Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

IT Skills Shortage or Not?

IT Skills Shortage or Not?

Old May 11th 2006, 3:29 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default IT Skills Shortage or Not?

http://australianit.news.com.au/arti...nbv%5E,00.html
Old May 11th 2006, 5:58 pm
Forum Regular

ScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud of
Default Re: IT Skills Shortage or Not?

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
I think it depends where mate. I work in IT and am heading to Perth. I'm fortunate to have a job when I get there, but I know my employer in Perth has said it's currently a real buyers market with far more applicants than jobs, but it will depend on the actual skill requirements, rather than just IT in general. There seems to be too many JEE and .NET developers/architects in the market in Perth at the moment.

I have no idea about other cities, but I'm sure there are others that can advise.

Cheers
Scott
Old May 11th 2006, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

micged has a brilliant futuremicged has a brilliant futuremicged has a brilliant futuremicged has a brilliant futuremicged has a brilliant futuremicged has a brilliant futuremicged has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ScottDavis
I think it depends where mate. I work in IT and am heading to Perth. I'm fortunate to have a job when I get there, but I know my employer in Perth has said it's currently a real buyers market with far more applicants than jobs, but it will depend on the actual skill requirements, rather than just IT in general. There seems to be too many JEE and .NET developers/architects in the market in Perth at the moment.

I have no idea about other cities, but I'm sure there are others that can advise.

Cheers
Scott
Hi can i ask how you managed to get a job before arriving in Perth? My husband is an IT consultant SAP etc. and we hope to move out to Perth soon (we have just got our PR visa) - if he secured a job before moving I would be a lot happier.
thanks Michelle
Old May 11th 2006, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

ScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by micged
Hi can i ask how you managed to get a job before arriving in Perth? My husband is an IT consultant SAP etc. and we hope to move out to Perth soon (we have just got our PR visa) - if he secured a job before moving I would be a lot happier.
thanks Michelle
I know how you must feel. My situation is somewhat different in that my new boss is actually my old boss, so we've worked together before and he had an opening for someone with my skills.

My wife also works in IT. She will not look until arriving in Perth as we've been told that in general agencies aren't really interested in you until you've arrived.
Old May 11th 2006, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

micged has a brilliant futuremicged has a brilliant futuremicged has a brilliant futuremicged has a brilliant futuremicged has a brilliant futuremicged has a brilliant futuremicged has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ScottDavis
I know how you must feel. My situation is somewhat different in that my new boss is actually my old boss, so we've worked together before and he had an opening for someone with my skills.

My wife also works in IT. She will not look until arriving in Perth as we've been told that in general agencies aren't really interested in you until you've arrived.
thanks for replying -
Do you know what the market is like for senior programme/project managers in Perth? It is really hard to tell from the places like Seek etc what the reality is. We are going out in August for him to really try and get a handle on his prospects and what he could realistically hope to earn etc. He is also going to try and contact firms directly before this to arrange possible interviews and contacts for when we are there.
Michelle
Old May 12th 2006, 1:21 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by micged
thanks Michelle
Not sure about Scotts comment about it being a buyers market in Perth at present, in my view its a real candidates strapped market, we really struggle to get more than 3 or 4 decent candidates for most of our roles.
What area of SAP does he work in ? Modules etc? technical or functional?
You indicate you are heading out in August is that just to visit or is that when you take up PR over here?
Its not what people want to hear but most agencies and employers wont really be interested in you until your within sight of landing, Perths going through a boom so everyone is busy its all about NOW not 2 or 3 months time. Id definitely be keen on seeing his resume, drop me a PM if you want to.
Steve
Old May 12th 2006, 3:20 am
BE Enthusiast

boom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this point

I've got to be honest, there isn't a huge selection of work around unless you have SAP skills, my contract came to an end 2 weeks ago and although it looks like I have landed a new role, it doesn't pay as well as I was hoping.
Old May 12th 2006, 3:53 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve&Clare
I've got to be honest, there isn't a huge selection of work around unless you have SAP skills, my contract came to an end 2 weeks ago and although it looks like I have landed a new role, it doesn't pay as well as I was hoping.
Steve just sent you a PM.
Old May 12th 2006, 6:17 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by steve99
Not sure about Scotts comment about it being a buyers market in Perth at present, in my view its a real candidates strapped market, we really struggle to get more than 3 or 4 decent candidates for most of our roles.
What area of SAP does he work in ? Modules etc? technical or functional?
You indicate you are heading out in August is that just to visit or is that when you take up PR over here?
Its not what people want to hear but most agencies and employers wont really be interested in you until your within sight of landing, Perths going through a boom so everyone is busy its all about NOW not 2 or 3 months time. Id definitely be keen on seeing his resume, drop me a PM if you want to.
Steve
Hi Steve, as I said it depends on what area you work in. IT is too broad a domain. My statement is based purely on my bosses feedback, but if you state it's a candidates market, I think a lot of people will be happy to hear that!
Old May 12th 2006, 11:18 am
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

We've been looking at Project Manager jobs in Melbourne and there seems to be a really great selection of jobs regularly. We've been in touch with a lot of agencies and the feedback we're getting is that there is a shortage of GOOD project managers in Melbourne. We've just got to convince Victoria of that now so that they'll give us sponsorship.

Good luck everyone.