Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Skills required to start Accounting Career in Oz

Skills required to start Accounting Career in Oz

Old Jan 14th 2010, 6:34 am
BE Forum Addict

helloshivahere has a brilliant futurehelloshivahere has a brilliant futurehelloshivahere has a brilliant futurehelloshivahere has a brilliant futurehelloshivahere has a brilliant futurehelloshivahere has a brilliant future
Default Skills required to start Accounting Career in Oz

Hi All,

I wish you all for a successful new year.

Having Master Degree in Accounts and 9+ years experience and currently rolled as Finance Controller ( But Ready to work in Any role accounting support to Finalization )

What the basic things to be require to hunt a first job in oz ( Accounts)

Here is my list goes

* Oz Standard resume
* Already compiled list of recruitment agencies in Perth
* Practicing MYOB/Quick Book
* Enrolling in Professional networks
* Register with recruitment agencies
* Plan to upgrade to CPA ( Takes a bit time )

Did I missed anything"???? Inputs plz

Old Jan 15th 2010, 1:36 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Skills required to start Accounting Career in Oz

Be prepared to take a step downwards (eg work as book-keeper or accounts payable clerk) to get some Australian experience.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 7:29 am
BE Forum Addict

helloshivahere has a brilliant futurehelloshivahere has a brilliant futurehelloshivahere has a brilliant futurehelloshivahere has a brilliant futurehelloshivahere has a brilliant futurehelloshivahere has a brilliant future

Thanks for the input. I agree thats the first step towards getting job without local experience
Old Jun 12th 2010, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

tartantopgun has a brilliant futuretartantopgun has a brilliant futuretartantopgun has a brilliant futuretartantopgun has a brilliant futuretartantopgun has a brilliant futuretartantopgun has a brilliant futuretartantopgun has a brilliant future

Having no local experience has not hindered my wife in any way from gaining employment in WA. She is a qualified accountant with approx 10 years experience, registered with a few agencies. Was offered 2 jobs within 4 weeks of arriving with no local experience. Both roles were either equivelent or better roles than her previous job spec in the UK. Also she did not migrate to CPA from Cima and found this was irrelevant when getting interviewed.

So to take a massive step down will do more harm to your CV than simply being patient and finding the correct level of role for yourself.

Good luck.
Old Jun 12th 2010, 3:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tartantopgun
Having no local experience has not hindered my wife in any way from gaining employment in WA. She is a qualified accountant with approx 10 years experience, registered with a few agencies. Was offered 2 jobs within 4 weeks of arriving with no local experience. Both roles were either equivelent or better roles than her previous job spec in the UK. Also she did not migrate to CPA from Cima and found this was irrelevant when getting interviewed.

So to take a massive step down will do more harm to your CV than simply being patient and finding the correct level of role for yourself.

Good luck.
I could not agree more. Over the last 12 months I have read nothing but negative comments about ACCA and about why I should need to study for Australian qualifications and how I might need to take a step back. I have categorically stated that I have no intention of taking any further exams and have been told that I am setting myself up for failure with this stance.

Well here I am, I have been in Australia not quite three weeks and have two job offers. One about the same level as I have worked at but the other a most definite progression. They seem delighted at the idea of acquiring somebody with London financial market experience.

Nobody has said a word about my ACCA qualification or lack of local experience. Perhaps it is time to change the tune on here and give Australian employers a little bit more credit. They know an immigrant will not have an Australian qualification and they do recognise a solid CV when they see it, even if it does not have Australian experience on it.

I am inclined to think that by offering yourself forward for the more junior tasks you would come across as somebody who does not believe in themself and you are also casting doubt on your Financial Controller experience. Apply for Financial Controller roles and be confident. If it does not work out, then and only then lower your sights.