Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Skills Shortage??

Skills Shortage??

Old Jul 1st 2008, 12:42 am
Just Joined

niamhk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Skills Shortage??

Argh! I keep reading about this so-called skills shortage, especially in Queensland, it's all 'Come to Queensland, we need people' but every job i want to apply for wants residency. If they're so desperate why are so few willing to sponsor? I'm eligible for it and previously have been sponsored, mad to get back to Oz but no-one will even look at my cv.
Frustrated!
Old Jul 1st 2008, 1:05 am

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Skills Shortage??

Originally Posted by niamhk
Argh! I keep reading about this so-called skills shortage, especially in Queensland, it's all 'Come to Queensland, we need people' but every job i want to apply for wants residency. If they're so desperate why are so few willing to sponsor? I'm eligible for it and previously have been sponsored, mad to get back to Oz but no-one will even look at my cv.
Frustrated!
I think it's a crock,it always has been.My wife and I were fast tracked and were over here in 3 months due to (supposed)skills shortage.It was 1989,we landed right in the middle of a building slump.Shortage my arse.Interest rates 18%.I had to take a labouring job in a factory.In that factory were 2 plumbers 3 chippies a welder and a fireman.all labouring.We were all saviors of the skills shortage.I didn't work in construction for over 6 years.My wife had to go to Uni for three and a half years to get anywhere with her job.Everythings fine now but its taken a good 12 years to get straight.
Old Jul 1st 2008, 6:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Dawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really nice

Frustrated!
Hi,

We are going to Queensland as soon as we sell the house now. Don't know if your on the skills list but myself and my husband are not so I set about sending off CV's for my Hubby in January. I applied for all jobs that were suitable on the internet job sites whether it said they wanted residency or not. It took from January to mid May and 250+ CV's until we found a sponsor but we did find one in the end.

Hang on in there

Dawn
Old Jul 1st 2008, 6:53 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Frustrated!
What vocation?
Old Jul 1st 2008, 6:59 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Frustrated!
We came on the skilled shortage list. But when you get here you can't work as you need licences.
As far as i can see there wasn't a shortage in our skill, hundreds of the same trade in Yellow pages etc, not enough work for us all.
Old Jul 1st 2008, 7:25 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
We came on the skilled shortage list. But when you get here you can't work as you need licences.
As far as i can see there wasn't a shortage in our skill, hundreds of the same trade in Yellow pages etc, not enough work for us all.
Thing is, not everyone needs a licence to work. In fact, I reckon the majority do not (I don't need one). Not good to hear if you do need one, but there it is. There is a massive skill shortage in Australia - but not in every trade/occupation. I reckon the government is out of touch with the reality of the work situation, hence the fact that jobs are on the skill list that should not be.

Last edited by Amazulu; Jul 1st 2008 at 7:42 am.
Old Jul 1st 2008, 7:27 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Thing is, not everyone needs a licence to work. In fact, I reckon the majority do not (I don;t need one). Not good to hear if you do need one, but there it is. There is a massive skill shortage in Australia - but not in every trade/occupation. I reckon the government is out of touch with the reality of the work situation, hence the fact that jobs are on the skill list that should not be.
I would agree with this.
Old Jul 1st 2008, 7:28 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Thing is, not everyone needs a licence to work. In fact, I reckon the majority do not (I don;t need one). Not good to hear if you do need one, but there it is. There is a massive skill shortage in Australia - but not in every trade/occupation. I reckon the government is out of touch with the reality of the work situation, hence the fact that jobs are on the skill list that should not be.
Thats what i have suspected all along, that the list is very out of date and needs inspecting.
OH does air-con and refrigeration. He needs about 4 different types of licences. Infact he is at college now 2 years later trying to update his expired ones.
Drives him crackers.
Old Jul 1st 2008, 9:07 am
Just Joined

Codify is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Thats what i have suspected all along, that the list is very out of date and needs inspecting.
OH does air-con and refrigeration. He needs about 4 different types of licences. Infact he is at college now 2 years later trying to update his expired ones.
Drives him crackers.
It really does depend which job it is - things change very quickly, demand can turn to oversupply within a few months.
Old Jul 1st 2008, 10:49 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Australia brings in skilled workforce to reduce supply and demand. If the market is flooded with skilled workers, the value [or cost] of those skills is reduced.

