2004, 9:26 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

If you can find an Australian employer keen to hire you and sponsor (not necessarily easy) then you may be able to apply for PR via Employer Nomination - either the ENS or RSMS visas, depending on circumstances.

Download and read migration booklet 5. Employer Nomination is not points tested.

Jeremy
Old Nov 4th 2004, 10:08 am
Where's the bbq?

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
oh go on then, tell us , what IT skill has gone up 300% 3 years running?

Oz isn't necessarily 2 years behind in IT. Its internet and CRM, ERM stuff is fairly up to date, depends on the company I suppose.

Cheers,
JTL
I am a Business Intelligence Consultant.
Old Nov 4th 2004, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

fraze1987 is an unknown quantity at this point

My main issues are

Skilled Visa:

SIR:

I found www.jobnet.com.au useful in getting a feel where the demand was for my IT skills - get a daily email update with all the jobs in the areas I'm interested in. I found the majority of IT jobs were in Sydney followed by Melbourne, which isnt surprising.
Old Nov 4th 2004, 10:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

I am a Business Intelligence Consultant.
That would be Data Mining then. We work in that area, plus others. I think the big growth time for that was 2 or 3 years ago, its still going strong, but not growing at a great rate, just different projects replacing those that are ending.

There are some data mining/analytical jobs in Brisbane, but never as many as Sydney or Melbourne, and not as well paid.

Cheers,
JTL
Old Nov 4th 2004, 10:56 am
Where's the bbq?

That would be Data Mining then. We work in that area, plus others. I think the big growth time for that was 2 or 3 years ago, its still going strong, but not growing at a great rate, just different projects replacing those that are ending.

There are some data mining/analytical jobs in Brisbane, but never as many as Sydney or Melbourne, and not as well paid.

Cheers,
JTL
What's wrong with Brisbane and IT jobs compared to Sydney and Melbourne then, or is it they do not have a shortage of skills
Old Nov 4th 2004, 11:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

What's wrong with Brisbane and IT jobs compared to Sydney and Melbourne then, or is it they do not have a shortage of skills
Smaller city, less demand, but jobs are available. Most big firms that can afford BI projects are in Sydney and Melbourne.

JTL
Old Nov 4th 2004, 11:07 am
Where's the bbq?

Smaller city, less demand, but jobs are available. Most big firms that can afford BI projects are in Sydney and Melbourne.

JTL
Thanks for the heads-up.
Old Nov 4th 2004, 11:12 am
Where's the bbq?

So would people say, that if I am reluctant to part with my money for the bond, that perhaps either a stni or sir visa for say melbourne would be my next options?

Of course I could invest the bond money for the year, retrieve it, then move over?
Old Nov 4th 2004, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

fraze1987 is an unknown quantity at this point

So would people say, that if I am reluctant to part with my money for the bond, that perhaps either a stni or sir visa for say melbourne would be my next options?

Of course I could invest the bond money for the year, retrieve it, then move over?
I'm pretty sure you cant stay in Melbourne with a STNI or SIR visa. Probably best to go for a PR if heading to Sydney or Melbourne
Old Nov 4th 2004, 11:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks for the heads-up.
No problem. If you do a search on www.seek.com.au, you'll see quite a few Business Objects and Cognos jobs. However the market changes quite quickly. Many of them may or may not be there by the time you arrive in Oz.

When we applied for skills assessment with ACS, my work experience was on the MODL list, but when I arrived 3 months ago, there were signicantly fewer jobs than a year ago.

Cheers,
JTL
Old Nov 9th 2004, 12:51 pm
Where's the bbq?

No problem. If you do a search on www.seek.com.au, you'll see quite a few Business Objects and Cognos jobs. However the market changes quite quickly. Many of them may or may not be there by the time you arrive in Oz.

When we applied for skills assessment with ACS, my work experience was on the MODL list, but when I arrived 3 months ago, there were signicantly fewer jobs than a year ago.

Cheers,
JTL
Do you know of any agencies and/or companies that may be willing to sponsor people with such skills.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.