Skiing Aus & NZ

Old Feb 8th 2007, 5:52 pm
Forum Regular

sunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nice
Question Skiing Aus & NZ

We have cashed in a years worth of babysitting and are lucky enough to be writing this from Tignes up in the French Alps...so got me thinking has anyone skiied/boarded downunder and any recommendations etc.

We are looking at Melbourne to emigrate so any Mt Hotham advice is appreciated or is it best avoiding Oz and hopping over to NZ ?!?!?
Also is equipment much dearer to buy there than UK ?

Cheers folks
SB
Old Feb 8th 2007, 6:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Coppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Skiing Aus & NZ

I hear the Perisher is good,

http://www.perisherblue.com.au/winter/index.php

Don't know about the prices of equipment. I probably will ship my board over, but then again I'm probably going to SA, so unless they have any snow domes . . . or maybe go on a ski holiday in NZ?
Old Feb 8th 2007, 6:38 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunburn
We have cashed in a years worth of babysitting and are lucky enough to be writing this from Tignes up in the French Alps...so got me thinking has anyone skiied/boarded downunder and any recommendations etc.

We are looking at Melbourne to emigrate so any Mt Hotham advice is appreciated or is it best avoiding Oz and hopping over to NZ ?!?!?

Cheers folks
SB
Funnily enough it works out cheaper to fly from Melbourne to Ski in Queenstown. You can also access the North Island slopes via Auckland/Rotorua/Hamilton.

Not sure on the equipment - we missed a chance this season just gone but will be checking out the sales (the have preseason sales here not post).
Old Feb 8th 2007, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

hubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nice

Compared to European ski resorts the skiing in NZ and in Australia is pretty average. Oz is the worst. Both places tend to have short runs and not many of them (in NZ we skied Queenstown, The Remarkables (distinctly unremarkable), Treble Cone, and another one I can't remember, in Oz we went to Threadbo and it was interesting enough for 1 day's worth of skiing). If you are a good skier you're better off saving and going once every 2 years to the US or Canada.
Old Feb 10th 2007, 6:03 pm
Forum Regular

sunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nice
Talking Re: Skiing Aus & NZ

Cheers fo replies folks.... this is a return for us after 6 years, two little reasons why are back with the grandparents

Sounds like NZ is the best choice, we remembe how much we enjoy it now, too adictive by far !

Thebears....somehow I knew u were a skiier/boarder ! have to meet up for a vin chaud after a good black run eh ?

Cheers all
SB
Old Feb 10th 2007, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

thedons will become famous soon enoughthedons will become famous soon enough

NZ is so much better and cheaper, this winter was the worst/best for 60 years i live in christchurch and it's an hour a half drive to mt hutt it went off,
For five hundred nz dollars(very cheap)you can get a season pass
Old Feb 10th 2007, 8:18 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers fo replies folks.... this is a return for us after 6 years, two little reasons why are back with the grandparents

Sounds like NZ is the best choice, we remembe how much we enjoy it now, too adictive by far !

Thebears....somehow I knew u were a skiier/boarder ! have to meet up for a vin chaud after a good black run eh ?

Cheers all
SB
I'll be up for that
Old Feb 10th 2007, 8:55 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

I haven't been to NZ so I can't compare.

I liked Hotham and will go there again. Because I've got a large family, it works out cheaper to drive to Hotham than fly to NZ.

Here's the info on Hotham
http://www.ski.com.au/resorts/hotham/

Here's the info on skiing in Aus
http://www.ski.com.au/resorts/

Hotham was bought a few years ago by a new company and this website shows how they intend to take it up market.
http://www.newhotham.com.au/

I don't know how true this is as I've been given the info 2nd hand but I've been told that you don't get many places to stay on the mountain in NZ. Anyone want to confirm or refute this?

As for going overseas, Japan seems to be very popular now. That's something I'd like to do.

Last edited by MartinLuther; Feb 10th 2007 at 8:59 pm.
Old Feb 11th 2007, 12:11 am
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers folks
SB
i can only say that skiing in oz is like skiing in scotland. its better than nothing but it aint nothing flash. nz is the better option but for an extra $1000 you can go to japan. steep, deep powder guaranteed. did a season in courchevel 5 years ago and had a few trips to tignes.the snow that year was the worst in 20 years but still enjoyed it.