Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Skill Matching database ?

Skill Matching database ?

Old Sep 15th 2003, 9:13 am
Just Joined

pistolwhip is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Skill Matching database ?

Hello people.. i am in the process of sorting out my visa for life down under and just trying to specify which visa i can go for.

I am possibly looking at either Regional \ State sponsorship or recognition of Prior Learning where i will get assesed by the australian computer society for my skills. The question is does anyone know what states \ regions are using teh skill matching database the most as i would have to stay in that area for two years if successful ?

I saw on another forum in 2002 it was Victoria ?

Thanks

Gary
Old Sep 15th 2003, 9:38 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

last time i looked it was Victoria, south australia and Tasmania. (STNI)
Someone will pick me up on it if i'm wrong, good luck with it
Old Sep 15th 2003, 9:48 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by h garrett
last time i looked it was Victoria, south australia and Tasmania. (STNI)
Someone will pick me up on it if i'm wrong, good luck with it
Thats what i thought. Whats the climate like in Victoria i hear its very like the UK

Although you only have to stay there for 2 years then you are free to roam as it were.
Old Sep 15th 2003, 10:18 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

The climate is apparently like northern europe. Sydney has as much rain as Melb, but its not as frequent but heavier. But on the plus side the winter is only 3 months and isn't as cold as winter here. Yes, after 2 years your free to roam!
Old Sep 15th 2003, 10:27 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by h garrett
The climate is apparently like northern europe. Sydney has as much rain as Melb, but its not as frequent but heavier. But on the plus side the winter is only 3 months and isn't as cold as winter here. Yes, after 2 years your free to roam!
I notice that you are off to Melbourne soon ! bet you can't wait ?

I take it the weather is still much better than what we get here ?

Northern Europe are we talking France \ Normandy northern europe type of weather ?
Old Sep 15th 2003, 10:32 am
High in the Dandenongs

yes, france type of weather.
Was talking to Hibee whose been there a year and he said although it was windy, he could only say that they have had 5 "bad" days all winter. Much better than here. You also have the added bonus of the ski fields being 2 1/2 hours drive out, so you can get "real" snow.
Yep getting really excited, just waiting for an exchange date so we can get everything booked
Old Sep 15th 2003, 10:57 am
Just Joined

Thanks !

To be honest if my only way there is through Melbourne its got to be worth it !

5 Bad days all winter... sounds like heaven.
Old Sep 15th 2003, 11:03 am
Badge

Melbourne has a reputation for variable weather but that is not to say it is exactly the same as the UK; it has much higher highs and porbably higher lows - it will feel VERY cold in the winter but then all of south aussie does due to the lack of insulation.

I got there in summer - (December) and it was 40 degrees for 2 days. Then it was muggy and cool and grim for a week. I felt instantly depressed as it was the first time in months and months that I'd had more than 3 days of overcast weather..the mugginess reminded me of the UK. But then - it was nice again.

badgers

Old Sep 15th 2003, 11:10 am
Just Joined

Hence the 4 seasons in one day title i guess !

OK next question does anyone know how much a flight to the gold coast \ Sydney would cost in AUS$ from Melbourne - you could always take a quick break now and then if it was reasonable.