British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Skilled Overseas Student in IT = 50 points ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/skilled-overseas-student-%3D-50-points-112682/)

NetWanderer Oct 10th 2002 3:19 pm

Skilled Overseas Student in IT = 50 points ?

I'm going to apply for Skilled-Independent Overseas Student category. My speciality is.... guess what ? IT, of course. As I know, the requirements for this category are updated every November. There are talks that IT occupations will be given 50 points from November not 60 points like now.
For me as a graduate it leaves no chances of reaching the passmark:(
Anyone knows anything about this matter ???

ptlabs Oct 10th 2002 4:04 pm

Re: Skilled Overseas Student in IT = 50 points ?

Originally posted by NetWanderer:
I'm going to apply for Skilled-Independent Overseas Student category. My speciality is.... guess what ? IT, of course. As I know, the requirements for this category are updated every November. There are talks that IT occupations will be given 50 points from November not 60 points like now.
For me as a graduate it leaves no chances of reaching the passmark:(

I will not comment on the speculation that IT occupations will be reduced to 50 points on the SOL, as I will simply add to the speculation instead of providing any evidence for or against it.

However, if IT occupations were to be reduced to 50 points, Bachelors, Grad Dip, and Masters in IT graduates from Australian universities will not be eligible for the Skilled-Independent Overseas Student visa subclass. This is because nominating (and getting a positive skills assessment) for a 60-point occupation is a mandatory condition in order to apply for the skilled overseas student visa, unless your degree was a PhD from an Australian university (you'll only need to nominate any occupation on the SOL in this case).

So, if the IT occupations are to be worth 50 points, only PhD in IT graduates will be eligible to apply under the Skilled Overseas Student category. However, I suspect that it won't come to this - the minister will have more than an earful from the universities who obviously have a vested interest in ensuring the 60 points for ICT stays.

Peter

NetWanderer Oct 10th 2002 4:16 pm

Re: Skilled Overseas Student in IT = 50 points ?

Originally posted by ptlabs:

I will not comment on the speculation that IT occupations will be reduced to 50 points on the SOL, as I will simply add to the speculation instead of providing any evidence for or against it.

However, if IT occupations were to be reduced to 50 points, Bachelors, Grad Dip, and Masters in IT graduates from Australian universities will not be eligible for the Skilled-Independent Overseas Student visa subclass. This is because nominating (and getting a positive skills assessment) for a 60-point occupation is a mandatory condition in order to apply for the skilled overseas student visa, unless your degree was a PhD from an Australian university (you'll only need to nominate any occupation on the SOL in this case).

So, if the IT occupations are to be worth 50 points, only PhD in IT graduates will be eligible to apply under the Skilled Overseas Student category. However, I suspect that it won't come to this - the minister will have more than an earful from the universities who obviously have a vested interest in ensuring the 60 points for ICT stays.

Peter

Thanks Peter for providing your opinion.
Well, I guess we just need to wait a little bit until November to know how that's going to be.