Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Skill Independent - working experience requirement?

Skill Independent - working experience requirement?

Old Jun 20th 2002, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

saturn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Skill Independent - working experience requirement?

Hi,

I am planning to apply as a skilled independent.

I have experience of nearly 3 years (2 yr 10 months to be exact) as a software developer.

There is a basic requirement which says one should have been in employment for atleast 12 out of last 18 months when application is lodged.

Then there are points for the experience for which the requirement is 3 years if the occupation is 60 points.

Does this mean that I should have experience of 4 years? (1 yr to fullfil basic requirement, and 3 years to score 10 points)

I am very confused and will appreciate your help. Thanks!

Saturn
Old Jun 20th 2002, 11:20 pm
Jaj

Default Re: Skill Independent - working experience requirement?

The same experience can fulfil both the basic requirement and the work experience
points assessment. So if you have 3 years skilled experience in the last 4, then you
should meet both requirements.

But - if you are getting assessed by the ACS, your application will have a deeming
date. You will only be able to count work experience after this date as skilled for
DIMA requirements.

This may affect you in particular if you are going down the route of being assessed
on the basis of a Group B (equivalent of an Australian diploma, which can include
bachelors with a minor in IT, and some overseas bachelors degrees) plus 4 years work
experience. In this case you may not be able to count the 4 years experience required
to get the ACS assessment as skilled for the purpose of meeting the DIMA basic
requirements or points test.

Jeremy

>On 20 Jun 2002 13:20:23 GMT, saturn <[email protected]> wrote: Hi,
    >
    >I am planning to apply as a skilled independent.
    >
    >I have experience of nearly 3 years (2 yr 10 months to be exact) as a software
    >developer.
    >
    >There is a basic requirement which says one should have been in employment for
    >atleast 12 out of last 18 months when application is lodged.
    >
    >Then there are points for the experience for which the requirement is 3 years if the
    >occupation is 60 points.
    >
    >Does this mean that I should have experience of 4 years? (1 yr to fullfil basic
    >requirement, and 3 years to score 10 points)
    >
    >I am very confused and will appreciate your help. Thanks!
    >
    >Saturn
    >
    >
    >
    >--
    >Posted via http://britishexpats.com