Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sizzler - still there?

Sizzler - still there?

Old Sep 25th 2005, 10:18 am
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute
Question Sizzler - still there?

When I was in Oz (92/93) I used to love going to Sizzler. Are they still going?
Old Sep 25th 2005, 10:22 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sizzler - still there?

Originally Posted by herrchook
Yes - and you'll recognise most of the decor too, if not a few pieces of the individual salad bar , some of those bread-rolls pre-date Ultravox , bonus eh!.
Old Sep 25th 2005, 10:22 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by herrchook
still going but its shite.....well the one here is lol
Old Sep 25th 2005, 10:27 am
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

That's a shame, it was really good when I was there. As a backpacker that was our treat night - made a change from all you can eat at Pizza Hut on a Wednesday then 2 min noodles the rest of the week
Old Sep 25th 2005, 10:29 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Sizzler was a strange phenomena.

When they first opened people queued out of the doors and down the street waiting to get in. We went to one in Cairns and one in Tasmania, plus the two we had locally (Maroubra and Bondi Junction) and the lines of people were identical in all places.

There are none around anymore (not in Sydney anyway). Our local ones quietly disappeared around 10 years ago.
Old Sep 25th 2005, 10:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

We went to one recently, just to see what the big deal is, after reading ABCDiamond's post. We looked stupid when we went in because we had no clue what to do. The salad bar wasn't too bad. Hubby had a burger and I had a lamb shank. Both were okay, not the greatest but edible. If you were starving, it would be worth the money. Oh our dog, Jock, loved the bone we brought home for him.

Mrs JTL
Old Sep 25th 2005, 10:50 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

As Mrs JTL says, not the greatest, but edible, occasionally tasty. Lots of them around here - they remind me of little Chef/Wimpy type restaurants from the 1970s........
Old Sep 25th 2005, 12:27 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nickyc
Sizzler was a strange phenomena.

When they first opened people queued out of the doors and down the street waiting to get in. We went to one in Cairns and one in Tasmania, plus the two we had locally (Maroubra and Bondi Junction) and the lines of people were identical in all places.

There are none around anymore (not in Sydney anyway). Our local ones quietly disappeared around 10 years ago.
All gone in SA ,"Charlies DINER. EMPIRE DINER ,far better...All you can eat $15 a head............... mm
Old Sep 25th 2005, 1:04 pm

A dogs life is an unknown quantity at this point

I've got to say its one of the most inappropriately named chains ever.

Sizzler... What does that bring to mind. Sizzling steaks, barbecued burgers, sausages maybe, grilled chicken breasts.

No its a salad bar with some meat you can order separately.

Sizzlers my arse. If they rename it rabbitfood it might survive

Go to a TGI Fridays or a Hogs Breath any day if you want the trashy american food. And we all do
Old Sep 25th 2005, 1:09 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

I wish there was a TGI Fridays here ! Im sick of pigging hogs breath.

I went to an Outback Steakhouse in HK because I wanted a cold beer in Time Square - and then thought - hey this isnt bad.... wonder if there's one near me in Brissie - and the back of the menu has all the locations on it ... cool.....

There are ONLY 2 in Australia and its an AUSTRALIAN freekin restaurant.

sizzlers sucks big time - oh my god Im going to be sick just thinking about that cheesey bread crap they give you
Old Sep 25th 2005, 2:13 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Spare a thought for some of us ...... when I get a Night Out at Sizzlers its a Big Occasion - the biggest after a Night Out at Small Town RSL. They are both OK, but.......

I really don't want to sound ungrateful, but when I think of the fab places in Brighton/Worthing/Sussex that we used to eat at....they just don't compare, and yet they were just as cheap. I am looking forward to three weeks of eating out every night, will probably come back fat as a house but who cares!
Then all I need to do is persuade The Bloke that there are places other than Sizzlers for a meal out.