Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Skilled independent or state territory nominated

Skilled independent or state territory nominated

Old Jan 27th 2003, 8:24 pm
Forum Regular

golden girl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Skilled independent or state territory nominated

I have been looking at all the possible options aon how best to get to Aus ASAP, having gone through the points test on the database it looks likee i will get 110 points- 115 required under the skilled categorie.
What is best,
Skilled independent,
State nominated - is this longer
how does the pool system work

As you can see I am confused as to the best option

hope you can assist
Old Jan 28th 2003, 12:12 am
Forum Regular

Lana is an unknown quantity at this point

If you can get a state nomination, it is faster. But they are not something anyone can get, only certain jobs in certain states and some are subject to having a job offer. Check each state that offers the program (I know that Victoria and South Australia have it, not sure about others).

Skilled-independent is what almost everyone here applied for, has been taking an average of 46 weeks, but that is after you get a skill assessment, which is another 12 weeks on average.

The pool system means that if you don't get the 115 points, they will keep your application for 2 years and if the points are lowered and you meet the new lower mark, you will then be granted a visa. But the chances of the points being lowered are close to none, since they are granting the expected number of visas and the minister has said he is "very satisfied". Maybe it will go back to 110 one day, but I wouldn't count on it. If you have less than 115 points, you are essentially giving money to DIMIA for nothing.

We applied for skilled-independent plus skill matching, since there is no extra cost for skill matching. Not that we expect to get a job through skill matching, but I never pass up anything free. If we could have gotten a State Nomination, we would have, but no states want us .
Old Jan 29th 2003, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

smiths2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Skilled independent or state territory nominated

Hi gg

I got State Sponsorship (VIC).

It was quicker and I only went for it while my application for SKilled Ind was being processed. I'm in IT (I'm not sure I will be when I get to Mel in May!) and I saw the points changing and rules for MODL so I used it as a backup plan.

Fortunately, I got State Sponsorship as when the points went to 115 I would have failed under SI as I only had 110.

I would suggest go the State Sponsorship route. It is quick and painless to find out if you qualify. If you do succeed, quids in (sorry dollars) if you don't, at least you know.

One of the downsides is you are tied to a particular State for 2 years if they sponsor you. So if you want to reside in NSW and you can only get State Sponsorship in Victoria, you may have to delay your plans to go to NSW!

I hope this helps. If not, ask away. I personally took from March 2002 until December 2002 by doing the above.

Cheers

Steve

Originally posted by golden girl
I have been looking at all the possible options aon how best to get to Aus ASAP, having gone through the points test on the database it looks likee i will get 110 points- 115 required under the skilled categorie.
What is best,
Skilled independent,
State nominated - is this longer
how does the pool system work

As you can see I am confused as to the best option

hope you can assist
Old Jan 30th 2003, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

fuzion is an unknown quantity at this point

How do you find out what skills are required for STNI for each state, and also are there websites for each state anywhere ??
Old Jan 30th 2003, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

smiths2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by fuzion
How do you find out what skills are required for STNI for each state, and also are there websites for each state anywhere ??
Try http://www.migration.vic.gov.au/
Old Jan 31st 2003, 3:17 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute
Default State Nomination

You can look at the current lists here:
http://www.gomatilda.com/news/article.cfm?articleid=224

Presently only SA and VIC operate a system of State Nomination, although TAS is coming onstream soon - I am awaiting a reply to them in that regard to establish timeframes.

I believe QLD would also like to bring in a system of STNI too - watch this space (or the Go Matilda News page).

The other point to bear in mind is that nominations for IT occupations are very very rare these days and I expect IT occupations to come off the "wanted lists" in the next month or three.

Hope this helps.

Originally posted by fuzion