British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   sizes in Oz (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/sizes-oz-316072/)

nightnurse2 Jul 26th 2005 4:22 am

sizes in Oz

Hi
Can anyone enlighten me on the sizes of clothes, shoes and underwear for children and women in OZ. Recently arrived and was looking at the above yesterday but unsure how their sizing equates to ours.
Appreciate any help.

Tracey

Flutterscutter Jul 26th 2005 4:24 am

Re: sizes in Oz

I found my shoe size went up by 2 and my dress size down by 2, and boy was i pleased!! :D

MrsDagboy Jul 26th 2005 4:35 am

Originally Posted by Flutterscutter
I found my shoe size went up by 2 and my dress size down by 2, and boy was i pleased!! :D

Yeah but by the look of your avatar your bra size went up by about 10 :D .

The shoe sizes are different as alot of aussie shoes arent a straight size like they use in the UK, but are whats called a "fractional fitting". Most shoes are a size XB (where x is the size), B is the width. With fractional sizes (as you have found) the size is usually 2 higher than a straight size ie like they use in runners. So if you usually wear a size 6 in the UK, you will most likely take an 8B here.

Clothes sizes I cant really help with, my closet has always had a range of about 3 sizes as clothes vary so much :scared: .

Shellfish Jul 26th 2005 4:35 am

Originally Posted by tracey brien
Hi
Can anyone enlighten me on the sizes of clothes, shoes and underwear for children and women in OZ. Recently arrived and was looking at the above yesterday but unsure how their sizing equates to ours.
Appreciate any help.

Tracey

I can only advise on women's clothing. There doesn't seem to be a hard and fast rule but I think you are generally one size smaller than in the UK. i.e. if you were a 12 in the UK, You are probably a ten (or even an 8) - great, I know :D .

Shoes are tricky. In theory you should be one size larger - 6 becomes 7 but I find this not necessarily the case and I usually have to try on a few sizes before getting the right size.

Bra sizes are also different, 36C would now be a 10C for example but as with everything it's best to try on rather than just taking for granted.

Geordie George Jul 26th 2005 4:35 am

Hi Tracey,

It's very, very hit and miss over here! I'm a size 14 in (Bonds') underwear, a size 11 in jeans and anything down to a size 8 in trousers (I'm a UK 12). :confused: Mens' shoe sizes are the same as in the UK but womens' (on the whole, cause I've found exceptions!) are two sizes bigger here (I'm a UK 5 and an Aus 7). I've just given up trying to guess and have taken to having to try stuff on, rather than just buying it knowing it will fit - like I could in the UK.

Not very helpful, sorry!

GG

Hi
Appreciate any help.

Tracey

Flutterscutter Jul 26th 2005 4:39 am

"Yeah but by the look of your avatar your bra size went up by about 10" . no, they've always been that way :D

And speaking of bra sizes. I never got the hang of that in Aus. Totally bewildering.

Geordie George Jul 26th 2005 4:42 am

Bra sizes seem the easiest thing - cup size is the same as the UK and then it's a dress size, so 12B or 14C etc (at least it is for Bonds - once you find underwear that fits, stick with it!) :D

GG

Yeah but by the look of your avatar your bra size went up by about 10 . no, they've always been that way :D

And speaking of bra sizes. I never got the hang of that in Aus. Totally bewildering.

Flutterscutter Jul 26th 2005 4:46 am

Originally Posted by Geordie George
Bra sizes seem the easiest thing - cup size is the same as the UK and then it's a dress size, so 12B or 14C etc (at least it is for Bonds - once you find underwear that fits, stick with it!) :D

GG

But that only works well if you are one of those lucky women whose proportions fit the average dress size they are referring to. Large chest small back, or large back small chest, makes life a bit difficult.

MrsDagboy Jul 26th 2005 4:51 am

Originally Posted by Shellfish

Bra sizes are also different, 36C would now be a 10C for example but as with everything it's best to try on rather than just taking for granted.

I think you'll find that a 36C would be a 16C, 32 is a 12, 34 is a 14 etc.

I take a 40D, Id love to think Im a size 14, but Im not :D .

Badge Jul 26th 2005 4:52 am

[QUOTE=Shellfish] You are probably a ten (or even an 8) - great, I know :D .
QUOTE]

You can't get round us quite that quickly. :D

badge

MrsDagboy Jul 26th 2005 4:54 am

But that only works well if you are one of those lucky women whose proportions fit the average dress size they are referring to. Large chest small back, or large back small chest, makes life a bit difficult.

Agree with that, Im quite broad across the back & shoulders from lots of swimming & manual work when I was younger (the bum is a different story :scared: :D ) & I sometimes find it hard to get a bra.

Geordie George Jul 26th 2005 4:55 am

But that's exactly the same as the UK - a 14C (Aus) is something like a 34C (UK). If you're a 12C here, it's similar to a UK 32C (lucky you!). A UK 12 works on 34, a 14 is 36 etc. That's why the back straps are adjustable, I guess, to account for those who measure 33.

And I do know all about being an akward size - that's why I was so pleased to find size 11 jeans. :D

Just thought I'd edit this with my sad top tip :o - I do actually keep my sizes (in cm!!) written down in my diary. When I'm out shopping, I can then look at this and compare to the label on stuff; some clothes do have the cm sizes on the back. (I also have a list of the dimensions of my bed, just in case the need to suddenly buy Manchester is overpowering! :eek: :D )

Shellfish Jul 26th 2005 4:59 am

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
I think you'll find that a 36C would be a 16C, 32 is a 12, 34 is a 14 etc.

I take a 40D, Id love to think Im a size 14, but Im not :D .

You are right...shows how good my memory is :rolleyes:

Ceri Jul 26th 2005 5:01 am

Hi
Appreciate any help.

Tracey

womens clothing tends to be a bit bigger here I have found. I'm a UK size 8, most size 8's here the waistbands hang off me - they are bigger than a uK 8.
It also alters from shop to shop, if you shop at a "teenage/trendy" shop the size 8 etc will be a bit smaller than the average clothes shop

mens clothing - seems to be a bit smaller, hubby wears larger clothes here than in the Uk ( and he hasn't put on weight)

shoes - I'm a uk size 4, I wear Au size 6 here, 5's are too small - 6's never seem to fit me quite right either - I need a half size I think ( which I haven't seen here) . size au 6 which depending on the brand can be too big, and sometimes too small. I can never seem to find a "just right/comfortable" pair here for my UK size 4 feet

comfortable shoes and boots were one of the things I stocked up on when I went back to the UK for a holiday.

cheers

nightnurse2 Jul 26th 2005 5:34 am

Cheers guys, thanks for help!
It just gives me an idea of what sizes to look out for and then I can try them on to ensure they fit.

Tracey