Also, by effectively flooding the market not only do you get a highly skilled workforce at half the true value, you also get skilled migrants working in manual jobs. This improves productivity without businesses having to work smarter.

It's also too easy for the corporate world in Australia to blame the lack of skilled workers for low productivity gains when it's lazy, inefficient, low skilled and "mates as managers" that's at the heart of the problem.

Once politicians wake up to the fact it's not a lack of skilled migrants that's the problem - it' ineffective management. To change this they need to stop defending the indefensible, accept responsibility and start choosing people for their skills rather than being "mates".

It's not what you know, it's who you know.

Bringing in skilled migrants doesn't address that problem
Old Jul 1st 2008, 11:05 am
Just Joined

niamhk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
What vocation?

I'm a Purchasing Officer, so I was sponsored previously as a Project Officer, as that's on the list of jobs that can be sponsored.
I screwed it up cos after 2 yrs in that job it seemed to be going nowhere and the money wasn't great, so i looked elsewhere, got offered a great job where they promised to sponsor me. I handed in my notice, then the new boss didnt wanna use an agent to do the visa application, even though he knew nothing about sponsoring, then when Immigration told him the process could take 2 months and he couldn't have me working for him in the meantime he fired me!! So I had to go home. I was devastated and now I want to go back so much.
Old Jul 1st 2008, 11:17 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a Purchasing Officer, so I was sponsored previously as a Project Officer, as that's on the list of jobs that can be sponsored.
I screwed it up cos after 2 yrs in that job it seemed to be going nowhere and the money wasn't great, so i looked elsewhere, got offered a great job where they promised to sponsor me. I handed in my notice, then the new boss didnt wanna use an agent to do the visa application, even though he knew nothing about sponsoring, then when Immigration told him the process could take 2 months and he couldn't have me working for him in the meantime he fired me!! So I had to go home. I was devastated and now I want to go back so much.
What ERP exposure have you had?

PM me if you like
Old Jul 1st 2008, 11:23 am
Just Joined

scooby is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
Australia brings in skilled workforce to reduce supply and demand. If the market is flooded with skilled workers, the value [or cost] of those skills is reduced.

Also, by effectively flooding the market not only do you get a highly skilled workforce at half the true value, you also get skilled migrants working in manual jobs. This improves productivity without businesses having to work smarter.

It's also too easy for the corporate world in Australia to blame the lack of skilled workers for low productivity gains when it's lazy, inefficient, low skilled and "mates as managers" that's at the heart of the problem.

Once politicians wake up to the fact it's not a lack of skilled migrants that's the problem - it' ineffective management. To change this they need to stop defending the indefensible, accept responsibility and start choosing people for their skills rather than being "mates".

I'll second that, even third and fourth it

I've never worked in a place so full of nepatism as WA. There are some truly hopeless managers where I work, who are luckily for them, related somewhere down the line to those who matter!:curse:
Old Jul 1st 2008, 11:33 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scooby
I'll second that, even third and fourth it

I've never worked in a place so full of nepatism as WA. There are some truly hopeless managers where I work, who are luckily for them, related somewhere down the line to those who matter!:curse:
If you can't beat it - manage it.

I've made serious money coaching managers to manage business.

Those that learn go from strength to strength and ironically they change their recruitment processes. They learn to manage by skill set rather than mateship. Once they reap the rewards, they change their ways. Easy
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 12:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter

This is true.

I would also add the culture of the baby-boomers to this as well. There was actually studies showing that baby-boomers prefer to hire slightly younger baby-boomers rather than fresh young people. I personally have experienced that.

Its just not migrants who have impossible chances at getting good jobs when they first come.

I am Australian and have worked here since I was 15 and have 2 uni degrees. I also have done lots of extra-curricular activities and participated in conferences and projects at work. I have worked in finance, services, retail, trade and now the Federal Govt.

It has been a HARD AND LONG process to get to an ok position. But of course there is still a long way to go.

Yet whenever I apply for a job its always 'we dont think your the right cultural fit.'

Yet incompetent morons gets promoted cause their best mates, or because they have big tits.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.