Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Skills Assessment from ACS

Skills Assessment from ACS

Old Jun 29th 2003, 6:56 pm
Just Joined

apps9 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Skills Assessment from ACS

Please clarify if my Bachelors Degree in Electronics & Telecommunications Engg. from the Univeristy of Mumbai would be assessed as being comparable to the Australian Degree and considered as a major in IT?Will this degree and a 4yrs experience in software programming fetch 60 points in the Skilled- Independent migration category?
Old Jun 29th 2003, 7:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

wongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nice

When I was in id-application for an Aussie visa I saw many people ask similar questions: when they were answered at all I saw them best answered on Mary Heath's ( a migration agent) free forum on:

http://forums.globalgateway.monster....asp?forum=1762

From recollection, I dimly remember many comments along the lines that the ACS does not always consider a degree from a different country as being equivalent to an Australian one. I have no idea on its stance on degrees from Indian universities.
Old Jun 30th 2003, 2:12 am
Forum Regular

Stevandiane is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by wongstonn
When I was in id-application for an Aussie visa I saw many people ask similar questions: when they were answered at all I saw them best answered on Mary Heath's ( a migration agent) free forum on:

http://forums.globalgateway.monster....asp?forum=1762

From recollection, I dimly remember many comments along the lines that the ACS does not always consider a degree from a different country as being equivalent to an Australian one. I have no idea on its stance on degrees from Indian universities.
Hi
I'm not an agent or anything so all I can tell you is of my own experience.

My skills were assessed by the ACS.

I found that the ACS produce a list of universities that it recognises as providing equivalent degrees. So if your Uni is on the list you have nothing to worry about. I'm not saying that if it's not they won't recognise your Uni, just that if it is on the list then it's more or less just accepted.

The list I found applied to Uni's in the UK, but I wasn't really looking for Uni's elsewhere.

Sorry I don't have a copy of the list but I'm sure you'll find it on the net somewhere.

Someone else reading this may have a link??

Stevan
Old Jul 3rd 2003, 10:32 am
Just Joined

apps9 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys.Unfortunately my questions don't seem to have been answered at the links that i visited.

The latest PMI Guidlines(Feb 2003) indicate a few changes in the ACS's GROUP A & GROUP B criterias .The GROUP B criteria states that applicants are required to have an overseas/Australian IT degree that is an IT SUB-MAJOR eg.Computing(Applied Sciences) etc. unlike GROUP A criteria that requires applicants with an MAJOR in computing/IT such as Computer Engineering.It further advises applicants to visit
http://www.deetya.gov.au/noosr
for further details on Recognised Computing Qualifications For Migration.However, as of now the link seems to be inaccessible.No reply yet on the email that I sent to [email protected] informing the same.

Can anyone please tell me if my Bachelors Degree in Electronics & Telecommunications,Mumbai.INDIA will be considered as a computing SUB-MAJOR by the ACS?

Further since the CEP-INDIA is unavailabe locally I tried ordering the same online.However the online form prompts for information such as
InfoAccess Catalogue Number or Subscription Code,Title,Author

I emailed [email protected] (as mentioned on the CEPs website) requesting details to be provided on the above but the email bounces back.

Please help.