Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Skiing in Australia...

Skiing in Australia...

Old Aug 23rd 2004, 9:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

honeybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant future
Default Skiing in Australia...

My husband seems to think that we will be able to shoot off from brisbane/gold coast area and just go skiing in australia during our holidays!

back here in england, we do ski as much as the seasons permit, but in France, with two days drive ahead of us, so we can at least see some of fantastic France along the way!

does anyone have any information as to where you go exactly??

cheers!
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 9:39 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Skiing in Australia...

Originally Posted by honeybob
My husband seems to think that we will be able to shoot off from brisbane/gold coast area and just go skiing in australia during our holidays!

back here in england, we do ski as much as the seasons permit, but in France, with two days drive ahead of us, so we can at least see some of fantastic France along the way!

cheers!

Hi ya!!

There are quite a few ski fields in Oz, mainly though in Southern NSW and Victoria. You could look up Perisher, or Mt Bulla, Mt Hotham...they are the main ones....popular ones...

Old Aug 23rd 2004, 9:41 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

cheers!
Thredbo, Jindabyne, Perisher Blue, Mount Buller. All around the snowy mountains near the NSW Victorian border. From Brisbane you may as well look at NZ as well as flying to canberra and driving is as much hassle as flying to NZ. This year has been good for the snow although it is normally more inconsistent than NZ.

Personally if I had the time and cash I would go to Treble Cone in NZ.
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 9:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

honeybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant future

thanks hels,

much appreciated, will start researching your info immediately!

as for the 22 sleeps, best of luck and thinking of you....

honeybob...
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 10:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

chocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura about

We went skiing at the beginning of August. It was our first time skiing in Oz. Before we moved here, we went to France (Val Thorens, Meribel area). Anyway, it was just amazing to be under the hot sun and blue sky in Jindabyne, catch the tube from Bullocks Flats into Perisher and suddenly be in a kind of Antarctic landscape in blizzard conditions. A difference of a ten minute train ride !

The snow conditions this year are the best in 25 years, so people are saying. We had a lot of fun. You'll find that the ski terrain is small compared to France and the runs are much shorter. But the queuing is orderly + very short queues during the week. Piste preparation is ok.

We stayed on snow in a lodge - the food was great and it was really convenient for the ski lifts. However, there's not much apres ski life in Perisher - you'd be better off in Thredbo for that. I think it's worked out more expensive to ski here than in France - I suppose because the season is much shorter here.

There were quite a few Brisbanites in our lodge - they'd either driven or flown down. It's about 5 .5 hrs easy drive from Sydney.
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 10:16 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks hels,

much appreciated, will start researching your info immediately!

as for the 22 sleeps, best of luck and thinking of you....

honeybob...

Awww...bless ya!! Thanks for that....its very much appreciated....

Good luck with finding a great ski venue for a holiday...I have never liked skiing myself...too bloody cold....but the info bondipom put sounds to be alot better than mine.....I do hope you find something tho...

Hels
xxx
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 10:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

dear chocaholic, have done too, val thorens and meribel, would recommend valmeinier to you aswell. Possibly the hardest slog i've done, they say, oh, 'le petit dejeuner' is just a waffle, believe me, it's not, please, if ever you get the opportunity, try it! it is categorised as a blue run (ha!), we thought we'll do it, like the locals say, prior to breakfast, arse hadn't burned like that in a while!!!!!! loved being overtakin' by a bloke with his dog on his skis and his morning bread over his shoulder!!!

Valloire, is the village that if given the opportunity, i would spend the rest of my days in.. but the language barrier, when you have two small kids, it's too much, nevermind! lifestyle, i'm not talking money here, unbelievable, peaceful and calm! best market on a friday night for hams as well!

and thanx bondipom also, husband is salivating at thought of treble cone, me, all i can think about is sore thighs and deep heat... he's already searching it!

honeybob...

honeybob...
Old Aug 24th 2004, 12:24 am
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

Perisher Blue or Thredbo: SUNDAY MORNING DEPARTURES Ex Brisbane 5 Nights From $743 return

Fly Drive & Skiing New Zealand Holiday - 5 Nights from $883*

Not neccessarily the best deals going.
Old Aug 24th 2004, 12:53 am
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Which one has the less yuppies? That'd be the big thing I'd want to know before setting out.
Old Aug 24th 2004, 3:18 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by bondipom
Thredbo, Jindabyne, Perisher Blue, Mount Buller. All around the snowy mountains near the NSW Victorian border. From Brisbane you may as well look at NZ as well as flying to canberra and driving is as much hassle as flying to NZ. This year has been good for the snow although it is normally more inconsistent than NZ.

Personally if I had the time and cash I would go to Treble Cone in NZ.

I went to NZ last year... snow wasn't as good as Perisher etc look this year, still very skiable though. For the price and hassle (or lack of)NZ was great
Old Aug 24th 2004, 6:15 am
BE Enthusiast

thanks for info all...

will look for areas with less yuppies, and less snowboarders too!
Old Aug 24th 2004, 6:27 am
Forum Regular

jodesmc will become famous soon enoughjodesmc will become famous soon enough

Hiya Honey bob,

The snow in Aus is pretty hit and miss, depending on the season, but there are some great resorts. Have only skiied Perisher in NSW which was great, and Falls Creek/Mt Hotham are fabulous in Oz, Mt. Buller is the most accessible and can get busy, but doesn't seem to get as much snow as falls. Havew also skied north and south Islands in NZ, can't speak more highly about it, runs long, and great snow, and Bondipom got it right, treble Cone is fabuolous, the vies are to die for.
Happy skiing. xx