Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Skills Expo in London tomorrow - PLEASE HELP!

Skills Expo in London tomorrow - PLEASE HELP!

Old Oct 13th 2006, 1:05 pm
Forum Regular

Tatyana R will become famous soon enoughTatyana R will become famous soon enough
Default Skills Expo in London tomorrow - PLEASE HELP!

Dear all,

My husband has been given a time slot at the Australian Government Skills Expo at Australia House that is happening tomorrow and Sunday (14&15/10)

Now, can anyone tell me exactly what this interview is for and who it is with.

My husband is a baker and we have applied for a skilled independent visa and are awaiting this.

Sorry to be so vague but I just followed links when I was looking into the expo and before I knew it, he had an appointment through!!!

Thank you
Confused from Kent, England!
Old Oct 13th 2006, 1:17 pm
careful what you wish 4

dougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud of
Default Re: Skills Expo in London tomorrow - PLEASE HELP!

Originally Posted by Tatyana R
Dear all,

My husband has been given a time slot at the Australian Government Skills Expo at Australia House that is happening tomorrow and Sunday (14&15/10)

My husband is a baker and we have applied for a skilled independent visa and are awaiting this.

Sorry to be so vague but I just followed links when I was looking into the expo and before I knew it, he had an appointment through!!!

Thank you
all it is , is a small exhibition from various state governments and a few very big employers - all very general sort of stuff - the appointment is just a time so that they don`t get too many people visiting at once -
TRA and DIMIA are there to answer general questions but if you already know what you`re doing and how you are going to do it, you shouldn`t be too stressed about going out of your way to visit it ..
Old Oct 13th 2006, 1:23 pm
Forum Regular

Tatyana R will become famous soon enoughTatyana R will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by dougggy
all it is , is a small exhibition from various state governments and a few very big employers - all very general sort of stuff - the appointment is just a time so that they don`t get too many people visiting at once -
TRA and DIMIA are there to answer general questions but if you already know what you`re doing and how you are going to do it, you shouldn`t be too stressed about going out of your way to visit it ..
I read somewhere that it is a formal interview and need to wear suit etc and take a large amount of CV's?????
Old Oct 13th 2006, 1:30 pm
careful what you wish 4

dougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud of

I read somewhere that it is a formal interview and need to wear suit etc and take a large amount of CV's?????
no, its just an exhibition, take some CV`s by all means, just saves time having to write your details out..
Old Oct 13th 2006, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dougggy
no, its just an exhibition, take some CV`s by all means, just saves time having to write your details out..
This does sound more likely to be the case, however I have read on this site about the formalness (is that a word?) of this event. Maybe something else.Prob being a bit dizzy on a friday afternoon. Excuse me!
Old Oct 13th 2006, 2:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

This does sound more likely to be the case, however I have read on this site about the formalness (is that a word?) of this event. Maybe something else.Prob being a bit dizzy on a friday afternoon. Excuse me!

Most people who go, say it's a waste of time. There is nothing they can tell you that we can't, and we'll probably be more honest too
Old Oct 13th 2006, 2:39 pm
Forum Regular

lilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond repute

I went last year and there is nothing to be worried about, as already said it is an informal information gathering day. The government reps of the Aussie states are there, and can answer your questions DEFINITIVELY, i.e. from the horses mouth. Another thing you can't really get from an online forum(there are exceptions) is direct contact with potential employers. You should have had an info file sent to you which tells who is in attendance, read through and see which employers are possibles and take some C.V.'s to dish out. At last years event, the state gov. reps were actually helping people fill out state sponsorship forms.Basically it is the same as a recruitment day. As regards the formal "dress code" - on average, last years attendees were in shirts/trousers - tie not compulsory. Just dress smart, some people were wearing polo shirts and jeans. All in all, nothing to worry about.
Old Oct 13th 2006, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

here2learn is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear all,

Thank you
I was there last year, and not formal at all. No interview but an opportunity to ask questions at all levels. I would say very useful if you just starting to consider the process (immigration). There are also so potential employers that will gladly take/look at your CV and give advice. Give it a go - be warned can be very crowed and will have que up to ask questions.
Al