Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Skilled labour vacancies rise 11%

Skilled labour vacancies rise 11%

Old Sep 20th 2006, 6:50 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Skilled labour vacancies rise 11%

The number of job vacancies for skilled labour in Australia increased by 11 per cent this month, seasonally adjusted.

The Federal Government's index of skilled vacancies says demand for professional jobs increased by almost 2 per cent.

But the number of advertisements for trade positions fell a little compared to August.

[...]

Statistics from the Government's employment website show labourers and factory workers have been the most sought after this month.
ABC.
Old Sep 20th 2006, 9:47 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Skilled labour vacancies rise 11%

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede

The number of job vacancies for skilled labour in Australia increased by 11 per cent this month, seasonally adjusted.

The Federal Government's index of skilled vacancies says demand for professional jobs increased by almost 2 per cent.

But the number of advertisements for trade positions fell a little compared to August.

[...]

Statistics from the Government's employment website show labourers and factory workers have been the most sought after this month.

ABC.

I was talking to an Aussie business man again today who was bemoaning the lack of skilled tradies.

I told him there is not the large shortage he perceives it's just that they are waiting tables and mowing grass.

He hardly believed me when I told him of the difficulties immigrants faced trying to enter the workforce in their skilled professions.

"But we are desparate for them, there are not enough qualified locals" he said. I suggested he and his colleagues would do well to talk to the authorities. He is not the first I have awakened to the situation.

I explained no-one wants a free ticket and expects to do whatever is necessary to transfer over skills but in practice the time delays can be attrocious for someone trying to do just that. Indeed one could almost say obstructive.

We have a Pommie electrician who came over expecting to get his full licences etc wthin a month. I warned him it would be more like 6 months if he's lucky. It's now been 9 months and he is totally exasperated. He is highly qualified and has no trouble with the Aussietheory or practical exams. Getting to take them is another matter.
Old Sep 20th 2006, 10:15 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Skilled labour vacancies rise 11%

Originally Posted by Bix
I was talking to an Aussie business man again today who was bemoaning the lack of skilled tradies.

I told him there is not the large shortage he perceives it's just that they are waiting tables and mowing grass.

He hardly believed me when I told him of the difficulties immigrants faced trying to enter the workforce in their skilled professions.

"But we are desparate for them, there are not enough qualified locals" he said. I suggested he and his colleagues would do well to talk to the authorities. He is not the first I have awakened to the situation.

I explained no-one wants a free ticket and expects to do whatever is necessary to transfer over skills but in practice the time delays can be attrocious for someone trying to do just that. Indeed one could almost say obstructive.

We have a Pommie electrician who came over expecting to get his full licences etc wthin a month. I warned him it would be more like 6 months if he's lucky. It's now been 9 months and he is totally exasperated. He is highly qualified and has no trouble with the Aussietheory or practical exams. Getting to take them is another matter.
The government should be streamlining the process. It's utterly ridiculous that a skilled tradie should be forced to wait so long.
Old Sep 20th 2006, 10:21 am
BE Enthusiast

suebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to behold
Smile Re: Skilled labour vacancies rise 11%

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede

[...]

ABC.
Hi Vash

Stats are great but it does not detract from the fact that even if you get a skills visa on the basis that your job is in demand over here this does not equate to getting that job when you arrive here. There appears to be an unwritten rule re a rights of passage for most migrants who seem to have to put up with doing crap for 12 to 24 months before they get their hands on something semi juicy. I love it here but really miss my job at times.

Sue
Old Sep 20th 2006, 10:25 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

I think Vash agrees with you Sue
Old Sep 21st 2006, 2:29 pm
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

I have been looking(i'm a spark) at jobs in Sydney and there are heaps. Ok most are for licensed electricians but some are not. In NSW you can work without a licence but must be supervised. I will be looking to get my licence asap when i arrive. But i will do what i have to. Fire alarms technician or at worst trade assistant maybe. I need to be working within 2 weeks of arriving. I'm not too worried.
Old Sep 21st 2006, 4:03 pm
Banned

Dom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud of

What are the opportunities like for a thirty something to get into a trade in Oz.

Unless you know the right people, it's a ****ing nightmare taking your hard earned evening class certificates out into the field in England.

I'm hoping for a career change when we arrive. Always worked in an office.