British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Skilled Migrants Job Matching Service (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/skilled-migrants-job-matching-service-633980/)

paulry Oct 5th 2009 12:05 am

Skilled Migrants Job Matching Service

Has anyone successfully secured a job through the Australian government's skilled migrants job matching service?

Sammy T Oct 5th 2009 2:08 am

Re: Skilled Migrants Job Matching Service

The OH signed up for this in March 08 when we got the visa, we have never heard a thing from them, not once!

Not sure if other people have had better experiences but pretty useless as far we're concerned, OH got 2 job offers in the first week from contacts he made before we left the UK, so start putting out feelers and sending emails etc as much as possible.

Good luck

tartankoala Oct 5th 2009 3:50 am

In 18 months, I've been 'matched' to 1 job and it wasn't even a match! Complete waste of time and resources imho.

Sally Simpson Oct 5th 2009 8:55 am

Have yet to hear from them!:ohmy::lol:

nbn8 Oct 5th 2009 10:27 am

Ive tried to register but it does not list my skill secondary teacher?? Given up in the end

newjersey Oct 5th 2009 10:38 am

I remember reading this somewhere on this board that the "success rate" (irony of the term) is less than 1 per cent. IMO not worth your time.

SalmanM Oct 5th 2009 10:50 am

Originally Posted by newjersey (Post 7990122)
I remember reading this somewhere on this board that the "success rate" (irony of the term) is less than 1 per cent. IMO not worth your time.

I also tried 3 months back, it just sent me 1 job news which was totally irrelevant so IMO, its not functional as it seems so

caliburn Oct 5th 2009 11:31 am

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 7989226)
Has anyone successfully secured a job through the Australian government's skilled migrants job matching service?

I got alert for 1 match so far in over 1 year and yet it was not a good match. I think Australian government started this with all the good intention but unfortunately it did not work out.

You don't loose much, if anything at all, by skipping this service.

letusenjoy79 Oct 5th 2009 4:33 pm

Keep trying urself rather than even thinking of this service to be of any kind of help, its useless:)

mecheng Oct 5th 2009 8:01 pm

Having never tried it myself I can't speak ill of the system, however, it is a government system so what would you expect. Just say to yourself, would I rely on a UK government system to match my skill levels to a position? There is a myriad of other options available that I'm sure will source you better positions.

paulry Oct 6th 2009 12:06 am

So it's as I suspected. Thanks everyone. :)