Skilled Visa Questions

Old Jun 22nd 2018, 2:58 pm
Just Joined

Apple55 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Skilled Visa Questions

Hi everyone

My husband and I (both in our 30s) have always been interested in moving to Australia and now we have decided to look into it more seriously. From my research, I think we could move over on some kind of 'Skilled Occupation' visa - I have worked in Marketing for several years and have a BA degree so I would be the primary applicant. Initially we would like to move over on a temporary visa and rent until we decide if the Australian life is for us. I should probably mention that we have two kids, 4 and 11. We're all British and have no criminal background.

Could anyone please help answer the basic questions to help us see if this move is even feasible:

How long would this type of visa take to process?
How much would the visa cost for myself, husband and two kids?
Could I work part-time on this kind of visa?
Is my husband allowed to work?
What happens about healthcare for temporary residents?

Thanks in advance! I hope someone can help
Old Jun 22nd 2018, 4:43 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Skilled Visa Questions

There is no temporary visa for your family to try out Australia on unless you or your husband are sponsored by an employer. If you are sponsored, then no, you can't work part time.

www.immi.gov.au is where you start your research.
Old Jun 22nd 2018, 4:53 pm
Just Joined

Apple55 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Dorothy

Thanks for your reply. Does that mean we would have to apply for PR right away?

Thanks
Old Jun 22nd 2018, 11:19 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Apple55
Hi Dorothy

Thanks for your reply. Does that mean we would have to apply for PR right away?

Thanks
If you qualify for a permanent visa then yes you would have to apply for it before you can work in Australia. Unless you are sponsored by an employer.
Old Jun 23rd 2018, 5:30 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Temp visas are rarely a good idea. They come with a big load of issues such as many states charge temp residents school fees which can be thousands per year, partners can have issues with employment and yes, you have to work full time.

One of of the biggest issues is that you may decide you want to stay, but in the mean time, have become ineligible (the rules and occupations have been changing dramatically recently and a lot more are expected).

So, your choices are, try and find an employer willing to sponsor, which is hard, and live with the negatives including the risk your preference is not up to you. Or apply for PR, which would allow you to work part time or even not at all or in another occupation