Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Skills Assessment query

Skills Assessment query

Old Aug 5th 2005, 10:26 am
Bit more than Jnr. Member

alneve2oz is on a distinguished road
Red face Skills Assessment query

I work in computers and have done for many years, however, I have limited formal qualifications - an MCP (Microsoft Certified Professional) and one year of an HND - oh and an A Level. Now my worry is this, I understand that...

"...If you have worked in an occupation where substantial work experience may be acceptable instead of post-secondary qualifications, you must provide certified copies of references provided by your employers that outline the position you held, and the duties you have performed in that role..."

this was taken from DIMIA's website. Now I'm assuming that my experience will be sufficient, my only problem is that the company for whom I was the IT manager for over four years has ceased trading (at the end of 2004). I am still able to contact my former boss who is more than willing to write references, on (old) headded notepaper if neccessary, but will this be good enough for ACS and/or DIMIA, because, for all they know I could be lying and my "boss" could just be a friend..... Do they just accept my word, can they check in some other way, or am I, in fact, screwed?

Any help, thoughs or insights would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

AJ.
Old Aug 5th 2005, 10:30 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Skills Assessment query

Originally Posted by alneve2oz
this was taken from DIMIA's website. Now I'm assuming that my experience will be sufficient, my only problem is that the company for whom I was the IT manager for over four years has ceased trading (at the end of 2004). I am still able to contact my former boss who is more than willing to write references, on (old) headded notepaper if neccessary, but will this be good enough for ACS and/or DIMIA, because, for all they know I could be lying and my "boss" could just be a friend..... Do they just accept my word, can they check in some other way, or am I, in fact, screwed?
You need to get your old boss to write the reference, then drag him into a solicitor's office to sign a statutory declaration (explaining that the company has gone, etc) and solicitor will sign it too. This *should* be acceptable.
Old Aug 5th 2005, 10:34 am
Jonah & Suzie's Daddy!!!

Sir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud of

I work in computers and have done for many years, however, I have limited formal qualifications - an MCP (Microsoft Certified Professional) and one year of an HND - oh and an A Level. Now my worry is this, I understand that...

"...If you have worked in an occupation where substantial work experience may be acceptable instead of post-secondary qualifications, you must provide certified copies of references provided by your employers that outline the position you held, and the duties you have performed in that role..."

AJ.
just spoke to the tra queen and she says it should be ok if you get all the references .certified copies and headed note paper plus put your own stat dec in there and you must also prove that you have been working in that role ora similar role since leaving for the last 12 months out of 18 months....
if you can still contact your old boss ask him to supply contacy details for DIMIA and also contact companies house and get a report to say when the company went out of business to back it up....the more info the better ..there is no such thing as over kill eg old contract,wage slips,p45,p60 anything to back it up
Old Aug 5th 2005, 12:25 pm
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sir Les Patterson
just spoke to the tra queen and she says it should be ok if you get all the references .certified copies and headed note paper plus put your own stat dec in there and you must also prove that you have been working in that role ora similar role since leaving for the last 12 months out of 18 months....
if you can still contact your old boss ask him to supply contacy details for DIMIA and also contact companies house and get a report to say when the company went out of business to back it up....the more info the better ..there is no such thing as over kill eg old contract,wage slips,p45,p60 anything to back it up
you can actually check companys out onlinf in the companies house website, this tells you when it was disolved, not sure if this is good enough for Dimma but it's a starting point,
Old Aug 5th 2005, 12:52 pm

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

Which HND IT are you studying for? I finished an HND IT (Networking) in 2003, just wondered.
Old Aug 5th 2005, 5:53 pm
GC family day carer

68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute

AJ.
Hi Al,
Thought you were coming round to ours tonight, we've not cooked mushrooms especially!!

Get the reference from your ex-boss and if you can get him to sign a stat dec at a solicitors do that. If not, go and do one yourself anyway. You must mention that the business has dissolved.
I had NO references at all for the skills assessment part and NO employers were contactable, it was all done as stat decs, and I passed first time.
Marie
Old Aug 5th 2005, 6:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

teejay66 has a reputation beyond reputeteejay66 has a reputation beyond reputeteejay66 has a reputation beyond reputeteejay66 has a reputation beyond reputeteejay66 has a reputation beyond reputeteejay66 has a reputation beyond reputeteejay66 has a reputation beyond reputeteejay66 has a reputation beyond reputeteejay66 has a reputation beyond reputeteejay66 has a reputation beyond reputeteejay66 has a reputation beyond repute

Good quetion to post, and even better to find out that someone has the prior knowledge of how to solve the problem.

My hubby is in the same boat but different industry, previous companies no longer in business but more than one. He now works for himself and has done for quite a while anyone kno what to do if you are self employed?

Any help greatly appreciated.
Old Aug 5th 2005, 8:11 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teejay66
Good quetion to post, and even better to find out that someone has the prior knowledge of how to solve the problem.

My hubby is in the same boat but different industry, previous companies no longer in business but more than one. He now works for himself and has done for quite a while anyone kno what to do if you are self employed?

Any help greatly appreciated.
As a business owner I was in the same boat and could not really get my "boss" to verify the last few years. So I hired an independant Human Resources Consultant to analyse my job and role and verify the company and experience etc. He put together a portfolio and signed it off. Maybe the way to go if you get completely stuck

I also had the interesting problem of my previous company before we set up on our own had long gone. A statutory declaration from one of the managers who worked for me that I still knew and printed company information showing the liquidation from companies house did the trick.

Now I think about my skills assessment was harsh
Old Aug 5th 2005, 11:25 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

AJ.

Have you checked the ACS website to see if you meet their requirements for a skill assessment?

Jeremy