Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

skilled - designated area sponsored: anyone else?

skilled - designated area sponsored: anyone else?

Old Apr 10th 2002, 9:42 am
Forum Regular

pete2002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default skilled - designated area sponsored: anyone else?

Hi all,
Is there anyone else out there going for PR in Aus via the 'skilled - designated area sponsored' route?
I'm just starting out with this one and would be very grateful to hear anyone's experiences / hints / tips.

thanks

pete
Old Apr 10th 2002, 10:19 am
Just Joined

Kerry & Steve is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: skilled - designated area sponsored: anyone else?

Hi

We are hoping to get into Oz via skilled spon. We have some friends that kindly offered to be our assurers, just now getting the bottle to ask my uncle who lives in Adelaide.
Old Apr 10th 2002, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

Hi Kerry n Steve,
He'll been fine I'm sure. Just ask him nicely

Are you guys thinking of using an agent or doing it yourselves? Adelaide falls within a designated area does it not?
So you don't need to worry about points, just the skills assessment. If you don't mind me asking, what skills are you going for?

regards

pete
Old Apr 10th 2002, 10:31 am
Just Joined

Hi Pete,

No don't mind.........Hairdressing. Its in demand which is ok, but at the moment I am studying for an animation degree. Animation does come under illustrator but is 50 points so will need to do 12 months out of 18 for work experience if I'm right. I did hairdressing straight from school, did my five years to a senior only because my dad said "you never know when your going to need it" as at the time......I hated hairdressing. So the plan is on completion of degree will try and do six months hairdressing to get in............bo- hoo. unless at the time of visa app illustrator gains another 10 points!

We are in Adelaide December so approching uncle then. I do feel kinda cheeky, but if I don't ask I don't know!!

Pete, what skill are you going to use?
Old Apr 10th 2002, 10:36 am
Just Joined

Hi Pete,

Sorry forgot to answer about the agent. Well we went to the 2002 fair in London last month and met some agents. We are unsure of what to do really. Our friends that went to Oz last year went through and agent, so thinking maybe good idea. Don't know. We did find an agent we quite liked.

How about you?
Old Apr 10th 2002, 10:49 am
Forum Regular

Hi kerry (I'm guessing it's you as steve doesn't sound like a hairdresser),

Firstly, re agents, I'm tempted by Ian Harrop. I've spoken to the guy and he was pretty positive about my situation (another agent was the exact opposite). Also, most people on here have nothing but good things to say about him. I guess it depends on how complicated your case is. If you're an IT guru with £1 million in the bank then I guess you'd do it yourself.

As for my skills. Well then it gets a bit complicated. I've got a good degree in Biology from a great Uni. Trouble is, for the last 18 months I've been working in Web Developement so as far as the skills assessment goes I'm neither one thing or the other. Because of the designated area sponsor I don't need to worry about points but even so....
It's been suggested to me that I apply to VETASSESS with Natrual & Physical Scientist (nec) as my nominated occupation. This would be a piece of cake with my qualifications but as for my experience...hmmmmm.

We shall see

p.s. I know what you mean about the stress thing, and I've only just started! Still, it lets us know we're alive! Keep smilling

All the best

pete
Old Apr 10th 2002, 3:35 pm
ndaltonb

Pete,

Just to let you know, we are using Zeno of Ian Harrop and Associates. Hope that helps

Kerry & Steve,
Are you aware that you don't need to pass the points if you are family sponsored from a designated area? I think Adelaide is a designated area but better check with an expert.

The important thing to check is find out whether your assurer (family or friend) earns enough. They have to earn over a certain amount to be able to stand as an assurer.

Best check what the level is before you get to Adelaide so you can ask, "and do you earn over AUDxxxxxx".

Nigel db
(not a professional)

Old Apr 11th 2002, 9:40 am
Just Joined

Yeah, heard a few things about Ian Harrop, is he based in Manchester. Will I be able to find him on the internet?
Old Apr 11th 2002, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

Ian Harrop's web site can be found at www.ihaust.com

Give him a call
Old Apr 11th 2002, 10:45 am
Just Joined

Thanks Pete