Reload this Page >

IT Skills and Experience

Wikiposts

IT Skills and Experience

Old May 26th 2003, 7:36 am
Badge

Originally posted by sgtPommie
Pleasancefamily... ummm..

seem to remember reading another thread that reckoned you were someone else in disguish... they seem to think they had you rumbled...

your comments seem to be there to defend the use of agents so u probably are one...

I have nothing against the use of agents, some people take great comfort in the use of an agent... I just feel it is not necessary if you dont want one... you can do it yourself (it is not rocket science)... just feel comfortable with whichever way u decide to go...
it would appear that agents are good if you have a problem history, or there is a difficulty in your profession assessment..

eg. a fitter being rejected for not being a pipe fitter to use a recent example but OK as a fitter - or some of the experience in your past cannot easily be substantiated as in the line of work you are applying as...

in my ACS assessment, my latest job was as a software developer doing web sites - i was assessed as a systems designer which annoyed me becaise as far as i am concerned i was still developing..ie . writing code - luckily it had no bearing in the end though.

if you read this site for all the catches and pitfalls regarding things like medicals, "front loading", STNI, bonus points and how they are applied, lodgement dates, MODL points, etc and you read all the forms carefully - there is no need for an agent.

badgers

Old May 26th 2003, 7:37 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

seem to remember reading another thread that reckoned you were someone else in disguish... they seem to think they had you rumbled...

your comments seem to be there to defend the use of agents so u probably are one...

I have nothing against the use of agents, some people take great comfort in the use of an agent... I just feel it is not necessary if you dont want one... you can do it yourself (it is not rocket science)... just feel comfortable with whichever way u decide to go...
Not true. We are going to NZ. We used migration agent. Would counsel anyone else in similar position (straightforward PR app) to NOT use immigration agent. Money for old rope as far as NZIS is concerned. NZIS themselves say agent advice is often not needed.

Cheers - Don

Last edited by The Don; May 26th 2003 at 7:45 am.
Old May 26th 2003, 7:38 am
zen
Forum Regular

zen has a spectacular aura aboutzen has a spectacular aura aboutzen has a spectacular aura about

Originally posted by young_lad
Talk about cynical.... what bizarre logic!
tis what I am is cynical.. I work in IT

Last edited by zen; May 26th 2003 at 7:44 am.
Old May 26th 2003, 7:43 am
Just Joined

gb004965 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have to agree with juniorpommie, the application is not extraordinarily difficult.

It really depends on how you feel you can cope with the process. A few people I know have used an agency as they were approaching 40 and had only really one shot at getting it done right and done speedily.

I have done my own application and have just sent of my medicals & police checks. So far no major difficulties. I have a degree in Hotel Management and a 1 year Msc in IT plus 5 years IT experience.

The process at first seems daunting, but if you do a little research it is straight forward. (ie read the DIMA site, ACS site and get the application pack from DIMA) I have only recently come across this site, and have to say it would have been helpful early on in my application, to answer some of my initial queries. So at least you have this good source of info.

I'm not saying agencies are a waste of money, as in more complicated migration cases I'm sure they are worth the investment.

Cheers Rodders
Old May 26th 2003, 10:39 am
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

I just checked out the BCS stuff and I could get in as an 'associate' but I would have no chance yet of getting in as a full member - would the ACS accept just an 'associate' membership..? (and I'm drawing the line at having to do any dodgy handshakes to be a member
Associate is no good you have to be a member. As for sharks (agents) I would agree with Badger unless you have a complicated application do it yourself, you will find most agents only take on your case if they know they can get a visa. easy money for them.

On saying that there are still genuine Consultants, Alan Collette who posts on here for one.

My advice is read the application form, read it again, then read it again and follow each question and instruction to the letter.
Old May 26th 2003, 11:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

If it's straight forward and their are no problems don't use an agent.

BUT when I looked into moving 12 years ago I didn't think I had the points and it's only when I spoke to an agent that he explained what I could do to achieve them. They should know the system inside out and all the quirks and anolomies, which you are struggleing with.

I believe the company I used has gone out of buisness, but I've seen numerous good comments about Gomatilda and Alan Collett and if you need an agent I'd say they are one of the best.
Old Jun 5th 2003, 3:45 am
Just Joined

tarlobond is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help needed-Skill Assessment

Hi,
Newbie to this post and applying for Skilled Migration to Australia.

Found out that I have to go the RPL way.
I am BE(Electronics) from Bombay University, India

Have 7+ years experirnce in IT (Internet ASP/VB/.NET/SQL Server)
4 years in USA and 3+ years in INDIA

Decided to have a Lawyer and filled up Skill Assessment form, RPL Form.
Gave notarised copies of Degree, Certificates, Marksheets, Work References, Traning Certificates from Microsoft Approved Tech Ed. Centers
Sample Visio diagrams, Code samples, flow diagrams for RPL Project report.

Now the lawyer says it would help if I gave half a page of exact project details in Work Exp. letter.

Now this will take some time since I have to contact all these new guys in HRD and wait and then decide on filing the paperwork

Do you guys think it worth waiting ...I am worried about the MODL list shrinking.

Suggestions/Comments would be appreciated

Thanx
Tarlobond
Old Jun 5th 2003, 5:55 am
Just Joined

sgtPommie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Help needed-Skill Assessment

My first suggestion would be stop working with those Microsoft evolutionary dinosaur products :-)

On a more serious note I did go back to each of my working colleagues other the past few years and get them to write more detailed references. They only briefly summarised the nature of the job, my role and the skills I provided. I keep in contact with them anyway so it was not a big deal.

It worked for me so you might want to consider it.
Old Jun 5th 2003, 8:48 am
Vee
BE Enthusiast

Vee is an unknown quantity at this point

That's not really fair. I'm not an agent but I am using one and don't mind saying so or recommending the company I am using.

I'm not using Go Matilda but I think the advice that Alan Collett posts on here is great and very helpful. He does it for free and I think that's really nice. So why shouldn't Don (is that right - pleasance family) recommend that someone look at say, Alan Collett's organisation? It's just a nice thing to do. One good turn deserves another. Doesn't mean that Don is an agent...just a nice guy by the sounds of it.

We used an agent because our application wasn't straight forward. However our friends who are also applying have a very straight forward application and did everything themselves..no problems and have just submitted their medicals and police checks..they sent in their application at the beginning of March. They said it was really easy and straightforward. Just a lot of leg work...but you still have to do that to a degree when using an agent.

They aren't ~ IMHO ~ a total waste of money. If you need them then it's worth it to pay.

V
Old Jun 5th 2003, 2:59 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Vee
That's not really fair. I'm not an agent but I am using one and don't mind saying so or recommending the company I am using.

I'm not using Go Matilda but I think the advice that Alan Collett posts on here is great and very helpful. He does it for free and I think that's really nice. So why shouldn't Don (is that right - pleasance family) recommend that someone look at say, Alan Collett's organisation? It's just a nice thing to do. One good turn deserves another. Doesn't mean that Don is an agent...just a nice guy by the sounds of it.

We used an agent because our application wasn't straight forward. However our friends who are also applying have a very straight forward application and did everything themselves..no problems and have just submitted their medicals and police checks..they sent in their application at the beginning of March. They said it was really easy and straightforward. Just a lot of leg work...but you still have to do that to a degree when using an agent.

They aren't ~ IMHO ~ a total waste of money. If you need them then it's worth it to pay.
V
I'm not an agent, just a dude moving to live in NZ. Happy enough to tell you by PM who we used as NZ migration agents (none of the above) and we were perfectly happy with their service.